corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine predicament

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine predicament
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 12 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adrian Flux HIC or brentacre for insurance Chris, they're all not too bad on insurance tbh.

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did brentach and you have to have a years ncb and flux was too expensive and HIC quoted me 4,900 :/
Darryl H
Premium Member

2nd Nov 12 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, a lot higher than mine

I thought you were 19? How many NCB?

Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

19 5points no ncb :/
Darryl H
Premium Member

2nd Nov 12 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh Bummer

smcGSI16V

2nd Nov 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.8 small block?
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
1.8 small block?

What do they come out of? How easy is the conversion? Will i have to rebuild the engine is all im thinking :/
fazza

2nd Nov 12 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strip yours and buy a tidy cheap sport and swap your bits over.

Most 1.4/1.6 16v engines only smoke from stem seals so not a huge cost.

from experience as Darryl said most havent been rebuilt 2 months ago with lost paperwork, or only done 80k

For the outright cost I wouldnt do another XE conversion, if your set on that though... Buy a complete XE Corsa imo that you can see running/drive(can be had for about £700quid) and swap it all into your shell.

That way you have all mounts/shafts/exhaust etc etc etc all ready to go
smcGSI16V

2nd Nov 12 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Davey's build thread.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=458623&page=1

Warren knows some ins and outs as well as loom building etc.
swill_omnibus

2nd Nov 12 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher
quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
1.8 small block?

What do they come out of? How easy is the conversion? Will i have to rebuild the engine is all im thinking :/

No more work than the 1.4/1.6 just different wiring IIRC and newer engine etc.

Can get them out of astra, vectra & zafira and engine code you would need to look for is X18XE1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsa-X12XE-engine-/110970160037?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d65643a5

Theres a few more on ebay too.

[Edited on 02-11-2012 by swill_omnibus]
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers bud but thats miles away from me :/ Nothing near atall! Will just have to wait and see what pops up
swill_omnibus

2nd Nov 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah worded my message wrong. link for a replacement X12XE btw but for 80 can get it delivered though see what you mean.

But in regards of engine route in future from experience i'd go for the 1.8
Kieran
Premium Member

2nd Nov 12 at 22:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put a new 1.2/1.4 in there cheap as chips. Then buy my xe that will be like new next year!
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kieran
Put a new 1.2/1.4 in there cheap as chips. Then buy my xe that will be like new next year!

Deal!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Nov 12 at 00:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Finding a 1.2 is proving fairly difficult

Nonsense, there are loads out there.

Just buy a whole car for £100 and sell what you don't need = free engine.

Save up for the valver and do that when you can insure it.
Jamie-C

3rd Nov 12 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can't afford to insure the XE then don't go near it for the time being as I could see it being insured as a 1.2 tbh. Get a 1.2 in there for the time being, use your head.
davegreen
Premium Member

3rd Nov 12 at 05:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like every one else has said, wait untill you can afford the insurance on a conversion and to do it properly. just do your head gasket, buy a haynes manual start learning and you'll save a whole lot more money. dont forget the x20xev for conversions either cheep as to get a good runing car simple to fit and just as easy to tune. you dont get the same top end power as the xe but still great fun! would be very easy to up grade to a z20let down the line to.
Christopher

3rd Nov 12 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok guys thanks for your advice! Seriously Ian there's not a lot about! Everyone down here has 150,000 miles or are up for £1000! :/ but will keep looking! I just need to get this sorted quick :/ and I probably could afford the xe'd insurance I just would have no life and certainly not stupid enough to insure it as a 1.2 Jamie! Especially with 5 points :/
Sean

3rd Nov 12 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Buy another 1.2 engine, swap them over and save your money until your insurance drops?

Thought about this, only thing that worries me is a. sourcing an engine with low miles/runs well b. what if that goes wrong and ive just wasted the money :/

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Do the HG on the 1.2 yourself?

I would, i just would need to have head skimmed and im worried what the piston rings may look like, plus im not the most mechanically minded and i know if "sean" is reading this he will be thinking the same

I don't care how many people disagree with me on this one, for the sake of £50 it's stupid not to get the head skimmed! You'll only be taking it all apart again when you find the heads distort

[Edited on 03-11-2012 by Sean]
Ian W

3rd Nov 12 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the head gasket on the 1.2 yourself, simple engine to do it on and nice and cheap.

Don't waste your time and money looking for a mint low mileage 1.2, it'll still be slow and shit. Quick fix yours and save up for an XE.

I personally wouldn't rebuild an XE either, just buy one you can see running, new cambelt, waterpump etc and service and stick it in and enjoy.
*CorsaCal*

3rd Nov 12 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a sport for the time being (either 1.4 or 1.6 16v) my 1.4 takes a hell of a lot of abuse on track/strip and as a daily and it only cost me £575 and thats done nearly 100,000 miles.

Then do the XE conversion later. This is what im doing atm cuz ive done 2 years in the sport so far and now have a bit of cash to build my XE. The other tip i noticed when buying an XE is that it works out cheaper to buy one already converted even if you then swap the engines over and/or scrap the shell the engine came in.
*CorsaCal*

3rd Nov 12 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
I personally wouldn't rebuild an XE either, just buy one you can see running, new cambelt, waterpump etc and service and stick it in and enjoy.

yer im fully rebuilding my XE atm and wish i hadnt bother cuz it looks mint but is gonna cost me a lot for new bearings/ rings etc which im sure would have been fine. owell least i will know it should be a strong engine.
Christopher

3rd Nov 12 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
Do the head gasket on the 1.2 yourself, simple engine to do it on and nice and cheap.

Don't waste your time and money looking for a mint low mileage 1.2, it'll still be slow and shit. Quick fix yours and save up for an XE.

Exactly what i was going to do but if you think about it, most xe's these days have done atleast 100,000+ miles so bearings and piston rings probably would have seen better days so whilst its off the road id rather prevent it from breaking than put it in for a year, it blow up and im in a similar situation to what i am now :/ Thats the only reason i want to rebuild most bits :/
Sean

3rd Nov 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about the timing kit you need?
Christopher

3rd Nov 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will find someone with one

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine predicament 23 database queries in 0.0205359 seconds