corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » question regarding previous accident and insurance renewal.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author question regarding previous accident and insurance renewal.
Ben G

User status: Offline
27th Feb 14 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't live lee have that exact problem, John? Someone hit his audi whilst it was parked and he was in the house iirc.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Feb 14 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I know what you mean but I can also see how 'non-fault' can actually be your fault.

I can see that a non-fault accident means you didn't avoid it - but in a lot of cases, that's bollocks.

To take your point to its conclusion, its always your fault for going out that day.

Surely that's what I'm already paying for?
RichR
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Didn't live lee have that exact problem, John? Someone hit his Audi whilst it was parked and he was in the house iirc.

yep, I was in bed and the car was on the driveway not even the road; my insurers were notified but the entire claim was settled by the third party's insurer - I definitely got penalised for the next 3 years
John

27th Feb 14 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No.

If they have hard figures to show that you being in a non fault incident (there are rarely, if ever actual accidents), this will cost them more in the future, so they increase the premium. You don't need that explained Ian.

My point was that unlike some other things they increase the premium for, which seem completely made up, and the fact that I also originally thought it was unfair increasing for non-fault, it's actually completely understandable.

If you want to take the point to that conclusion then I'd completely agree. You are ultimately at fault for hitting anything while driving. I'd give some leeway if something fell from the completely open sky above.

No was to Ian before I had seen Lee's reply.

If Lee's car was parked legally then he's one of the unlucky ones. That comes down to him being bundled in with the rest of the stats and not being considered individually. They probably should be able to look at individual cases now.

[Edited on 27-02-2014 by John]
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Feb 14 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all unlucky though isn't it.

Someone hit my wing mirror while parked at a mate's house - is that luck or shouldn't I have been there?

When calculating my premium there's a reasonable expectation that I'll visit my mates and that I'll park on their roads, and that some will be thinner or busier than others.

They don't go to the trouble of asking me about the friends who have big driveways that I have the use of - so why should they also look surprised when someone squeezes past on a smaller street?

Car is insured Social, Domestic and Pleasure.

Social = parking it at people's houses.

I can fully see the stats bear it out and in some cases, you would discontinue parking there if it was being taken off every week.

But a one-off, on an otherwise incident-free street - I've never seen other mirrors damaged - its not even a busy street. Just one shit driver one day - how does that have any basis in stats? You'd never know. In fact, that guy has moved house now anyway and you need to speak to a security man and go through a barrier to get to his new place - I'll await my refund?
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Feb 14 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was parked by the (A)

http://goo.gl/maps/JDSzj

Still don't know to this day how anyone actually came to hit my car. Bin lorry for scale - you could pass two there and still not crash.
John

27th Feb 14 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've said a couple of times now if it's something like that you are just being tossed in with the rest of the non-faults, I don't think one of the drop down boxes is mirror off on legally parked car.

I'm also not sticking up for insurance, they are still complete con merchants. Just that the non-fault premium increase isn't as black and white as it would initially appear.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Feb 14 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And on which side does the doubt reside?

I'm agreeing with you - non-fault can mean your road positioning was shit and you didn't indicate - but don't forget in the majority of those cases you would have the accident circumstances and you shouldn't have to assume - if its been ruled non-fault, ie. no claim on your own policy occurred - why should you then pay for it later?

Seems easy to solve - don't pay out as if it were non-fault if later you're going to claim it wasn't.

And if you weren't even in the car - ala Rich's situation - certainly don't.

[Edited on 27-02-2014 by Ian]
John

27th Feb 14 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure how else I can reply. The stats apparently show that you'll cost them money further down the line, that's why you pay for it.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Not sure how else I can reply. The stats apparently show that you'll cost them money further down the line, that's why you pay for it.

Another way that crash for cash has cost us all, because of a minority repeatedly claiming for non-fault accidents causing false statistics which insurance companies can use to rip off everyone else rather than investigating false claims and saving themselves and their customers a fortune.
John

27th Feb 14 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I said, I've not got the figures here but I don't think crash for cash has affected them. It's been going on for longer than that.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Feb 14 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm finding it difficult to believe, if you graphed what you're suggesting, there would be a number of people at zero-claims, a dip at 1 and it would rise again as the number of claims went up.

Do the stats seriously suggest that 1 claim is the least frequently occurring situation?
JonnyJ

27th Feb 14 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I imagine it has, according to Saga Insurance

quote:
Crash for Cash fraud alone costs the insurance industry £392 million each year

Thats a fair chunk to write off as insignificant.

[Edited on 27-02-2014 by JonnyJ]
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I disagree, to my knowledge it's only in recent years that non-fault claims have started to affect your premium which ties in with the start of everyone who isn't at fault in an incident suffering a few grands worth of whiplash despite their car coming out completely unscathed. That and 'claims handlers'. They're all costing insurance companies more money and causing, or at least adding to the stats you mentioned. How could crash for cash not affect stats that apparently say if you make a non-fault claim, you're more likely to claim again? That's exactly what crash for cash is.
pow
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Claims management companies can go fuck themselves
John

27th Feb 14 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If crash for cash has skewed the figures then I completely agree, back to the insurance companies being at fault.
RichR
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Claims management companies can go fuck themselves

When the Audi got hit, I got passed on to another 'department' which ended up being a subsidiary Claims Management Company. At the time, I was oblivious to what they were or did, I essentially thought it was just the Claims department of the insurers. The quotes I had ranged from £750 - £1050 to repair my car and a drop off on Monday would be completed for collection on Friday. Once it went to insurance because the guy couldn't afford the £750-£1050, it ended up taking over 3 months, 90% of what they did, didn't need doing and the hire car was being charged out at £250 per day - iirc the final bill was somewhere in the region of £12,500 for a car which sold a couple of months later for under £3k.

[Edited on 27-02-2014 by RichR]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » question regarding previous accident and insurance renewal. 22 database queries in 0.0122368 seconds