corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling

Poll: power vs handling
Power 38 (55.88%)
Handling 30 (44.12%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author power vs handling
Whittie

User status: Offline
16th Jul 12 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can power out of bad handling situations.

Powaaa
antnee

16th Jul 12 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Road car, power.
John

16th Jul 12 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Enough power to beat most stuff away from a set of traffic lights, outside of that would obviously depend on what you were using it for.
3CorsaMeal

16th Jul 12 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corrado is perfect, has decent power and handling without being too expensive to run or buy, also looks individual and isn't very common, young lads don't buy them as they can't understand the price nor the insurance, so its great and doesn't suffer from too many chav versions.
Jambo

16th Jul 12 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Handling deffo.
Eck
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Easy, handling.

Power is boring, handling is fun

Need more power then
adiohead

16th Jul 12 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, I prefer driving a slower car with better handling to a quick car.

I consider my car to have effortless speed (not the quickest but quicker than most), and although I love the engine I'd much rather it drove like my old zetec-s or my doblo van.

[Edited on 16-07-2012 by adiohead]
Brett
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a road going car, power for sure.
Ben G

16th Jul 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i chose handling, but i think on the roads i use, power would be better.
Robin
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Situation dependent IMO.

On the road, power all day long.

Track however, I've seen 90bhp cars do better times than 300bhp cars round small circuits
possy

17th Jul 12 at 05:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big power cars are fun in a straight line and coming out of corners with loads of wheel spin but a well setup car should be able to handle the power it has as well as striaght line speed
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 05:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Handling all day although ultimately a quick car is one that has power and can put it down.

I'm starting to think the Puma needs more power now, just because it does get a bit boring on straights and I've lots of time to think, plus no amount of on-the-limit driving will get your past some turbocharged cock who isn't using his mirrors.

But yeah, drive a shit car properly, you'll enjoy it. And when you can do that, make it less shit.
Linch

17th Jul 12 at 05:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheres the ///M Option?
taylorboosh

17th Jul 12 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

///M - power and handling
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 07:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:
Originally posted by Sly_SRi
Can't decide between them tbh. I used to have a car that could out-handle a Porsche, now I have a car that can out accelerate a Porsche...both are awesome in different ways! Within a budget though it's hard to have both.

I have to ask... What cars

I also hope its not a boxter your talking about..

Previous car was a 106 gti with a quaife diff on R888's
Current car as you probably realised is a Corsa Let phase 3.5

As for the Porsche...who knows, I purposely didn't specify.

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
taylorboosh

17th Jul 12 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally think good handling is a matter of opinion
Nic Barnes

17th Jul 12 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ever noticed how people with slow cars always go on about handling? 5mph more round a corner can't be that much more exciting.
3CorsaMeal

17th Jul 12 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even F1 cars have to go down to 1st gear and 30mph for some corners, bet a nissan micra could also do the same corner at 30mph
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Handling everyday of the week on any car! Unless you want to win more traffic light grand prix's of cause.

Handling and grip are in my eyes seperate.

You can have a car that is very well balanced, very informative, predictable and has a nice feel, that to me is handling.

If you add just add grip (r888 or ao48) all your do is alter the limit of where the original tyres loose traction. Normally its under the same situation as before just at a higher speed.

Just to elaborate a little, on the vx with standard tyres it was very predictable you knew when i started to loose grip on the front end if you pushed too hard and on the back end when you put through too much power mid corner etc but it was very balanced and you could just really put it where you wanted. This to me was a hood handling car. It handled the power well, the grip levels well And the brakes well. As soon as the r888's were added of cause In the same situation at the same speed the issue dissapeard but as soon as you get faster and to the limit of the r888's the same issues returned but you were just going faster. Ultimatly you had to change other parts of the car (geo) so the car did what you wanted it to do. But just because grip was added doesnt mean it was a better balanced car it was the same just the limits were higher.

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by chris_uk]
Gary
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Says the man who threw a charger at an already capable car
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Says the man who threw a charger at an already capable car

I say it all the time, i had more real world fun on track with a 220bhp vx on standard tyres/brakes etc than i do now. I had to actually think about what i was doing now i just turn in and it grips, then POWWWAAA on the straights its a bit boring but... Thats what happens when you chase laptimes.
Nic Barnes

17th Jul 12 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you need power for lap times? Interesting. Kinda proves a lot of this handling on slow cars to be pointless!!
Baskey

17th Jul 12 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I often use all my cars power when driving on the road yet rarely use all it's handeling ability, so I chose power
John

17th Jul 12 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Course doesn't even sound similar to cause.
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
So you need power for lap times? Interesting. Kinda proves a lot of this handling on slow cars to be pointless!!

Yes and no.

I made my car handle then stop then i added the power. I didnt add the power first.

The guy i take my car to does alot of the elise trophy cars and one had 600 bhp and it was hard to get the power down, dropped it to 450 and they were 2 secs a lap quicker.

Basically you need to have a good base to start with then add power.

Lets say your cars power on a standard bog standard corsa against niels ta corsa which would you say would win around many of the uk's tracks?

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling 25 database queries in 0.0155079 seconds