corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Racing Legends - Colin McRae

Poll: Racing Legends - Colin McRae
Legend 59 (93.65%)
Moron 4 (6.35%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Racing Legends - Colin McRae
BluKoo

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 13 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M16KE B
Complete and utter moron for me. No question.

Fearless in a rally car but absolutley nowhere near as talanted as his Dad, Richard Burns, or countless other European WRC pilots. Destroyed more of M-Sports cars than anyone else.

Bit of an idiot by all accounst and the only reason the term "legend" is banded about is because he's unfortunatley passed away. If he'd still been here, nobody would give him a second thought.

I think he was considered a legend before he passed.
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Erm, burns won 10 of the 104 rallies he entered, McRae won 25 out of 146.

So that's 10.4 entries per win for RB, 5.8 entries per win for CM.

Therefore he was 1.8 times as good. 180% more successful....

[Edited on 23-01-2013 by Robin]
BluKoo

23rd Jan 13 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Erm, burns won 10 of the 104 rallies he entered, McRae won 25 out of 146.

So that's 10.4 entries per win for RB, 5.8 entries per win for CM.

Therefore he was 1.8 times as good. 180% more successful....

However that suggests that RB would need to enter 208 rallies to get 20 wins.
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah?

260 entries to do 25 wins.

3CorsaMeal

23rd Jan 13 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Ken Block is the modern Colin McRae

When i was at school we didn't have video phones or youtube, rallying was on the tv and i remember Colin McRae being the name everyone knew at the time, was the first computer rallying driving game that was any good. Maybe i knew him better for some of the cars he drove than examining his talent etc. Even a big crash was exciting and the talk of school kids, you couldn't see that shit on your phone back then, you'd have to look for a grainy series of photos in a newspaper. Even tv had no +1 or on demand, you had to check the newspaper again to see the tv guide.

Kids these days will all know Ken Block, mainly from youtube and his cars, everyone loves the monster logo right?
corsadonk
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can remember being sprayed by his Gravel on a WRC stage.

He wasn't the best driver of his time, that goes to Markus Gronholm. But he did try very hard, and gave a good show.

So a Legend for me.
dava.

23rd Jan 13 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legend with out doubt, all the stuff about the chopper etc aside i would still class him as a legend
BluKoo

23rd Jan 13 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Yeah?

260 entries to do 25 wins.

I totally read your comment wrong. I thought you were arguing in favour of RB
I read entries per win as wins per entry
jrdn7

23rd Jan 13 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legend for me, unreal driving capabilities in anything he sat his arse in. Granted he wasn't as consistent as his Dad, Burnsie or a few others. But, in a lot of cases, you have to drive your balls off to win coming from the back.

However, I know and worked for a lad who used to work for M-Sport in 2000-2004 & he didn't really like Colin as a person, said he was a bit big headed. Admired Sainz much more he did.
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Jan 13 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No disputing his ability as a driver, even competing at that level in WRC puts you in a different class, never mind winning as much as he did.

Helicopter accident does put him in a bad light though.
Ben G

23rd Jan 13 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

touching kids put michael jackson in a bad light. still a legend.
Ben J

23rd Jan 13 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M16KE B
Complete and utter moron for me. No question.

Fearless in a rally car but absolutley nowhere near as talanted as his Dad, Richard Burns, or countless other European WRC pilots. Destroyed more of M-Sports cars than anyone else.

Bit of an idiot by all accounst and the only reason the term "legend" is banded about is because he's unfortunatley passed away. If he'd still been here, nobody would give him a second thought.

Burns wasn't half the driver McRae was.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watch mcraes early stuff and the way he handles shit cars.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Ben J

23rd Jan 13 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And McRae had test sessions in F1, NASCAR and Indycar and was quick straight away. That's proper talent IMO.
Mertin

27th Jan 13 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great programme. Was good to see him get some good press after everything since his death was negative
*CorsaCal*

27th Jan 13 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just saw the programme and the guy was a legend for sure! Some bad choices but still one of the best that motorsport has ever seen!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legend!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Aidan-Fleming

27th Jan 13 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True legend! Fuck the haters is what I say. Crazy driving talent, and the speed he drove was insane. Brilliant tv programme to watch!
oba-corsa
Premium Member

28th Jan 13 at 00:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think he will always be a ledgend in the eyes of his family the accident could of been prevented but so could most accidents.
corsadonk
Premium Member

28th Jan 13 at 07:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His Dad seems to be a topman. Fairplay it must of been pretty hard for him to make the program, you could see he was close to tears, when they first opened his garage.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 13 at 08:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo a legend can tell because he had scooby owners off the forums drive passed his house after he died.
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 13 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Deffo a legend can tell because he had scooby owners off the forums drive passed his house after he died.

neil h

28th Jan 13 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

Kids these days will all know Ken Block, mainly from youtube and his cars, everyone loves the monster logo right?

No, just no Block is not a shadow of the driver McRae was and his crap on youtube was merely a passing fad. I bet most people (with no interest in cars) have a clue who Ken Block is any more, he had his 5 minutes of fame on youtube and thats long gone.
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 13 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

No, just no Block is not a shadow of the driver McRae was and his crap on youtube was merely a passing fad. I bet most people (with no interest in cars) have a clue who Ken Block is any more, he had his 5 minutes of fame on youtube and thats long gone.

He is the modern Colin McRae as in who the younger generation know and rave on about when you think about drifting and car control, rally style driving, computer games etc

I bet you go to a secondary and there will be kids with ken block stickers, i see quite a few RC cars coming out with Ken Block theme etc.

I'm not comparing their talent or achievements or career, i'm comparing their presence in the public eye
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny how the program last night featured quite a bit of Ken Block and made the comparison But i guess CS knows best

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Racing Legends - Colin McRae 25 database queries in 0.0154278 seconds