corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » NYC Budgetting

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author NYC Budgetting
Robbo

User status: Offline
28th Feb 13 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you look at La Guardia or even Newark too?
Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Everythign there is extortionately expensive though...
I disagree. Food and drink is rather cheap in NYC.

If you're determined to spend all your time around Times Square and in upper Manhattan, then it can get expensive, but go south to SoHo and Bowery and food and drinks will be incredibly cheap as well as incredibly good. Not to mention they're far more interesting neighborhoods to spend your evenings in, imo.

RichR
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looked at Newark - there's no huge cost saving to be made. I didn't think £575 each was too bad
Robbo

28th Feb 13 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Everythign there is extortionately expensive though...
I disagree. Food and drink is rather cheap in NYC.

If you're determined to spend all your time around Times Square and in upper Manhattan, then it can get expensive, but go south to SoHo and Bowery and food and drinks will be incredibly cheap as well as incredibly good. Not to mention they're far more interesting neighborhoods to spend your evenings in, imo.
I was meaning more like breakfast, lunch and snacks etc. rather than evening meals, which were as expected and yes, agreed, Meatpacking, Soho, Greenwich Village etc. much more reasonable for evenings than Olive Garden, Bubba Gumps, Planet Hollywood etc. (not that we didnt realise that until the last few days )
Robbo

28th Feb 13 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also Danish boy, your opinion on the price of things can fuck right off - Copenhagen (& Stockholm) is by far the most expensive place for snacks and drinks etc. that ive been in Europe

Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I was meaning more like breakfast, lunch and snacks etc.
We stayed in Bowery, so had cheap breakfast too. As I recall if we wanted to eat on the go we paid $2 for an everything bagel with cream cheese, fried egg and bacon plus juice and coffee.
At a diner it was something like $5-8 for an omelet, hash browns, juice and coffee. Given, this was 5 years ago, but can't see it going up much.

Actually I'd recommend anyone to stay in the south end of Manhattan. Hotels are much cheaper, food is much cheaper (and in many cases better) and getting the subway or even just walking up north is hardly a problem nor is it very time consuming.
Plus you have a huge selection of reasonable priced and very nice bars and pubs right next to your hotel.

Robbo

28th Feb 13 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as London though - it takes away from the experience if you're not in the heart of the city (IMO)
Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Also Danish boy, your opinion on the price of things can fuck right off - Copenhagen (& Stockholm) is by far the most expensive place for snacks and drinks etc. that ive been in Europe
I actually think Copenhagen was recently named the most expensive city in the world to live in.

Prices there are hardly representative of Denmark as whole, though it is true it's fairly expensive to go out for food and drinks here.

Compared to other big cities I've visited in the US and Europe I'll still say that NYC is one of the cheapest to be in, as a tourist.

Balling
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Same as London though - it takes away from the experience if you're not in the heart of the city (IMO)
As long as you're on Manhattan, you're in the heart of NYC tbh.

We spent hours most days in upper Manhattan and Central Park, but I can't see our experience being any more special because we were sleeping up there.
On the contrary I think the dazzling lights of Times Square pretty quickly gets old and aren't that much different to the center of a lot of other big cities. The southern parts of NYC with it's quirky neighborhoods and likewise inhabitants is what I remember as special about that city.

Robbo

28th Feb 13 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
I actually think Copenhagen was recently named the most expensive city in the world to live in.
doesnt surprise me lol!
Matt L

28th Feb 13 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last time I went over cost around £1.6k pp that was flights (man - jfk direct with aa), hotel (warldorf for iirc 4 nights) + show (lion king) + city pass (although that was free off the travel agent).

spending money I think I took £1.5k came back with £700
Robbo

28th Feb 13 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
poor Robbo
yup

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » NYC Budgetting 23 database queries in 0.0167282 seconds