corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Oh dear...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Oh dear...
Chris
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Feb 12 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HT lead break down, hows the miss on higher revs?

Look for white dust on the lead caused to HT arcs

AK

8th Feb 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd never even consider a 6 in a turbo car Scared they'd end up like pauls with their tips missing.

If it works it works though....
Dave

8th Feb 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VAG 1.8t's run a 6 as standard but it seems to be common to change to 7 when running extra power.

Two plug breakages in quick succession, sounds like Paul may have dodged a bullet though, assuming the miss is nothing serious.
Paul_J

8th Feb 12 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I'm hoping is that when I do the compression test, it's fine and that the plug may have been like that for a while and it's just something else.
3CorsaMeal

8th Feb 12 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took one out once and most of the white bit had fallen off. Car has been alright though.

I reckon a valve will be broken tbh.
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Feb 12 at 03:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is it with plus failing this week.

Foreign object in the bore wouldn't cause the misfire.
Shrek

9th Feb 12 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Really? Even if its jacked a valve open? Or broken the edge of a valve or damaged the valve seat? Or even taken a chunk out the piston crown? Ive seen the effects of a broken plug in a bore and the resulting damage was terrible. Head, Piston, Block, Valves etc etc.
Paul_J

9th Feb 12 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I must admit, I kinda feel Ian may be on to something.

I came home parked the car, at that moment no mis fire at all... perfectly fine. Then started car in the morning and had this misfire.

Could it just be, that the plug was fucked already? and it's just a co-incidence I noticed it now, when something else is playing up.
broster
Premium Member

9th Feb 12 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so when its warm the misfire goes?

Paul_J

9th Feb 12 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really allowed it to get warm broster, what's your thinking?
Shrek

9th Feb 12 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Not really allowed it to get warm broster, what's your thinking?

How bad is the misfire? Is it a hesitation or a definate cylinder not firing? Any tapping or knocking?
daymoon
Premium Member

9th Feb 12 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had same happen to me, I was driving and the car suddenly lost most of the power. I drove it for good 30 miles as well to get home.

After replacing the plugs car run fine apart from slight popping if I pressed accelerator to the floor and released it quickly.

That stuff on the plugs is fairly soft so I doubt it would make any damage tbh...
gavin18787
Premium Member

9th Feb 12 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shame you got the plugs already I found a place that does a set for £30
going to give mine a service when it warms up

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Feb 12 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shrek
Really? Even if its jacked a valve open? Or broken the edge of a valve or damaged the valve seat? Or even taken a chunk out the piston crown? Ive seen the effects of a broken plug in a bore and the resulting damage was terrible. Head, Piston, Block, Valves etc etc.
What I mean is, there must be incidental damage as per your list or something else by coincidence for there to a misfire, ie. that might be quite bad, get a look in there and don't run it.
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Feb 12 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Could it just be, that the plug was fucked already? and it's just a co-incidence I noticed it now, when something else is playing up.
Possibly, although that plug probably wouldn't have been doing its job.
broster
Premium Member

9th Feb 12 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chances are that the broken plug could have damaged the valve seat, so now it won't seal hence the misfire. Or it could be the fact the coil pack has packed up, do they run individual coils?
alan-g-w

9th Feb 12 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shrek
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

I'd be assuming the worst, as in the above unfortunately. The misfire, with the old plugs, could have been caused by the piece of the old plug getting jammed between the valve and the valve seat whilst the engine was running - as said, this would cause the valve to not seat properly causing a misfire. Changing the plugs won't have an effect on that obviously so you're still getting the misfire.

When it runs well without the misfire you might find that the valve's just been sooted up enough as well as heated up and expanded enough to make it seat - when it cools down it might contract that tiny little bit causing it not to seat properly. It's a grim possibility but the first thing I'd be doing is making sure the bore's clear anyway

Hope I'm wrong though mate
Paul_J

9th Feb 12 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plot thickens...

Compression check seemed okay, about 220-230 across all 4 cylinders.

Mis fire still happening, smell of fuel present after car runs a while... the new spark plug in the hole where the fucked spark plug once sat is completely clean, and the other 3 are dirtied up...

... I'm starting to think failing coil on that cylinder?
alan-g-w

9th Feb 12 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good to hear compression's sound
Dave

9th Feb 12 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it have individual coils that you can pull while the engine is running?
Paul_J

9th Feb 12 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes
Warren G

9th Feb 12 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

swap coils over, the disconnect one at a time

see if the misfire moves with the coil...
RS6

9th Feb 12 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

happened to my corsa c spark plug broke up and fell inside the engine, had it rebuilt but never sounded right sold it soon after [/cheerful]
Paul_J

9th Feb 12 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah warren I'll swap the coils over tommorrow, but not sure how I can really see where the mis fire is moving as I don't have the car on a reader

best I can actually do ... is that the new plugs are all dirtied up already except for the one with the dodgy coil. So swapping the coils over, if the clean plug gets dirty, it suggests that's what was wrong and I'll go get a new coil

[Edited on 09-02-2012 by Paul_J]
Warren G

9th Feb 12 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you unplug two coils you will know thats its only run on two

start by unplugging the one where the plugs gone - no engine note change then its that out misfiring

unplug another - your hear the difference....

now swap the suspected faulty coil with another, and see if the missfire goes to that cylinder...

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Oh dear... 23 database queries in 0.0199089 seconds