corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » www.recordedcars.co.uk

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author www.recordedcars.co.uk
A2H GO

User status: Offline
13th Feb 13 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I u2u'd him after his feedback in my original thread but he didn't get back to me, I'm not sure if the messenger is working properly tbh... that or he's ignoring me
Jay

13th Feb 13 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by Jay
A price for the cars should be mandatory, I hate it when looking at cars for sale and there's no price. Site looks well though.

It is mandatory, it's the first thing on the 'features' list, not ideal I know, I need to find a way to make it more obvious.

Sorry, I was looking at it on my phone and didnt notice it, try and make it bold and a little bigger, I'd put it next to the title of the car?

Edit: above the small thumbnail pics

[Edited on 13-02-2013 by Jay]
AndyCorsaSport

13th Feb 13 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Sure tom has some? Graeme? Andy...... Who had the 106 gti?

Search a few of my threads pal, out a few up recently of ones I've been doing, although they aren't write offs, fixed by insurance, but some are pretty heavy.

Infact some are here

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=646774&highlight=1&pid=8601724#pid8601724

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=646774&highlight=1&pid=8601724#pid8601724

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=646086&page=1

Ill take some more if anything interesting turns up.

Site looks good, and a good idea!!
A2H GO

14th Feb 13 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Andy, presume you don't mind if I do a bit of a write up on my site?
baza31

14th Feb 13 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like the idea , but I think people will add to sites such as auto trader piston heads etc. But as yours is free its worth 5 minutes. Selling a category write off can be a ball ache. From a lot of experience selling write offs and motor dealing in general I swear by auctions to get 1) a sale 2) what its worth at the current time. My advice would be to get an auction feature on there. Both the big players copart and blue cycle have started doing classified sales as well as auction .
A2H GO

14th Feb 13 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Baza.

I've no doubt people will still continue to use the normal sites like AT and PH, this is more 'in addition' given it's free and more specific. Like you said, it's hard selling a recorded car as it is so the more exposure the better.

Might drop copart and blue cycle a mail see if they fancy listing any of their stock on my site, perhaps goes against their business model of driving people to their own sites, but don't ask you don't get.
AndyCorsaSport

14th Feb 13 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Feel free pal.
Gary
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ash have you bombarded people on ebay selling recorded cars telling them about your site?
A2H GO

14th Feb 13 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Ash have you bombarded people on ebay selling recorded cars telling them about your site?

No, I guess it's an option
A2H GO

14th Feb 13 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
quote:

Feel free pal.

Done the first blog post mate, if it's your company happy to credit you/link to website etc, just drop me u2u.
AndyCorsaSport

14th Feb 13 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not my company no, and we don't have a website
kennySRi

14th Feb 13 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's an excellent idea for a site, i think it has the potential to be a huge success so good luck with it. Wish i thought of the idea tbh
A2H GO

15th Feb 13 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one!

I'm getting a few people to the site and some good responses from people I've contacted but people aren't listing because there's not much on there and there's not much on there because people aren't listing, it's the old catch 22 situation.

I somehow need a way of bulk listing a couple of pages of cars to make the site 'appear' full which will in turn encourage people to list their cars. I can't list a load of dummy ads as people will get annoyed at the cars not being 'real' and I can't just list other people's cars from other site's without their permission.

Open to ideas
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

15th Feb 13 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rip them from ebay and stick them on the site with all the contact details of the ebay add.
A2H GO

15th Feb 13 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure thats allowed. Would you be OK with someone listing your car on their site without asking you or would you be happy for the exposure?

I'd probably be annoyed, plus it could be a mission checking to see if each one has sold so as to remove it.

I guess I could email a couple of private salvage type sites offering to list their cars for them for the time being.
taylorboosh

15th Feb 13 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring numbers on ebay ads and offer a free listing
baza31

16th Feb 13 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£7600 for a 6 year old cat d mini. Jesus there optermistic
A2H GO

16th Feb 13 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't make the prices. Finally got the scrolling banner working though.
CorsAsh

17th Feb 13 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good idea. I just amended the text on the first page a little bit to make it a bit more professional-sounding and easier to read.

quote:
We provide a central hub where users can come to sell their Category C or D recorded cars, showing prospective buyers at the same time that they are trustworthy by not attempting to hide the vehicle's history with lengthy descriptions or even complete omission. Unlike other vehicle sales websites, here you know exactly what you're getting.

As we specialize in recorded cars, we’re also the perfect place for buyers looking to grab a bargain, or buy a car that would normally be out of their budget. It is well known that recorded cars can cost on average 25% less than a vehicle's normal market value.

I also took out the direct references to AT and PH, as I could imagine them saying you're damaging their business by implying they knowingly allow cars with dodgy/unclear histories to be listed.

[Edited on 17-02-2013 by CorsAsh]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
17th Feb 13 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
adding a postcode search is beyond my skills

Its not that difficult, I've got the data and the search bit is only a bit of very simple maths. Remind me what its written in, PHP? If so and you don't mind interferring with the upgrade path for that software then I could take a look.

In fact even if its not PHP, the maths won't differ, deffo give it a go.

Should also get you some stock to list as well.

Also that idea about calling people with Ebay ads is a good one, most will have telephone number so you can avoid the Ebay system for messaging people. Even if you offer to lift their advert right off there, can't hurt.
dannymccann

17th Feb 13 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
I also took out the direct references to AT and PH, as I could imagine them saying you're damaging their business by implying they knowingly allow cars with dodgy/unclear histories to be listed.

Was thinking this also, last thing you want is neg press from the big boys

Great idea though and the site looks clean, very important in my opinion, can't be arsed scrolling through pages of shite to see what I want to look at!
A2H GO

18th Feb 13 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Good idea. I just amended the text on the first page a little bit to make it a bit more professional-sounding and easier to read.

quote:
We provide a central hub where users can come to sell their Category C or D recorded cars, showing prospective buyers at the same time that they are trustworthy by not attempting to hide the vehicle's history with lengthy descriptions or even complete omission. Unlike other vehicle sales websites, here you know exactly what you're getting.

As we specialize in recorded cars, we’re also the perfect place for buyers looking to grab a bargain, or buy a car that would normally be out of their budget. It is well known that recorded cars can cost on average 25% less than a vehicle's normal market value.

[Edited on 17-02-2013 by CorsAsh]

Good feedback, will make the amendments tonight, work seem to have blocked access to my CPanel since last week

A2H GO

18th Feb 13 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
quote:

Was thinking this also, last thing you want is neg press from the big boys

Great idea though and the site looks clean, very important in my opinion, can't be arsed scrolling through pages of shite to see what I want to look at!

Thanks I stuck a few ad's in over the weeked after getting excited at getting £1 when someone clicked on one . But now I thinking to take them out as it's more important for me the site is clean and gives a good user experience.
A2H GO

18th Feb 13 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
adding a postcode search is beyond my skills

Its not that difficult, I've got the data and the search bit is only a bit of very simple maths. Remind me what its written in, PHP? If so and you don't mind interferring with the upgrade path for that software then I could take a look.

In fact even if its not PHP, the maths won't differ, deffo give it a go.

Should also get you some stock to list as well.

Also that idea about calling people with Ebay ads is a good one, most will have telephone number so you can avoid the Ebay system for messaging people. Even if you offer to lift their advert right off there, can't hurt.

Thanks Ian, I'm working on Facebook/Twitter integration but the postcode search is top of my priority list at the moment.

Yes it's written in PHP, there's already some google maps integration but I turned it off because it didn’t seem to work right in picking up peoples locations.

I think the changes that need making are:

- A field added in the ‘sell your car’ form for sellers to enter their postcode. (or get this automatically somehow based on long/lat.
- A field in the basic search on the sidebar for buyer to enter their postcode
- A extra option on the ‘results page’ drop down box to sort by distance (in addition to price).
- Possibly something somewhere on the ‘search results’ for each ad, a line to say ‘X miles away’ similar to auto trader.

Happy to give you access to the site...

I’ve set-up an ebay account and been offering people free listings but eBay restricts the account to about 5 messages a day, need to get the phone out I think.

I’ve also been working on a page that’s basically a feed of ebay listings with appropriate key words such as ‘cat D cat C’ but I can’t get it to point at eBay.co.uk, only eBay.com.

A2H GO

20th Feb 13 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been quoted £2-300 for the postcode search amendments above, sound about right?

Ian - Can move to geek day now if you like

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » www.recordedcars.co.uk 22 database queries in 0.0745380 seconds