corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » effects of a blowing exhaust, fact or fiction

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author effects of a blowing exhaust, fact or fiction
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
30th Nov 13 at 03:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 99sport
It passed the mot 4 weeks ago lol I've got all the new parts and fittings here to do this weekend. To be fair I have no clue if the guages are accurate or if having 16" wheels affect anything.

Bigger wheels should make the speedo slightly more accurate, which will make the consumption figures slightly better.

Wouldn't make it 50mpg though. I would think that's down to a dodgy calculation.

Brim the tank, reset the trip, drive about until it needs filling again, brim it again and note the number of litres it took and the number of miles you've recorded.

If you do that every time you brim it, you'll get an accurate picture.

And yes, there's a reason why they don't come with extra holes. Its preferable for it to go out the back and not at various points underneath.

[Edited on 30-11-2013 by Ian]
99sport

30th Nov 13 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can understand all the scepticism although some prick coming out with ' talking shit pal ' aint really on, dickhead. I can put £20 in and get from bristol to birmingham and back. £35 got me from birmingham to bristol then on to west wittering. I haven't worked out the mileages but its more than 20mpg! That's for damn sure
BenC1985

30th Nov 13 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you just said 50mpg even though you havent calculated it? Okaaaay then. My old 1.4 sport averaged 34mpg over a full tank and i work that out properly. And the way the sports rev on the motorway there is no way on earth you would get 50mpg. If they did do that i wouldnt have sold my corsa and bought a diesel astra.
99sport

30th Nov 13 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't get why people keep mentioning the revs? 3200 at 72mph is better than my old astra gte did! It isn't excessively high imo I have worked it out but didn't bother on those journeys. As said earlier I did 2000 miles in the last four weeks and I still reckon its good on fuel
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Nov 13 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I can understand all the scepticism although some prick coming out with ' talking shit pal ' aint really on, dickhead. I can put £20 in and get from bristol to birmingham and back. £35 got me from birmingham to bristol then on to west wittering. I haven't worked out the mileages but its more than 20mpg! That's for damn sure

You cant accuratly calculate mpg this way..

Just brim the tank, go do a journey, you dont have to empty the tank, make sure you fill up and brim it again then do the following..

Miles / litres x 4.5465 (litres per gallons) and that will tell you your mpg.

100 miles / 11.5 litres x 4.5465 = 39.53mpg
taylorboosh

30th Nov 13 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ronson
Shut up John D.

No
dewismotorsport

30th Nov 13 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
quote:
Originally posted by dewismotorsport
I struggled to get 30mpgs out of my Corsa gsi and was always revving high on motorway so god knows how your getting nearly 50mpgs?! Your speedo will be out most likely due to the up size in wheels what size tyres are they?

I dont think sitting at 6k rpm is good for fuel consumption

No what I meant was at motorway speeds it always seemed to be revving quiet high compared to any other car I'd owned/driven
99sport

30th Nov 13 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What gearbox Is meant to be in a x16xe sport and I'll check what's on it tomorrow when I do the exhaust, as it sounds to me like I've got longer gears than normal judging by the comments. I know it used to have a c20ne that was turbo'd using rst bits and then put back to a 1.6 when sold on, so a different gearbox may have been dropped in.
Generation

30th Nov 13 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben G

30th Nov 13 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This just gets better and better.

Jason x
Premium Member

30th Nov 13 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What gearbox Is meant to be in a x16xe sport and I'll check what's on it tomorrow when I do the exhaust, as it sounds to me like I've got longer gears than normal judging by the comments. I know it used to have a c20ne that was turbo'd using rst bits and then put back to a 1.6 when sold on, so a different gearbox may have been dropped in.

nice1 m15-7

[Edited on 30-11-2013 by CorsaBM8]
99sport

30th Nov 13 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have a look what it is tomorrow. Gets better and better? You not know about c20ne/rst?? Been doing it in mk2 astras for years!
Jambo

30th Nov 13 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eBay fuel resistor IMHO
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Nov 13 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Work it out properly, how many pound's worth you put in tells you nothing, the price changes.

I used to do 100 miles to a tenner, now I can't. That's not because the car has got worse, that's because the price has gone up.

Use my method, work it out properly, and have a proper figure. It won't be 20 but it also won't be 50.

Incidentally

Bristol to Birmingham and back, 176 miles
£20 at 137.9p is 14.5 litres
14.5 litres / 4.54 = 3.19 gallons
176 miles / 3.19 gallons = 55mpg

If that's the case, I'm drilling some holes in all my cars. It clearly makes magic happen.
Jambo

30th Nov 13 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrol has gotten significantly cheaper round here recently, this is more than likely what you are noticing.
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Nov 13 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Define cheaper
Nic Barnes

30th Nov 13 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Define cheaper
not as expensive as it was previously
Jambo

30th Nov 13 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I paid £1.32 for premium unleaded on Tuesday. Was up to £1.49 year or so ago. That's a fair difference.
99sport

30th Nov 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian looking at your calculation I'm gonna have to concede that something is definately amiss with my fuel guage. I'll have a go at your method and see what's really what. Cheers
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Nov 13 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be better on the motorway than driving around town stopping and starting but that's really quite high.
99sport

30th Nov 13 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the smallest engine I've ever had so had no reason to disbelieve it!? I'll work it out properly and see what's what though as I'm intrigued now
Andrew

30th Nov 13 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are getting 50 MPG out of an old 1.6 Corsa Sport I would be amazed. I struggle to get 40MPG out of a modern 1.6 petrol pug.

Fuel prices have reduced slightly over the past few weeks. I paid 126.7 for petrol at an ASDA in Sale Friday.

Think I spotted you on Friday Ian in a 52 plate blue Freelander going over the bridge by The Trafford Centre.
Stuart H

1st Dec 13 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get 39mpg with mixed driving in a 2 yr old 1.4 Sri corsa.
Tiger

1st Dec 13 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I miss fuel being 59.9p per litre
Generation

1st Dec 13 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart H
I get 39mpg with mixed driving in a 2 yr old 1.4 Sri corsa.

Ok?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » effects of a blowing exhaust, fact or fiction 22 database queries in 0.0169401 seconds