corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » More power = Bigger Brakes needed?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author More power = Bigger Brakes needed?
Eddx14xe

User status: Offline
19th Jan 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im with Jim and Steve. As said 60 mph without a turbo is the same as going 60 mph with one.

Unless he is using it on a track then there is no need to.
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eddx14xe
Im with Jim and Steve. As said 60 mph without a turbo is the same as going 60 mph with one.

apart from the fact that you can get to 60mph a lot faster with a turbo so in some situations where you would previously only be doing 40mph, you may be doing 60mph and then you will need to slow down faster.

thats like saying a 523 bmw should have the same brakes as a 540 or a 540 the same as an m5

still can only do a maximum of 70mph....
Mertin

19th Jan 12 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alot of people say 312mm brakes on the ibiza is a must have mod and some even say before a stage 1 remap.

Iv been running stage 1 for over a year, with motorfactor discs and ferrodo ds2500 pads and never felt that their not up to the job. Sometimes its better to spend money and upgrade the standard set up if you can. Decent quality pads, discs along with fresh fluid and bled properly. Some people probably instantly think bigger is always. Etter and has to be done.
I know I said decent discs and Im running motorfactors but that was because they were brand new 2nd hand for £20, once their fucked then Il get a set of brembo discs or similar. But up until now and over a year later their still fine
Eddx14xe

19th Jan 12 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
quote:

apart from the fact that you can get to 60mph a lot faster with a turbo so in some situations whereyou would previously only be doing 40mph, you may be doing 60mph and then you will need to slow down faster.

thats like saying a 523 bmw should have the same brakes as a 540 or a 540 the same as an m5

But if you get there quicker, depending on the distance covered, you will have longer to stop.

For example, both cars have a distance of 1 mile to get to 100mph then stop. The standard car gets there in say 1/2 a mile, so it has 1/2 to come to a stop. Whereas the turbo may get there in 1/4 of a mile, so it has 3/4 of a mile to stop.
Scotty C

19th Jan 12 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car would be heavier from the engine conversion. So bigger brakes would be needed in theory
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

apart from the fact that you can get to 60mph a lot faster with a turbo so in some situations whereyou would previously only be doing 40mph, you may be doing 60mph and then you will need to slow down faster.

But if you get there quicker, depending on the distance covered, you will have longer to stop.

For example, both cars have a distance of 1 mile to get to 100mph then stop. The standard car gets there in say 1/2 a mile, so it has 1/2 to come to a stop. Whereas the turbo may get there in 1/4 of a mile, so it has 3/4 of a mile to stop.

thats not how things happen in life tho, and everyone will drive with some "spirit" every now and then!

ill use a focus rs as an example as iv driven loads in various forms.

std car with 300bhp, brakes are sufficient (not great but they work)
do a 400bhp upgrade, now the car is lots faster, std brakes overheat as its now doing (for example)15mph faster on the same stretch of road, the corner is in the same place, do you a- deal with this and brake earlier to deal with the fact the brakes will over heat after a few heavy stopping sessions, or do you be, upgrade the brakes to deal with the power better? more stopping power, bigger surface area to dissipate heat, better pad compounds etc!?

i know what i would rather do!

another example, my m5, has fully floating disc and bell setup from std, biggish pad area, but hauling up 400bhp on a b road soon kills them, set of stop tech 6 pots, job done! no issues what so ever!
adiohead

19th Jan 12 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People should do brake downgrades.

Eddx14xe

I agree with you, in the sense that bigger brakes are always better. Im not denying that. Especially when your on track (which I stated) and on a 'spirited' drive. I only have a 90bhp corsa and sometimes i wish my brakes were better. So when your getting to bigger/faster cars, like the Focus RS and your M5, I fully understand where you're coming from.

What me and I think Jim is saying, is when you are driving normally, within the law then the standard brakes are sufficient.
kennySRi

quote:
quote:
quote:

And then you could say when the turbo car reaches 100mph in just 1/4 mile then the driver feels that he could get another 50mph out of it before he has to start braking at the same distance left when he used to when the car was standard and only got to 100mph in that space.

Basically, yes the weight of the car could mean that you dont have to change the brakes but when you have a more powerful car you will be doing higher speeds than you would be doing in a slower car but still in the same enviroment so when for example tha kid runs out into the road you will need brakes to make up for the extra speed you're doing.

On a track then yes, bigger brakes make sense in every way.
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I agree with you, in the sense that bigger brakes are always better. Im not denying that. Especially when your on track (which I stated) and on a 'spirited' drive. I only have a 90bhp corsa and sometimes i wish my brakes were better. So when your getting to bigger/faster cars, like the Focus RS and your M5, I fully understand where you're coming from.

What me and I think Jim is saying, is when you are driving normally, within the law then the standard brakes are sufficient.

well yes, my misses jetta diesel has an extra 100bhp over standard and makes 400lbft of torque, however she doesn't need bigger brakes as she doesn't drive it like i would, when i drive it hard i feel the brakes let it down.

but thats like saying whats the point in making it faster in the first place lol!
Adam_B

19th Jan 12 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big brakes are cool.
whitter45

19th Jan 12 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be a good question for Steve to answer as he building his Puma for track days so has uprated his brakes

At the moment he has used it on public roads so he can comment on standard against uprated with the same power
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 16:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brakes are pretty ott for road use lol, you only have to breath on them at low speeds
3CorsaMeal

19th Jan 12 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
you only have to breath on them

no wonder your stub axle melted
alan-g-w

19th Jan 12 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Just watching someone on a forum fit massive brakes, which weigh loads more than standard and also having to space wheels out 30mm to fit them, which will affect the handling.

The reason for big brakes is "fitting a VR6 turbo"

Do you really need bigger brakes because your adding more power? I can see the benefit on a track days, but on normal roads surely the car is going to be more or less the same weight and you are going to be slowing from similar speeds.

Are you seiously asking whether bigger brakes are needed if you'e going to be going the exact same speeds and drive in the exact same manner?

You're getting less and less subtle with your trolling buddy
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 12 at 16:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The compromise of larger brakes is a larger unsprung mass, which means the wheel can't react as fast, which generally has a detrimental effect on handling.

If you're going to drive no faster, no you would not do that to yourself.

If you are then sound.

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Ian]
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The compromise of larger brakes is a larger unsprung mass, which means the wheel can't react as fast, which generally has a detrimental effect on handling.

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Ian]

not always, my new bigger brakes are lighter than the std items. most decent 4-6pot conversions with a separate bell and rotor are lighter than the std set ups i have found
alan-g-w

19th Jan 12 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, the sky is blue and grass is green Ian

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by alan-g-w]
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 12 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can find brakes with better performance which are also lighter then game on, win win.
Graham88

19th Jan 12 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brakes have always been the first mod on my cars, partly to stop brake fade. They are more important than power
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wilwood 6 pots weigh less than the standard 250mm brakes
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are lightweight billet though

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Steve]
chris_uk
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can lock your wheels up using standard brakes then there is no point in upgrading the brakes.. you would be better buying better, grippier tyres.

even then i would probably upgrade the pads rather than the discs..

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by chris_uk]
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eh? That doesn't take into account fade or unsprung mass
Jambo

19th Jan 12 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like Steves brakes.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » More power = Bigger Brakes needed? 22 database queries in 0.0135348 seconds