corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How to give a good presentation

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How to give a good presentation
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jun 13 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always thought cue cards shows a bit of disorganisation, but you guys disagree and think I should use them?

MX5 Project Thread
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jun 13 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Preferable to losing your way.

[Edited on 12-06-2013 by Ian]
Tom

12th Jun 13 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt see that bit!

I'd still need to plan out (and write) my presentation though in terms of prep, but handouts would help as prompts on the day.

[Edited on 12-06-2013 by Tom]
neil h

12th Jun 13 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
My one single largest piece of advice for a strong delivery is to know what you're talking about.

So a few key good reasons why they should employ you, substantiated by lots of real evidence.
]

This is about the single best piece of advice you'r going to get. It's all well and good being able to talk about anything and everything but that broadens the options for questions. Stick to areas you really know inside out, that way they'll be asking you questions you can answer and hopefully impress with.

Also que cards are quite a good way of showing prior preperation, seeing you haven't got a slideshow to stand in front of.
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

May use a couple of cue cards then, I just don't want to become reliant on them. I've always been fine without them in the past but that's been in presentations where I've had other visual aids as cues.

I may take in a couple pics of my project work so they can understand the project better and make it a bit more interesting for them.

MX5 Project Thread
neil h

12th Jun 13 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest any evidence of relvant previous work would be good, be that photos or physical items.

Whats the actual position your applying for?
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's for a place on Rolls Royce's Mechanical Engineering Graduate program, but specifically Component Design.

MX5 Project Thread
Rob E

12th Jun 13 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say present something similar to what the job role is expecting of you. I hated doing presentations at Uni but now they are an everyday part of my job and as long as you have a good technical understanding about what you are presenting you will be fine. If you get quizzed about something and are unsure about it just be honest. They will have in mind that you are a graduate and will be fairly "green" to the industry and their working processes. A bit of swatting up on the company developments and milestones will help and try to incorporate them into your presentation somehow to show them you have a genuine interest in the position.

Make sure you are friendly and approachable too, it pays dividends at a working level and makes your working life a lot easier.
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in two minds as to what engineering work I should talk about. Project work is obviously fairly in depth so I have good knowledge about a specific area, however the role is component design so I could instead talk about my FEA piece of coursework.

The latter wasn't as in depth and I may not be as good on the questioning, but it may be slightly more relevant to the role.

MX5 Project Thread
pow
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at your panel and not your notes :-)
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah eye contact and all that is obviously better than staring at the floor. It's only going to be a maximum of 2 people too, so not much pressure.

MX5 Project Thread
Tommy

12th Jun 13 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think of the people that inspired you to be a component designer, get cardboard cut-out of their faces and talk about how they inspired you whilst wearing the mask.
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MX5 Project Thread
belton

12th Jun 13 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
I would struggle without any visual prompts personally, but I agree with Ian in that the most important thing is knowing the subject.

I recently had a job interview where I had to analyse a data set and report back with 'something interesting' (I was allowed to present some content which I did using prezi). If I were you I'd build a presentation in powerpoint or something and use some prompts to remember what you wanted to cover on each slide, but just spend time refining and thinking about examples you can use and spend as much time as you can reading and refining it as the prompts will become second nature. I'm not suggesting you try to memorise a set of slides at all btw, more just build yourself a set of prompts all with examples/experiences to back up what you're saying. Good luck...

[Edited on 12-06-2013 by Tom]

Following on from this . . When i do presentations at work I will do a powerpoint presentation with perhaps 4 short bullet points per slide, outlining that specific topic. Normally have 6-12 slides. Not as a prompt for myself but so the audience have something visual in front of them as its way too easy to get swallowed up in 10 minutes of information and come out not really remembering a thing. Also useful if you use any graphs etc?
You could hand these out at the beginning, and when your finished it will be really easy for them to pick up your presentation after, go through it and recollect what you spoke about on each point. Rather than just relying on them taking notes
Rob E

12th Jun 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the end of the day they are going to be judging your ability to communicate at a technical level. If Rolls Royce is anything as complex as my work place you will spend the first 6 months learning a new language of abbreviations, acronyms and processes. Very mind boggling at the start but once you grasp it you will enjoy it. My place is nutoriously laid back and full of banter between different engineering functions.

Does the role include FEA work? Our design engineers will design to set perameters then a separate team will perform The FEA or CFD analysis depending on the component. If it comes back successful from computer simulation it will then get tested in the real world conditions. Showing a good understanding of FEA would be advantageos I would have thought though.

[Edited on 12-06-2013 by Rob E]
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not 100% sure if the role will specifically involve FEA or not. I have a reasonable level of knowledge on FEA and CFD as they were two of the modules I took for my Masters, so I should be ok in providing logical answers to question they may have.

What they've said is the presentation should be approximately 10 minutes long with a maximum of 10 minutes questioning afterwards, what those questions will be on I'm not sure as in addition to those questions I have a competency and technical interview at other points in the day.

MX5 Project Thread
Rob E

12th Jun 13 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that case I would say the presentation will be more to judge your skills in presenting stuff then. Confidence is key and not stuttering and struggling to get your words out. Our graduates do a placement in all sorts of environments within the company which I think is a good way to do things because you get an insight into lots of different roles before settling into a specific role. Only thing left to say really is good luck an I hope you nail it
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, and thanks to everyone else who has given useful advice

MX5 Project Thread
Carl

15th Jun 13 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Talk about projects you've done that demonstrate the qualities they are looking for. If you've got props,evidence, media clippings that kind of stuff, take that and give them a copy. If it is something you are passonate about it will show.

Can you find out more about the job? i think this would help. possibly even more about the employers or team they have at the minute? Phone them up, try and have a chat with someone about it, this will show willing and it will also help you find out if it is the right place for you.
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Jun 13 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The interview has happened now but thanks for the input. Was a fairly full on day but nothing unexpected as I've had full assessment days before.

Had to do the presentation, answer questions on the company, have a competency interview, do a group exercise, do numeracy tests and have a technical interview.

All in all I think it went fairly well, will find out early next week if I've been successful, don't want to get my hopes up though.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, just a small update. Got a call earlier and I've been offered the job

Over the fucking moon!

MX5 Project Thread
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jun 13 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one mate.
Jules S
Premium Member

18th Jun 13 at 00:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Congratulations

I wouldn't have added anything more than Ian posted......know your shit is the best advice all day long

I'm usually on the panel these days and I've seen some bloody shockers
Ben J

18th Jun 13 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done mate!
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th Jun 13 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys.

Jules, yeah I think that's right. It didn't have to be jazzy as the quality of the presentation should be enough without having to dress it up. Plus if I was crap in the other sections throughout the day it wouldn't matter if my presentation was good or not. It's the complete package they're looking for.

It was a tough day but I'm so relieved I can relax now and not have to think about other job applications and assessment days.

MX5 Project Thread

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » How to give a good presentation 23 database queries in 0.0141690 seconds