corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » KW release iPhone adjustable suspension

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author KW release iPhone adjustable suspension
RKS

User status: Offline
26th May 12 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
the point is people who dont really know what they are doing will be "experimenting" and fucking up settings that are already set optimally for there car

[Edited on 26-05-2012 by Steve]

as long as you can get back to those original settings then I dont see the problem!

but I do agree that its completely overkill and not really going to give the average track day driver any form of advantage, I don't even have manually adjustable suspension on my track car.
Gary
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no problem. Its just completly pointless for the average user is what everyone is saying.

Steve would have it if it was cheap
Steve
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably would tbh as long as it didnt weigh shit loads, even without all that shite on it they are probably better coilovers than what i have
Gary
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame you spent all your money on powder coating and fake carbon
Jambo

26th May 12 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
hes on about the technology involved, its not new.

i cant see the market for this tbh, its obviously not going to be cheap, and anyone that seriously into track driving will not be buying stuff and adjusting it on an iphone.

so that leaves scene kids with more money than sense

contradiction then? No market, then inclanation Scene kidss with far too much money? That seems lik the perfect market tbh

Nic Barnes

26th May 12 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see i think it is a great idea. in fact you can log a lot of aftermarket stuff with iPhones these days. think log works from innovate does it. loads of obd scanners and code clearing stuff.

i just think the type of people that would buy it are not the type of people its aimed at, and the ones it is aimed at are more concerned by the suspension than the gimmick of setting it up. thats my views anyway. personally id not have it.
Steve
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes exactly barnes

Jambo: yes i suppose the scene kids are a market lol, but not really a market that holds much justification, in my mind anyway
Nic Barnes

26th May 12 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would be much better when the likes of dta and emerald (i use emerald hence mentioning it) make logging and sensor read outs available to your phone. id definitely get among that instead of having to plug my lap top in all the time.
antnee

27th May 12 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
hes on about the technology involved, its not new.

i cant see the market for this tbh, its obviously not going to be cheap, and anyone that seriously into track driving will not be buying stuff and adjusting it on an iphone.

so that leaves scene kids with more money than sense

This shows you haven't been to many proper track days. Go to some of the days that you pay £200+ for, there are young retired and CEOs who spend their days on different tracks, spanking £100,000 cars around the track for fun. Some use super cars, others use nicely modded cars. This sort of system would work well, set it to comfort for the drive to the track, get there whip your phone out, stiffen and lower it with out getting your hands near any dirt or tools.
Steve
Premium Member

27th May 12 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry? I think you need to recap where exactly iv been and what iv done before you start to try talking to me in an undermining manner

You dont get that much more exclusive then the ring, iv seen all sorts from boy racers to full race teams rock up with there cock up, i know the type of people you are on about and they are equally scene as what im referring too.

Again, they will sell a few to people, but the product is a bit of a contradiction of itself, very lmited market imo

[Edited on 27-05-2012 by Steve]
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

27th May 12 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tein have a system to adjust the damping via a control box in the car, makes much more sense than farting about with a phone and the extra function that this offers of height adjustment is pointless because it's just going to knock your tracking out.

The only way I can see the height adjustment being helpful is if you constantly use the lowest setting but occasionally need to raise it for speed bumps but then you don't want to be farting about with your phone, you want a switch or knob in the car.

I can just about accept the accuair system as it could be used at shows etc. when you're talking to someone and want to demonstrate it without getting in the car but for coilover adjustment, needing a phone to adjust it makes it inconvenient.
Steve
Premium Member

27th May 12 at 11:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah mike exactly, there are already products out there that do this in a far more professional and appropriate manner
ed

27th May 12 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe stuff like this does have a place though? As Nic said, being able to get data from a data logger could be useful. Perhaps you could use an iPad or something to read data and make adjustments.
Nic Barnes

27th May 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100% id be among that ed, instead of having to load up a piss slow lap top just to adjust percentages in my map at times. its tedious and well, the battery lasts nothing. iPhone/ipad to do it would be spot on and useful.
ed

27th May 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus when you're in the middle of Bruntingthorpe doing a test session, having a 8-9hr battery could be pretty useful.
Steve
Premium Member

27th May 12 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a difference between logging data, and adjusting things that largely affect the handling of your car.

dont have a problem with using a phone for data capturing, i do it myself, but i wouldnt use one to pimp my ride at a track
Nic Barnes

27th May 12 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would, for settings in my ecu if they need adjusting. like times i need to adjust the boost per gear, takes me 10 mins as i have to wait for the lap top to wind up etc etc.
ed

27th May 12 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be an interesting project to port over MegaTune to iPad. All the MegaSquirt stuff is open source so it could be doable.
ed

27th May 12 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Already done actually: http://mobisquirt.org/user-manual/connecting-to-megasquirt/
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

27th May 12 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah actually adjusting maps or things like diagnostics, it's ideal but they're both things that need a device to input or read data, adjusting suspension remotely is all down to motors which although they can be controlled by a phone, it's much more practical to use a hardwired, easy to access control box.

Think of it this way, if you was in the dealers buying a new car that has a 'Sport' button but there was an option to remove the 'Sport' button and instead control it via your iPhone would you choose that option?
LeeM

27th May 12 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Sorry? I think you need to recap where exactly iv been and what iv done before you start to try talking to me in an undermining manner

You dont get that much more exclusive then the ring, iv seen all sorts from boy racers to full race teams rock up with there cock up, i know the type of people you are on about and they are equally scene as what im referring too.

Again, they will sell a few to people, but the product is a bit of a contradiction of itself, very lmited market imo

Nurburgring, exclusive? It's a public toll road
Ian
Site Administrator

27th May 12 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it for road? In which case does suspension matter that much, the fact a sheep could in the middle of the road around the corner matters more.

Is it for track? In which case a few things -

Is the car being driven well enough for the driver to make informed decisions about what to change.

Can those changes be ratified in any reliable way - even comparing lap times they can vary even in the same conditions with the same driver. Traffic, nerves, tyres, brakes (they're changing as you drive, not under your control unless you budget for new ones often) will all skew any reference measurements about your adjustments.

Does it matter to that degree that you're chasing milliseconds and if so, why are you not racing properly.

If you're racing properly, why is your car heavy and complicated and why are you not leaving things like that to people with knowledge.

I don't really even buy the knowledge point, a good theory book will teach you a lot more than faffing about at t the road side. I just don't think most drivers most of the time can drive consistently enough to make judgements of any quality about the changes that they've made.
Steve
Premium Member

27th May 12 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:

Nurburgring, exclusive? It's a public toll road

firstly, have you been? secondly, have you been? if the answer to any of those is no then stfu

however..technically you are correct.

in reality its one of the most sought after destination in the world to drive on track. What its termed as technically does not stop all and sundry turning up and it operating as a track which is what it was designed to be (it was an F1 track at one point), most top manufacturers use it to benchmark there cars, wether it has an exit up in nurburg and an exit down in adenau with some barriers does not detract from that at all

then when you factor in you have the gp track which is technically a track next to it, im failing to see your point

back to the topic, Ian has it nailed really

John

27th May 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your problem seems to be that you have a slow laptop barnes.

If you bring out your old ipad in 5 years time that will probably be slow too.
Nic Barnes

27th May 12 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need serial connection hammer, plus it was free. No point spending few hundred on something I only use once in a while.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » KW release iPhone adjustable suspension 22 database queries in 0.0173650 seconds