corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does Petrol go off?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does Petrol go off?
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
14th Dec 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no the car had been mapped (most likely on 99 ron) and they had suspect been using lower octane, the car had worn valve seats and low compression as a result.

The fact of the matter is you can most likely run a standard impreza (non sti) on normal 95 unleaded with no problems. They even state in the manual and fuel cap to run minimum 98 i believe on the STI's, even if you used lower then that the standard ECU would most likely still pull timing to accomodate but it wont run as good or meet power and in the long run would most likely do damage.

If you have a car mapped on 99 and you use lower you literally do run the risk of blowing it up, so either carry around octane booster, use the right petrol or if you get stuck use the highest you can find and run off boost until you can get some decent stuff in.

All Torque

14th Dec 12 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Alex_Rally
quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
I wouldn't be carrying around a container of Petrol on a daily basis

All it takes is one well positioned accident and you could end up in a bit of a pickle...

you already do its called a petrol tank mate

It's not like he drives a Ford Pinto...
joes_1.4_16v_sport

14th Dec 12 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcCr2ll3c

Anybody wants to add to this? I've always used "Wynns" but haven't for abit after using this. Stick to V-power.

Note: I've got a full stage 2 BAM engined 2002 plate S3.
Dave

14th Dec 12 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a different argument to this though. This is about increasing octane to match what the engine was mapped to, not increasing power.
joes_1.4_16v_sport

14th Dec 12 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know I know... I just wanted opinions whilst somebody previously mentioned the "octane" word.
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Dec 12 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
octane booster won't stop fuel from going off. You need a fuel stabiliser for doing that.

Where did I say that was the plan?

My Car has had a map specifically for higher octane fuel. I did what Barnshaw suggested and ran it off boost. I filled up this morning with Optimax and have since used half the tank - so hopefully the cheap shit is nicely out of the system!

I'll pickup some Octane booster at the weekend for the event of this happening again.

On a similar topic, I was at Scooby Clinic today getting a service done - and there was a chap there who was getting a remap because the previous owner of his car had it mapped for Optimax - and the new owner was 60miles away from a Shell garage, and needed it remapping for the Total "optimax" equivelant. How's that for anal?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

14th Dec 12 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea thats normal, its probably just a tweek, presumably you mean Shell Vpower, which is 99 ron, if he can only get to a Total garage then i understand their super unleaded is 98, therefore lower octane hence it needing the map adjusting
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Dec 12 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry yeah I meant VPower vs the Total stuff... still goes to show how sensitive these maps (apparently) are!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

14th Dec 12 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might put vpower in my 1.0 will I go warp speed? Lol

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does Petrol go off? 23 database queries in 0.0059581 seconds