corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you ambitious?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are you ambitious?
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Feb 14 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest I was just glad to get a job straight after University.

MX5 Project Thread
Colin

15th Feb 14 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes exactly so why crave management unless its really what you think you are good at and want to do for the right reasons. Just saying, I think most folk will only want to succeed so they earn more.
p

15th Feb 14 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very. But things are easier said than done. Need a lot of luck as well.
Ben G

15th Feb 14 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem with my work is that if I want to progress I need to take a drop in money. My mortgage is still pretty big so i'm sort of stuck in a position where I earn enough to live comfortably and pay the bills, but want to get off shift work.

Bit annoying, but i'm still young with no kids so plenty of time yet.
Ben J

15th Feb 14 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.
johnny86
Premium Member

15th Feb 14 at 18:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not really ambitious. Im greedy I work 5 days a week for the company I work for and then I work weekends for another company bit more money. Im home by 3pm everyday so I dont mind working 7 days a week. Ill do this for 6 months it'll pay for turkey in july and then lapland at xmas
taylorboosh

15th Feb 14 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want a promotion, however whilst that gives me a free car, it also means a pay cut
ryzer

15th Feb 14 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, I am ambitious, it's not all about the money to me, I work hard and when I feel I'm capable of doing the person above me's role, I want to step up and progress.
Shell
Premium Member

15th Feb 14 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am very ambitious career wise and my desire to progress has almost absolutely nothing to do with money. It would be a nice added bonus but it isn't why I want to better myself.
John

15th Feb 14 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I didn't need money I'd sit on the internet all day reading about stuff.
3CorsaMeal

15th Feb 14 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some day I hope to have a 100 page car project thread. That's my 5yr plan.
whitter45

15th Feb 14 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes
Graeme
Premium Member

16th Feb 14 at 00:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I can be. Hence why trying to moving career at the moment as can't go any further.

I wouldn't say I'm materialistic. I like my lifestyle just wish I was a but more comfortable. My mission for now is to get my house to how I want it. Pay as much of the Mortage off as I can and try save up to buy a 2nd property off my own.
Andrew

16th Feb 14 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The company i work for now, i don't think there is much scope for me to move anywhere.

Plan is to work hard and learn as much as i can in hope the company will expand.

The money is good but the hours are long.
Dave

16th Feb 14 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the idea of being ambitious but apathy usually gets in the way.

Late last year I made the change from being a subbie joiner to a site manager, now directly employed by the company I was subbing to. Money is similar at the moment but will be much better than I was on plus company car, holiday pay etc as I gain experience and run my own sites. It's not something I was actively looking to do but figured I'd take the opportunity while it was there. Tbh it was getting away from manual labour as much as the pay that appealed to me, I've seen far too many blokes still on site at 50/60 and absolutely fucked to carry on down that road.

I'll probably just settle in to this role now, pester the company to put me through as much extra training/courses as they can then see where that takes me.

A lot of the time I think people who are very driven and ambitious end up missing the bigger picture, all they focus on is the next rung and their career, they end up having their lives ruled by their job when really the main aim of a job should always be to fund your lifestyle.
taylorboosh

16th Feb 14 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
The company i work for now, i don't think there is much scope for me to move anywhere.

Plan is to work hard and learn as much as i can in hope the company will expand.

The money is good but the hours are long.

The longer you stay there, the more they will get to know you, the less chance you have of promotion...
A2H GO

16th Feb 14 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very. I did well at school, started to do well at college then fucked up by dropping out after the first year.

Got a part time job at Tesco packing bread, within 18 months I was bakery manager on a fairly decent salary for an 18 year old, remember buying a Mini Cooper S Works outright. After a year or so I got sick of the hours and constant shit so started to look elsewhere.

Got a job in a call centre at a bank, 18 months later I was out of the call centre and managing a team of 14 people, 6 months after that I won individual of the year from over 12,000 people at the company. Spent another couple of years working my way up, through reorganisational designs I moved to be based in Manchester (4 hour commute everyday) and spent a couple of years as a Commercial Consultant negotiating £3-4m deals on a decent enough salary.

Also ran an eBay business at the time which grew to the point I either had to give up work or the business so I chose work over the business.

Around 3 years ago, at 25, still feeling unfulfilled I decided to persue something I'd enjoy doing everyday, programming. I looked into going back to Uni but through loss of salary and fees, over 3 years it would have cost £130k+, which I simply couldn't afford. I started learning every spare minute I had (which wasn't much when you're travelling 4 hours everyday). I eventually got a couple of apps on the app store towards the end of last year, and dropped a couple of emails to app development companies asking to work one day a week for free to get some experience.

One company got back to me and arranged a call with the director, after a pretty tough telephone interview they invited me down for a formal interview, the same interview they'd do with graduates. They ended up offering me a full time paid job as a 'Graduate Software Engineer'. I left the job I could do with my eyes closed for this job I barely knew how to do on less than half the salary with an extra hour commute everyday (5 hours now). It's never been about the money. I get to to work on some awesome apps like the BBC iPlayer, SkyScanner etc.

The hardest thing about it all is not the travelling, not learning a notoriously difficult skill, but doing it whilst being in a relationship. There have been points where I thought I'd have to choose between my dream and my wife. If I was single I could just get a flat in Manchester and be a stones throw from the office, get 25 hours of my life back every week, not be fucked every weekend, not get up at 6:30, get in at gone 8 and just want to go straight to bed every night. On the flip side, I chose to to marry her and she's stood by me the whole time for which I'm massively grateful.

/awaits cool story bro comments

[Edited on 16-02-2014 by A2H GO]
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th Feb 14 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 hours a day travelling is ridiculous. That's no life. But fair play to making the sacrifices needed in order to get somewhere.

Just make sure you don't get too obsessed by it and distance yourself from friends and family. I take it you don't have kids?

MX5 Project Thread
A2H GO

16th Feb 14 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No kids mate but that's kind of where we're at now, she's been ready for a while, but I'm clearly not, and I'm not sure we could even do it financially as a result of my decisions. Even more reason for me to respect her standing by me. I'm hoping to get the experience I need and then find a job local but at the back of my mind I know that this type of work is always going to be in the city's and therefore require travelling.
Gary
Premium Member

16th Feb 14 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't both of you move?
taylorboosh

16th Feb 14 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea seems simple?
Ben G

16th Feb 14 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 hours travelling to and from work every day is absolutrly ridiculous.

thats more obsession than ambition.
A2H GO

16th Feb 14 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Why don't both of you move?

I would in a heartbeat. We have a nice 4 bed detached house on a quiet estate, near a good school. She would have to move into a 1/2 bed appartment, she's comfortable with her fairly good job here, plus she likes to be near her family as they're very close. Why should she have to sacrifice all that for me, she's already done enough.
Aaron

16th Feb 14 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VPN?
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th Feb 14 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't have kids if you're never going to see them. Sounds like it could be your turn to make some sacrifices soon.

MX5 Project Thread

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you ambitious? 23 database queries in 0.0164921 seconds