corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Offshore workers, convince me to find some balls

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Offshore workers, convince me to find some balls
BluKoo

User status: Offline
17th Feb 13 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of my mates work offshore so they're in choppers all the time.

Yeah, there have been quite a few which have crashed and ditched in the north sea, but that's just a risk you have to take.
Eddie.2k

17th Feb 13 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work offshore and have never particularly liked flying in either fixed wings or helicopters but as soon as we take off and on our way I barely notice whats going on.
Get the odd bump with turbulence.
When i came home last week i sat in the seat that you can see into the cockpit which was interesting watching them doing their checks and flying the thing.

They enter the route, heights, where they are going and the auto pilot will do it all for them. It will take the helicopter to within a 50ft hover of where they want to be and the pilot can just land it. Although most the time the pilots take controls for approach and landing

[Edited on 17-02-2013 by Eddie.2k]
Dan
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think in life in general I just have to stop worrying and worry about things f they actually happen.

I'm just a big fanneh

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Bart

17th Feb 13 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, whats the worst that can happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3idQKi5EqM
ed

17th Feb 13 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a reason why you all wear survival suits when doing North Sea helicopter sorties.

There's only one way to get over the fear though, and that's to fly! If you know anyone who take take you for a flight then it's well worth your while because once you understand how things work and get a feel for it you'll become more comfortable with it all. If there's a local heli flying school then they'll be able to hook you up with a trial lesson.

One other thing, everyone gets a little nervy when flying - even pilots.

[Edited on 17-02-2013 by ed]
Xs

17th Feb 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No possibilities to earn good money working onshore for the company? Best of both worlds.
Colin

18th Feb 13 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offshores shite don't do it, I've been working 6 weeks from the last 7.

Helicopters nothing to worry about really, if it was to really go horribly wrong you wouldn't know much about it I reckon anyway. Had a few hairy flights in my time out here but nothing to make me think twice about going again.
Colin

18th Feb 13 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who do you work for?
Dan
Premium Member

18th Feb 13 at 06:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prior diesel, absolutely love it.

The onshore work, but working away from home is paid at the same money as offshore, and im now doing another week away soon. Which gives me an insight to the money, and makes me wanna do it more haha.

Colin

18th Feb 13 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The money's ok but I'm looking for a way out of it personally. Reckon there's a bigger price on sleeping in your own bed every night.
FAZ
Premium Member

18th Feb 13 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flyings safer than driving with multiple redundant and backup systems, the most dangerous part will be walking across the apron to the aircraft

fact
sc0ott

18th Feb 13 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flying is only safer because most pilots are male.
Ellis

18th Feb 13 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had just as many scary moments on choppers as on fixed wing aircraft, as has already been said you won't know much about it if it goes badly wrong. You'll have a few seconds before you're brown bread.

If you have the opportunity then go for it in my opinion, I don't have the luxury of a rota but I crave the lifestyle my friends have with 2 on 3 off.
mwg

18th Feb 13 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those crashes involving the workers being taken out to rigs would put me off a bit tbh
cpcrampton

18th Feb 13 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been in the industry a while now, you honestly have nothing to worry about. Only part that i hate is going to refresh my bosiet. Choppers are nice and smooth and feel safer that small fixed wing aircraft. Don’t be put off by the flight to the work place, remember you will be working in a harsh / dangerous environment and if something does go wrong your options are limited.
ljames555

18th Feb 13 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
The money's ok but I'm looking for a way out of it personally. Reckon there's a bigger price on sleeping in your own bed every night.

Can understand your not happy grafting for 6 weeks away out of 7, but surely you can find a 2 on 3 off rota?

It's something I'll be chasing in the near future.
Dan
Premium Member

18th Feb 13 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin I know what your saying. Who do you work for now?

The good thing about my job is its as and when needed. No more than 2 weeks on. Does sometimes go busy and its 2 on 2 in yard etc. we only really go out and do some engine work etc or do shutdown / holiday cover.

I'm really really tempted. I want the lifestyle. Everyone who does it reckons its so so easy and they do fuck all hardly

fred7

18th Feb 13 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dan what do you do?
Dan
Premium Member

18th Feb 13 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did hgv work for a main dealer for the past 9 years.

Just started here doing work on engines, like full rebuilds, some boat work and genset rebuilds or built from scratch

baza31

18th Feb 13 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not the flying you need to be worried about , it's the crashing .

Fatal

Fatal

Fatal
Eddie.2k

18th Feb 13 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://m.local.stv.tv/aberdeen/news/214489-bristow-helicopter-forced-to-make-unscheduled-landing-on-shell-platform/
Colin

19th Feb 13 at 01:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ljames555
quote:

Can understand your not happy grafting for 6 weeks away out of 7, but surely you can find a 2 on 3 off rota?

I'm on a 2,2,2,4 rota

Just hammering the OT.
ljames555

19th Feb 13 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ljames555
quote:

I'm on a 2,2,2,4 rota

Just hammering the OT.

Here's me feeling sorry for you
Dan
Premium Member

19th Feb 13 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you work on drillers? We don't do anything on them now.

John

19th Feb 13 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Seany
quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I want to earn the money they are offering, so I can provide the family with amazing things.

Thats all the inspiration you need right there.

Would they like seeing you for that 2 weeks more than amazing stuff?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Offshore workers, convince me to find some balls 23 database queries in 0.0153692 seconds