corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Official government petition to make 'Engineer' a protected professional title

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Official government petition to make 'Engineer' a protected professional title
eckers90

User status: Offline
12th Jul 12 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
More so than a "dude" who commissions someone elses work, yes.

you dont fully understand what the title commission means. i dont just turn it on.
i chemically flush the system, i inhibit the system. i balance the system. if all valves were open do you thing heat would get to the last units blah blah, every single unit has a flowrate. something i have to achieve, any pipework crosses where mistakes have been made. i set up every single valve on the system.
neil h

12th Jul 12 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by eckers90
quote:

you dont fully understand what the title commission means. i dont just turn it on.
i chemically flush the system, i inhibit the system. i balance the system. if all valves were open do you thing heat would get to the last units blah blah, every single unit has a flowrate. something i have to achieve, any pipework crosses where mistakes have been made. i set up every single valve on the system.

Did you design the system? Spec the components to build it? Write the procedures to commission it?
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok my persepective. put someone doing a job for 3 years, put someone to uni for 3 years learning the same job. who would be better at that job? the person doing the job for 3 years hands down. because he has come across every single snag that a job entails.
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:
quote:

Did you design the system? Spec the components to build it? Write the procedures to commission it?

not one bit, thats a design engineers job. but if theres a mistake in the design, i personally guarantee il find it and correct it.
Dave

12th Jul 12 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I understand exactly what commission means, I'm not trying to underplay what you do, just stating that it's not engineering.
neil h

12th Jul 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ok my persepective. put someone doing a job for 3 years, put someone to uni for 3 years learning the same job. who would be better at that job? the person doing the job for 3 years hands down. because he has come across every single snag that a job entails.

Yeah see hence my comments about the petition being crap. This is where the professional accreditation aspect comes in, to achieve Ieng/Ceng you need to have a certain amount of practical experience and produce a portfolio highlighting key examples. That way you demonstrate both academic and practical competences.
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dave it is engineering though? its just a different engineering to what you have been involved with, engineering is making something and i believe what i do is part of making something.
a ferrari is commissioned. every car manufacturer commissions everything they build. its part of a process.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Jul 12 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder how many of the people signing would be wrongly titled engineers

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
neil h

12th Jul 12 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
I wonder how many of the people signing would be wrongly titled engineers

Probably quite a few

A mate of mine seems to think he's gonna become a server engineer with some sorta degree equivalent...
Simon

12th Jul 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure the example of Architect on that page is quite right if they want to make the term Engineer as exclusive as they make out. You can't call yourself an Architect unless you have done the necessary qualifications and are listed on the Architects Registration Board, those who do call themselves an Architect are often fined. However this only applies to those trying to use the title of 'Architect' under it's traditional role. IT is another profession where the term architect is used, nothing the Architects Registration Board can do about those people
Dave

12th Jul 12 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
dave it is engineering though? its just a different engineering to what you have been involved with, engineering is making something and i believe what i do is part of making something.
a ferrari is commissioned. every car manufacturer commissions everything they build. its part of a process.

I am not an engineer, although I do make stuff, maybe I should drop the joiner title and start calling myself a timber and wood based products engineer.

nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jul 12 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eckers I wasn't trying to undermine you at all. I'm sure you're very good at what you do and I'm sure you're highly skilled but that still doesn't mean you're an engineer.

As has been mentioned, this petition is for people who gain an accredited degree, not just any old engineering degree. Us Uni students aren't stuck up, you're the one getting worked up and labelling people in a detrimental way.

MX5 Project Thread
gazza808

12th Jul 12 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a mechanical engineer
What really gets up my bit is when people assume I work on cars?

Couldn't give a shit about the title lark,
More useless petitions

Or am I not an engineer because I haven't done some bullshit engineering degree and actually know something?

[Edited on 12-07-2012 by gazza808]
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jul 12 at 20:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not everyone who does a degree has no common sense and doesn't know what they're doing. I think some of you lot in industry are far more ignorant.

MX5 Project Thread
eckers90

12th Jul 12 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant speak for every trade, but what i do isnt recognised, therefore there isnt a uni course for anything like it. so its impossible for me to gain accreditation, so because i cannot get a degree for it what am i supposed to call myself?
i was hired as a commissioning engineer, its wat it says on my contract so thats what i am. because my job isnt accredited yet probably 75% of the people in it dont know what there doing, they get by just blagging clients. gives us good gys a bad name. but i do understand both sides of the argument, if you get a degree you should be accredited slightly different.
Bart

12th Jul 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
my trade doesnt have qualifications. yet it takes 2 years of on the job learning to become an engineer, and a brain of course. so why should that take my title off me?

Agreed and am in the same position with around 10 years experience in my current job.
Job title is 'Electrical Design Engineer'
davegreen
Premium Member

12th Jul 12 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spent 7 years in college studing to be an agricultural engineer, not just a spanner monkey who replaces faulty parts but call themselves engineers. I make things, improve/modify machines, diagnose faults, strip, inspect, reassmble every part of the machine, engines, transmittions, hydraulic systems, electronics. Engineer is used to often in job titles for roles which just are not engineering roles but lesser roles to make them sound better and more important than they realy are!!
gazza808

12th Jul 12 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
Not everyone who does a degree has no common sense and doesn't know what they're doing. I think some of you lot in industry are far more ignorant.

Try having some snotty uni grad try telling you the what your doing is wrong,
Then you try it his/her way wasting two weeks, only to have to spend two more weeks putting it all right,
All because they claim they know better?
I may be tarring them all with the same brush, but I've only met one so far that's been a top old boy.

And yes I am open to ideas off others, but they try to look down on us because we are time served/college trained.
And yes they do usually pull out the old education card.
Btw I'm not saying they don't know anything as most get paid to make the big decisions for this, its just the attitude I come across.

[Edited on 12-07-2012 by gazza808]
neil h

12th Jul 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you've got x,y,z years of experience. Well done. Have you got the academic qualifications to back up that experience? Professional registration with a registered institute?

Lets look at it another way, most people can self diagnose diseases with the aid of NHS direct. Does that make them doctors? No, years of training and experience makes them doctors. Why should being an engineer be any different.
baza31

12th Jul 12 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too many people bullshit themselves up to make them feel important . The job title technician and engineer are used too widely and this is probably because employers can't use the title 'dogs body'
Root

12th Jul 12 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who gives a fuck
j10E W

12th Jul 12 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a engineer and i couldn't give a fuck
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jul 12 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i dont fit nothing.

neil h

12th Jul 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
who gives a fuck

People who are actually highly qualified/experienced in there field and want a title that isn't devalued by aircon fitter.

quote:
Originally posted by j10E W
im a engineer and i couldn't give a fuck

Proof?
LeeM

12th Jul 12 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing an engineering degree, that wont make me an engineer. Who cares about the title?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Official government petition to make 'Engineer' a protected professional title 23 database queries in 0.0179219 seconds