corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Estate Cars - only thing big enough is a Mondeo...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Estate Cars - only thing big enough is a Mondeo...
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Sep 14 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kia sedona
John

13th Sep 14 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Why don't you look at some cross-over type cars? You get so much more room plus the re-sale values are better

Estates almost always have more usable space than a crossover, most are pretty small.
DaveyLC

13th Sep 14 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends what sort of 'space' you are after.. if you are after head-room the x-over will always win.. if you're after loading-length then most estates will win.
dannymccann

13th Sep 14 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything on auto trader is automatic, want it to be manual really plus mercs have a lot of expensive bits to go wrong especially at the mileages I am looking at for my budget, want something a little more mainstream.

Plus those R classes are horrible to look at
Robin
Premium Member

13th Sep 14 at 09:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Volvo v70 all day long, mine was awesome, proper cruiser and you can get a full size fridge freezer in the boot.
dannymccann

13th Sep 14 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea it's definitely load space taking the priority here which is why the estate is the body type of choice.
DaveyLC

13th Sep 14 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Everything on auto trader is automatic, want it to be manual really plus mercs have a lot of expensive bits to go wrong especially at the mileages I am looking at for my budget, want something a little more mainstream.

Plus those R classes are horrible to look at

I never understand you manual lovers if its not some RWD BEAST then what is the point of having a clutch?

[Edited on 13-09-2014 by DaveyLC]
dannymccann

13th Sep 14 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

V70 looks nice, they are a 2l 5cyl? Similar price to the Mondeo earlier, more miles on the clock and older though at a cursory glance, would be worth a look though
John

13th Sep 14 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It depends what sort of 'space' you are after.. if you are after head-room the x-over will always win.. if you're after loading-length then most estates will win.

I'd say needing headroom was pretty rare for someone wanting the car for kids and dogs. So more usable space.
Robin
Premium Member

13th Sep 14 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
V70 looks nice, they are a 2l 5cyl? Similar price to the Mondeo earlier, more miles on the clock and older though at a cursory glance, would be worth a look though

Mine was top of the range, 205bhp 2.4 5 cylinder diesel auto, they're going for 10k or so with 60k on, lower spec models are cheaper and still decent.
Gaz

13th Sep 14 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You said no Vans but what about Landy's?
John

13th Sep 14 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Freelander is a bit rubbish and discos are mega expensive to run out of warranty.
dannymccann

13th Sep 14 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Specifically didn't want a 4x4 simply for the running costs - tax, insurance (both only 26y/o) and fuel, would also look stupid on the drive of our new build house, taking up 1.5 spaces

We took the Mondeo out this morning and really really liked it, it's been the only thing we've seen that fitted the bill (there was a nice Avensis for less money but again the boot wasn't big enough!), nice local family dealership with good reviews for service, got a decent amount knocked off, 15 months on site warranty and on top of it all the missus actually liked it - one of the biggest pinch points in this search

Also on the plus side they gave us £650 for the shonky old Megane, I was banking on getting £250 for it / having to scrap it myself

Pick it up Friday once the 0% credit card arrives

Thanks for the ideas
deano87

13th Sep 14 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice!

I've hired an auto Mondeo for our 3.5 one hour drive through Germany.

I really like the SX4 S-Cross but they're brand new so would have been out of your budget
DaveyLC

13th Sep 14 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Specifically didn't want a 4x4 simply for the running costs - tax, insurance (both only 26y/o) and fuel, would also look stupid on the drive of our new build house, taking up 1.5 spaces

The Disco 3 is only 2cm longer and 4cm wider than a Gen3 Mondeo Estate yeah you'll lose out on Tax and Fuel but you win again on residuals

dannymccann

13th Sep 14 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God is it really, it 'looks' much bigger than that

Maybe the Mondy won't fit on the driveway either then
John

13th Sep 14 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

The Disco 3 is only 2cm longer and 4cm wider than a Gen3 Mondeo Estate yeah you'll lose out on Tax and Fuel but you win again on residuals

Still completely missing that a disco 3 will break down every single week and cost 2k every time something goes on it.
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 14 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As much as I should hate it, I love my X Type saloon. It shares only approximately 11% of its parts with a mondeo so isn't really a mondeo in drag. Also, because of the connotations of being a mondeo, they loaded them with extras which puts them at a level of kit significantly higher than the equivalent Audi/Merc/BMW. It's brilliant at log distance and really comfortable and my missus, like your's thought of it as a grandad car until she drove it and now thinks of it as a really comfortable, grandad car. The best thing about being inside one is that you don't need to see the outside of it!!
Marc

13th Sep 14 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate has just sold his 330Ci and replaced it with a 325 Sport tourer as he needed a more practical car. He has only had it a week so I'll try and get some feedback off him.
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 14 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
quote:

Still completely missing that a disco 3 will break down every single week and cost 2k every time something goes on it.

Our's didn't break down once - on the other hand, we never did get to the bottom of the gearbox / possible bad remap problem.
dannymccann

13th Sep 14 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wanted an XType Rich, wanted one for a year or so but could never find one that had decent history and the right interior inside, not a fan of light interiors which a lot of them tend to be. There was a lovely dark blue / purpley one with a chrome grill on a 59 plate, low mileage, right engine, the only thing that let it down was the entire interior was beige And it was £14k, but from the outside it was perfect
RichR
Premium Member

13th Sep 14 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines clocked 187,000miles and aside from things that you'd expect to go in that sort of mileage, it's been largely problem free. I can't get rid of it because a, it's worth nothing with that mileage to anyone but me and b) I can't work out what I want to replace it. I've just changed from doing a minimum of 350miles a week to doing less than 75 miles a week which opens up my options massively.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

14th Sep 14 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

We took the Mondeo out this morning and really really liked it, it's been the only thing we've seen that fitted the bill (there was a nice Avensis for less money but again the boot wasn't big enough!), nice local family dealership with good reviews for service, got a decent amount knocked off, 15 months on site warranty and on top of it all the missus actually liked it - one of the biggest pinch points in this search

Also on the plus side they gave us £650 for the shonky old Megane, I was banking on getting £250 for it / having to scrap it myself

Pick it up Friday once the 0% credit card arrives

Thanks for the ideas

You buying the car on the cc then? I suppose it's an alright way of financing one if you can keep it on 0%?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
dannymccann

14th Sep 14 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea 18 months 0%, put the cash away in savings so the 2.5% cc fee is absorbed and that way I've still got my cash should a big bill for something else come in, like a boiler or something

10% APR on finance and loans are around 7%, makes complete sense holding on to cash for as long as possible even though savings rates are still really low

[Edited on 14-09-2014 by dannymccann]
DaveyLC

15th Sep 14 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strapped up is strapped up, no matter which way you sugar coat it

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Estate Cars - only thing big enough is a Mondeo... 23 database queries in 0.0156829 seconds