corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Metal Fabrication - Update it's finished

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Metal Fabrication - Update it's finished
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Nov 12 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I'm just waiting on the plans and I'm doing it Dave. Nice little winter sideline for us self employed people.

All yours Ian
mwg

5th Nov 12 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The listing I got the bags from is archived now so can't access it to confirm but from memory the bags are 450mm (18") wide x 610mm (24") deep. But I asked the guy I bought them off when he's getting more and he'll have them in at the end of this week so I can see the sizes then.

You'd have to have a bag to hand really so you could make it to suit that. Defo going to ask the fabby near my work what he thinks cost wise though.

How much do you think you'd do it for Ian if you did?
mwg

5th Nov 12 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's the £225+VAT & delivery one
http://www.fuelwood.co.uk/logbagging.html
And the £145 including VAT & delivery one
http://www.mlarge.com/special_offers_details_21.html

The cheaper one looks different! Like it rocks instead of tips
ed

5th Nov 12 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you lot are living on another planet if you think you're going to get something bespoke kocked up for £50. Who's going to do the drawings so the thing actually works?
craig8
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Green one looks a piece of piss to build cheaply and have it tilting

E36 328
mwg

5th Nov 12 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I think you lot are living on another planet if you think you're going to get something bespoke kocked up for £50. Who's going to do the drawings so the thing actually works?

I guess I could. My main job is using AutoCAD.

I agree after what people have said £50 is a bit optimistic, got to take in to account someone's time as well as the materials & make a profit.

Edit- just realised the link to that green one tells you the dimensions of the tray

[Edited on 05-11-2012 by mwg]
craig8
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make an H frame from some 2" box section. Use a heavier box section for the upright like some 4", at the bottom I would drill two 12.5 mm holes side by side through the frame and into the upright, weld two m12 captive nuts behind the holes in the upright and you bolt those two together.

For the top the tray can either be cut out and bent up then welded or 4 individual parts welded together.

For the tilting you can go a couple if ways, one being a fairly heavy duty hinge or more difficult to explain but I would make a bush using two pieces of tube, one inside the other with a fairly close fit and pack a little grease between. Outer piece welded to the top of the upright and made a bracket to attach the inner piece to the tray. You would need a stop on the back to stop it from going backwards

E36 328
craig8
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could also do similar with wood but using the hinge rather than bush tilting

E36 328
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hamish could knock that up for you!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Ste
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll make you one for £80 if you sort the delivery.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Steve
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drawings

any decent fabricator will sketch something on the back of a napkin in about 5 mins to knock that up

Its not a fucking house, it doesnt need an architect
Nath

5th Nov 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve will do one for you mwg, £10.
sc0ott

5th Nov 12 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id get a structural engineer involved tbh.
craig8
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
drawings

any decent fabricator will sketch something on the back of a napkin in about 5 mins to knock that up

My exact thoughts, welder/fab at work would do a chalk scribble on the wall

E36 328
LeeM

5th Nov 12 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like fuck, it would be a waste of material when you completely fucked it up due to basing it on a sketch
Steve
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bollocks. It's not a precise piece of machinery. Far too many new skool wannabe engineers in here
sc0ott

5th Nov 12 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs a chartered quantity surveyor to price this up.
craig8
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't even imagine some of the stuff that gets built in work from a sketch, fuck sake I just wrote how I would build it from the top of my head and I know it would work but that's because we have to come up with solutions without fancy drawings or computer program's. it's a log bagger not some major engineering project

E36 328
gazza808

5th Nov 12 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You can't just bend the back up either because the back and sides would be in the way, plus you'd have to net the corners not a straight cut.

What are the legs, 25mm box?

Need the designs for it really instead of guessing, be a bit late by the time you've made it and had it galvanised to find the bag doesn't fit.

It'd also need delivering. Not sure you'd be much under £200 tbh.

Of course you could Bend the back up,

I some times makes 4sides metal boxes at work from one piece of steel.
Folder/bender at work has fingers and you remove the ones to clear the sides.
noshua

5th Nov 12 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
drawings

My dad has done this stuff for decades, would knock that up without even thinking about it.

Is there a demand for these?
Ste
Premium Member

5th Nov 12 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
I'll make you one for £80 if you sort the delivery.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
craig8
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 00:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say that's a reasonable offer

E36 328
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Nov 12 at 00:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
drawings

If you want to waste the sheet. It comes 2440mm x 1220mm and is expensive, the trick is to make a few the same and not be left with any sheet left. I'm not really confident you could do that on a napkin.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Nov 12 at 00:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
Folder/bender at work has fingers and you remove the ones to clear the sides.
Which assumes the width of the bend is the same as the fingers.

Not saying its impossible, just thinking you'd not have complete freedom to bend around the width of the bag.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Nov 12 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by craig8
I would say that's a reasonable offer
I'd say its a bit cheap for production but as a prototype run I'm looking forward to making a batch.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Metal Fabrication - Update it's finished 23 database queries in 0.0258560 seconds