corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Motorsport

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Motorsport
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Sep 12 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That doesn't rule it out. In fact that probably addresses a lot of what you're talking about. You just have to drive a Metro?
Warren G

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 12 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pah no chance
Warren G

23rd Sep 12 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Other option is to do another year of the MSA Track day trophrey in the Corsa...

Full Weld in cage, and fire extinguishers and detune it to below 200bhp/tonne and its sorted

Its more sorted than the teg, 4 pots, gearing perfect, had geo set up...

just needs a few bits and its ready
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Sep 12 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That vectra is awesome, perfect for someone who wants to spend a few quid on an engine and do some sort of Motorsport IMO
tom130691
Premium Member

24th Sep 12 at 04:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brit car tbh
Alex_Rally

24th Sep 12 at 05:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G
Other option is to do another year of the MSA Track day trophrey in the Corsa...

Full Weld in cage, and fire extinguishers and detune it to below 200bhp/tonne and its sorted

Its more sorted than the teg, 4 pots, gearing perfect, had geo set up...

just needs a few bits and its ready

turn the corsa into a rally car, would be great, then u wont need to de-tune it.

how much is it to enter that track day trophy ??
stage rallying does cost a canny bit ,entry fees for a single event/weekend can be from £200-500 easy.
then you would need all fuel-tyres-etcetc but u will have a navigator who will be paying towards the entry fee so that will cut the costs
corsadonk
Premium Member

24th Sep 12 at 05:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has some nice and close racing, I don't think may people use Corsa's.

http://www.750mc.co.uk/F-stock-hatch.php
chris_uk
Premium Member

24th Sep 12 at 06:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh i think the MSV is one of if not the cheapest propper racing series there is.

lets face it, you wasnt really putting a lot of money into the MSV trophy as it was so i think you will struggle to find anything cheaper.

go-karting maybe?
Warren G

24th Sep 12 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was more the cost of getting to the advent..

cost £500 one weekend on fuel and trailor hire, that what was the killer for me

the actual event wasnt too bad,

And that 750mc has to many rules that ive already broken...
jr

24th Sep 12 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

autosolo/autotesting ?
jr

24th Sep 12 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if not look at the 2cv events etc
Ben J

24th Sep 12 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
autosolo/autotesting ?

I was going to say Autotesting as its cheap as chips but I think Warren wants circuit racing??

Still worth doing a few autotests tho. Nothing better for improving car control abilities and its great fun, although you never get above 2nd gear, and 2nd gear is pretty rare too!

Baskey

24th Sep 12 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/tintops.htm
Jed D

24th Sep 12 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make it into a drag car, cheap enough
Rob E

24th Sep 12 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you looked at the 750 motor club? We used to race through them in Uni in the formula 4 class and we didnt have a huge budget for the year. I think it worked out about £2k if we wanted to enter every round (including club memebership etc)

http://www.750mc.co.uk/racing.php will show you the classes that they race
antnee

24th Sep 12 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In reality, no form of motorsport is cheap if you want to be competitive.

The MR2 championship is supposed to be a cheap series, you could possibly do it for less than 5k if you want to be at the back 10-15k will see you up towards the right end, top guys are spending 20-25k. Few of the drivers have lambos, etc as dailies.

VAG Trophy isn't too bad if your in Class B, as the rules are much more open than the MR2's it allows you to look around for parts, get stuff that is cheaper, etc. I would take a stab in the dark that my friend spends less than 10k and he is always pushing for class wins (Ibiza Cupra 1.8T)
smcGSI16V

24th Sep 12 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brscc. Plenty of different racing series there.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Sep 12 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G
cost £500 one weekend on fuel and trailor hire, that what was the killer for me

Where was that? Does seem a bit of a shit deal.
Graeme
Premium Member

24th Sep 12 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do the "road rallying" that has been talked about. And yes you are ment to stick to the limits but when you have to work out routes and then go that way you need to make up time by flying along. In villages you need to stick to limits though. It's more on a good navigator to get good at it. I've been doing it one season now and tbh it's come naturally to me, (im the navigator). But remember you need to stomach it as a navigation as it can make you feel very sick whilst flying along looking very closely at a map. Cheap fun but you do need a car with uprated suspension (not lowered) ideally, under body guards and harnesses. We use a mk1 Astra redtop that was prepped for hill climbs but suspension has all been modified now.

Also another one is autograss racing. Looks really good fun and relatively cheap for what it is. Would love to get into it one day but I have to many hobbies. Or warren get a enduro bike and come racing with me. 2hour races will kill you!

[Edited on 24-09-2012 by Graeme]
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Sep 12 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uprated but not lowered and under-body guards, how come? Its just public roads right?
Graeme
Premium Member

24th Sep 12 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well yes but you use white roads (basically a green lane) and a lot of single track roads. It's not necessary to uprated stuff but its highly recommended. Also will help the navigator as standard suspension will make it wallowy and exaggerate the sickness feeling but then to hard and it's worse.
Ben J

25th Sep 12 at 06:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
I do the "road rallying" that has been talked about. And yes you are ment to stick to the limits but when you have to work out routes and then go that way you need to make up time by flying along. In villages you need to stick to limits though. It's more on a good navigator to get good at it. I've been doing it one season now and tbh it's come naturally to me, (im the navigator). But remember you need to stomach it as a navigation as it can make you feel very sick whilst flying along looking very closely at a map. Cheap fun but you do need a car with uprated suspension (not lowered) ideally, under body guards and harnesses. We use a mk1 Astra redtop that was prepped for hill climbs but suspension has all been modified now.

Also another one is autograss racing. Looks really good fun and relatively cheap for what it is. Would love to get into it one day but I have to many hobbies. Or warren get a enduro bike and come racing with me. 2hour races will kill you!

[Edited on 24-09-2012 by Graeme]

My Dad used to road rally as the Navigator back in the day. I know they used to be absolutley flying alot of the time. He told me that the sickness is something you learn to control. They used to use a Lotus Cortina that had cage, sump guard, Cibe Oscars, buckets, harnesses, extinguisher etc. One one event they ended up upside down in a ditch, which thankfully was only a foot full of water. My Dad had to break the back window with his map board so they could get out. Cage etc did its job. So its not as tame as people are making out, or it wasn't back in the day. They were alway held in the middle of the night too, so the roads were quiet.

He also told me a story of them over shooting a junction and ending up facing the wrong way in the middle of someones front lawn. So the driver did a handbrake turn on the lawn and off they went, leaving the lawn in a right mess. They went back the next day to apologise and pay for repairs!!

Sure he said that back then in 70's/80's the police did or tried to ban it.

Sounds good fun imo.

[Edited on 25-09-2012 by Ben J]
Steve
Premium Member

25th Sep 12 at 07:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that wont be official road rallying ben, will be just some sort of rallying on the road hence the name,

any motorsport that doesnt require you to wear a helmet is not going to be fast paced end of, iv read the rules and as pointed out previously is about navigation, not about speed.

The people i spoke to about it when i pointed out lack of helmets and the rules, were full of 's and the like, which says to me they arent following them particularly well.

If people are driving faster than they should in it, thats up to them, but its breaking the rules so you might aswell just go out on the public roads anytime and drive like a lunatic

[Edited on 25-09-2012 by Steve]
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Sep 12 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way they are set out by the organiser of each event they will do the max legal speed limit on each road and you have to get as close to that as possible with out coming in before it.

But also you have to work out the route where as the organiser obviously knows it when they are working the times out.

It is fast paced! It's called 12 car navigational excercise. You are not allowed more than 12 cars per event or that makes it a rally which is closed roads etc.

There are loades of local clubs. Steve why not go to one and asked to do marked maps. They may have some spare to use and that way you know the route and all you have to do is follow it. See if you think it's slow then.
Ben J

25th Sep 12 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
that wont be official road rallying ben, will be just some sort of rallying on the road hence the name,

any motorsport that doesnt require you to wear a helmet is not going to be fast paced end of, iv read the rules and as pointed out previously is about navigation, not about speed.

The people i spoke to about it when i pointed out lack of helmets and the rules, were full of 's and the like, which says to me they arent following them particularly well.

If people are driving faster than they should in it, thats up to them, but its breaking the rules so you might aswell just go out on the public roads anytime and drive like a lunatic

[Edited on 25-09-2012 by Steve]

It was "official" road rallying mate. Thats what road rallying is/was. It wasn't closed stage. My Dad has never done closed stage. Remember back in the 70's/80's the rules/regs were alot more relaxed. IIRC my dad and the driver used to wear open face helmets, but that was their own choice, you didn't have too.

Alot of the roads used are out in the sticks, white roads, and although they are, say a 60mph limit its really hard to actually do that speed due to the bends/twists and state of the road surface (hence needing sump guards). Which is where the challenge lies.

I know alot of roads round here that are national, but its bloody impossible to maintain an average of national down them.

[Edited on 25-09-2012 by Ben J]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Motorsport 22 database queries in 0.0139601 seconds