corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Need to sort my life out! (Work related)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need to sort my life out! (Work related)
harrisp

User status: Offline
27th Jan 13 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im just not sure what I want to do, I would like to train doing something else as I have nothing really, things will be better when the missus works full time so my wage isnt as important
Blade_sri

27th Jan 13 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been in retail since I was 16 I am now 32
Worked my way up to a store manager.
I want to do something else also. Retail is killing me and the money is shit! Only problem is I have no idea what to do!
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jan 13 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left a comfortable career for the same reasons.

It doesn't get any better.

My only advice is move about and play the game.

In my experience the likelihood of success is directly proportional to your ability to wing it.

Honest people generally don't do as well.

[Edited on 27-01-2013 by Ian]
A2H GO

27th Jan 13 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same, I'm earning more than I've ever earned, and the jobs the easiest I've ever had. But I'm bored, it' s not challenging, caused me to loose some ambition, don't get anything back out of it and looking around there's nothing else in the company I'd really want to do. I'm in banking and the next level would be senior management but managing people has never floated my boat.

Currently studying programming in my spare time though free resources, Codecademy, iTunes U Stanford Course, putting about 30 hours a week in, everything I'll have to show for it will be in my brain though not on a sheet of paper so not even sure how much use it will be to me. Good job I'm enjoying it anyway.
davegreen
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i changed jobs last june, went from 11years of working as a steel fabricator/engineer for a small company making machinery to bo a field service engineer for a john deere dealer. its what i trained for at college but ive been away from tractors etc for 18years. didnt think i'd get the job let alone a good starting wage but my base skills in all areas has been good enough. im learning new areas and skills all the time plus being trained while im working. i liked the old job but love this one! you have plenty of base skills so finding a job that makes you happy shouldnt be to hard. money is nothing without happiness!
CORSA NUT

27th Jan 13 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
Try and cut down your out goings, like youve mentioned get a run around etc. Over time you just end up spending more and more, living to your means, although I accept it must be hard with a child as well.but cutting will take pressure off focusing on wage rather than what you actually want to do.
I turned 29 the other day and im rolling around in an old yaris! Mainly because I work in health which I enjoy but the money is poor. Recently got a new job which ill be on 19k and thats with a degree and 5 years experience in that field!

[Edited on 27-01-2013 by Carl]

I think your right Carl, because in the past we've had money we've got a Champagne lifestyle/lemonade money thing going on. I've always worked my arse off though so always attributed that with having nice things like cars etc. When your money changes but your still working hard you still think you can have nice things but that's not reality. Then you end up in debt trying to retain the same lifestyle.

Car is going as its just been MOT'd and taxed and will sell easily. First step.
CORSA NUT

27th Jan 13 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also thanks to everyone who has posted, I'm glad it's not just me
Carl

27th Jan 13 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It happens to everyone but it must be worse when youve been on more money and drop down.
CORSA NUT

27th Jan 13 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think my motivation should be to earn a similar amount to what I'm earning now but really like what I do. That way I can put more into it and possibly earn more in the future without realising it, if you get me?
Colin

27th Jan 13 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think everyone hates there job to some degree.

I'm just about to do my NEBOSH to try and get a HSE advisor job.
CORSA NUT

27th Jan 13 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a bit of NEBOSH when I worked at Aerospace (Airbus)

What a fucking ballache that was, so long winded and not in the least interesting. Guy I worked with did it and ended up with a nice 60k post and did pretty much bugger all everyday. Had to know all the ins and outs mind you.
Colin

27th Jan 13 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100k pa offshore working 21 weeks a year.
corsa120

27th Jan 13 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think what you have realise is times change and the world changes.... trying to increase your money/job/lifestyle is perfectly acceptable but as you have already said you have a car a life fuel and food on the table...... sure your parents and mine will tell you how tough it was years back like my mum and dad's first house had two deck chairs for a sofa!!.

think alot of the world has changed for the worse because we all take for granted how easy life is for us nowadays and being able to afford latest tv is easy.. i was in a very similar position to you taking home around or slighty above if it was bonus month of 2k+ easy im now down to around 1600 a month on average but me and my mrs got used to my higher wage, and we truly lived a luxerious life for ages 3 holidays year to carribbean, cars, weekends away steak on tuesday night lol but although i still consider to be more than ok im not liveing the life i was, especially because me and my ex mrs are no longer together and im now running a 3-bed house on my own paying mortgage and all bills etc alone! my disposable income in 6 months with my ex has gone from like 1200 down to about 400 which is massive.

proggression in my firm as a hydraulic engineer is very easy my md encourages anyone to move up the ranks and dont get why people dont want to better themselves, ive stayed on the shop floor and did my apprenticeship in elctro/mechanical engineering there and ive remained there ever since with numeruous appraisals asking me to move to the office etc but i think the staff turnaround in my office is huge and in the worshop its extremely low so i can only assume the atmosphere/pressures must be worse.... its something i may consider and my boss has said on numerous occasions he thinks id excell at any task but who knows, the relationship in our workshop is brilliant and wages are'nt too bad either so i see no point changing! however if you have the feelings you do id consider changing your life to aspire to where you want to be.
SVM 286

27th Jan 13 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I for once actually don't hate my job.

But after a little over twenty months, next Friday I will be losing it.

The boss has sold up and is retiring.

The whole site will be demolished and turned into flats.
Carl

27th Jan 13 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
I think my motivation should be to earn a similar amount to what I'm earning now but really like what I do. That way I can put more into it and possibly earn more in the future without realising it, if you get me?

Fully understand. We spend a long time at work so if you can find something tbat you partially like or get enjoyment from you are laughing. I like building relationships and helping people and my current job did that but has become too target driven. Ive just got a new job though starting in Feb in an orgainisation that deals in recovery from alcohol and substance missuse. from the work ive already done with them seems better than my current role, working with people over a longer period and seeing them turn their life around (all being well!) Gives me a buzz helping people turn their lives around and you meet some interesting people along the way.
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm same boat, worked in motor trade since leaving school, i fucking hate it, and my wages are shite.

My problem is i left my first job on bad terms and didnt get my level 3 qualification so am stuck in a fast fit shitter, been applying to all the local aerospace places, nothing going.

Catch 22, going to be stuck living at home until i'm making at least half my current wage on top of what i get paid.

Promises myself i'd be out the motor trade by time i was 25, but i dont see it changing in the next 5 months
CORSA NUT

27th Jan 13 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Fully understand. We spend a long time at work so if you can find something tbat you partially like or get enjoyment from you are laughing. I like building relationships and helping people and my current job did that but has become too target driven. Ive just got a new job though starting in Feb in an orgainisation that deals in recovery from alcohol and substance missuse. from the work ive already done with them seems better than my current role, working with people over a longer period and seeing them turn their life around (all being well!) Gives me a buzz helping people turn their lives around and you meet some interesting people along the way.

A job like that mustn't seem like a job at times Carl? More like building relationships with people must make you feel down some days though eh? my mum was a nurse and I have a caring nature but I'm to soft for something like that.
CORSA NUT

27th Jan 13 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
100k pa offshore working 21 weeks a year.

Go for it
CORSA NUT

27th Jan 13 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Archie
I'm same boat, worked in motor trade since leaving school, i fucking hate it, and my wages are shite.

My problem is i left my first job on bad terms and didnt get my level 3 qualification so am stuck in a fast fit shitter, been applying to all the local aerospace places, nothing going.

Catch 22, going to be stuck living at home until i'm making at least half my current wage on top of what i get paid.

Promises myself i'd be out the motor trade by time i was 25, but i dont see it changing in the next 5 months

That sounds shitty fella can you not do a course (online etc) in something your interested in and go from there? Have you for an idea of what you'd like to do??
Carl

27th Jan 13 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

A job like that mustn't seem like a job at times Carl? More like building relationships with people must make you feel down some days though eh? my mum was a nurse and I have a caring nature but I'm to soft for something like that.

Ive not started there yet but one of the staff was saying they have about 4 deaths a year which must be a bit of a bad day at the office if you have got to know and like the person.also as in my job its hard not to fall into a trap of telling people what they should be doing as we all know its not that simple. Its also frustrating when you have people lieing to your face about stuff like they think you were born yesterday, saying they havent smoked then blowing a reading in a machine telling me they have, but them swearing blind they havent is always an awkward situation!
Archie
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Archie

That sounds shitty fella can you not do a course (online etc) in something your interested in and go from there? Have you for an idea of what you'd like to do??

To be honest mate i only really know cars and motorbikes.

My laptop is fucked, so until i replace it with a desktop i'm pretty much confined to using my phone for the net

No idea what i want to do, theres a lot of aerospace places in my town so i'd be happy with a fitters job in one of those places, good pay, working shifts, plenty of o/t going.

Know loads of folk who work for the various companys and they are never short of a bob and seem to do f*ck all.

Just a case of getting a foot in the door, my current job is fucking shit though.

Only decent thing is i work a rota so on my days off in the summer i get a few shifts working on motorbikes with my dad, but its only when they are busy, usually means i end up working 13 on and 1 off for 6/7 months of the year and adjusting to having the extra money then going back to basics.
CORSA NUT

28th Jan 13 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know loads of people who earn £15+
an hour and literally do absolutely fuck all so annoying! It would bore me to death though!
CORSA NUT

28th Jan 13 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ive not started there yet but one of the staff was saying they have about 4 deaths a year which must be a bit of a bad day at the office if you have got to know and like the person.also as in my job its hard not to fall into a trap of telling people what they should be doing as we all know its not that simple. Its also frustrating when you have people lieing to your face about stuff like they think you were born yesterday, saying they havent smoked then blowing a reading in a machine telling me they have, but them swearing blind they havent is always an awkward situation!

That must be a bit trust must be a big part of that job and when there lying to your face it must piss you off!
Archie
Premium Member

28th Jan 13 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know loads of people who earn £15+
an hour and literally do absolutely fuck all so annoying! It would bore me to death though!

I just envy them tbh.

First day back today after weeks holiday, just reminded me how much i hated it
Carl

28th Jan 13 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was a mechanic i'd buy and sell cars on side for a bit of a booster, anything like that an option?That or buy none runners and split etc, suppose depends on space and what you can access.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Need to sort my life out! (Work related) 22 database queries in 0.0424600 seconds