corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what are the best halogen bulbs on the market?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author what are the best halogen bulbs on the market?
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
10th Nov 14 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got the osram and didn't think they were any different to my normal ones to be fair.

Ben what are you going for then
nibnob21
Premium Member

10th Nov 14 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read that these are meant to be good for the money:

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/sc/cobalt-blue-xenon-upgrade-car-bulbs/

MX5 Project Thread
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Nov 14 at 00:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you get any? What are Philips xterm envision plus bulbs like. Apparently 130% extra light....

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ben G

12th Nov 14 at 05:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not yet, haven't been able to do any car related stuff due to a strange groin injury after football

The xtreme vision ones are quite yellow according to reviews.

Apparently the whiter the light output is, the less area is actually lit up. I haven't got a clue whether that's true or not though.
Balling
Premium Member

12th Nov 14 at 07:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Apparently the whiter the light output is, the less area is actually lit up. I haven't got a clue whether that's true or not though.
That's not true. On the contrary, the closer you get to pure white light, the more it lights up. Theoretically.

The issue comes down to how the white colour is achieved.

Say you have a light with a yellow tint and you want it to be more white. You need to add some blue light to make it cooler.
Thing is, halogen just burns with a yellow tint, there's no way around that. You can't simply add blue light, it doesn't work that way.

So what bulb manufacturers do is add a blue filter, which works the opposite way of what you'd think. It doesn't add blue light, it simply retracts every other colour. So while the colour comes closer to pure white, light output is dimmed at the same time.

To compensate, light output is increased in other ways, but this is output of yellow halogen light, thus increasing the overall output, but reducing the effects of the filter.

This is all a bit of an oversimplification, but the message here is halogen is yellow. Making it blue/white is always going to be a compromise.

nibnob21
Premium Member

8th Dec 14 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In case anyone is still interested, I bought these:

MTEC 12v 55w Cosmos Blue HID Class upgrade bulbs H1, H4, H7, H8, H9, H11, 9005, 9006 - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store | HIDS Direct Ltd. for HID Xenon kits, Xenon bulbs, MTEC bulbs, LED's, Car Parts and Air Suspension
Extra 5% off with 'SOCIAL5'.

Give off a nice white light:

MX5 Project Thread
Ben G

13th Dec 14 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got some

Ben G

13th Dec 14 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just fitted them, not impressed compared to the hid's, but they'll do I guess.

Maybe they need some time to ''warm up''?
MarkM

13th Dec 14 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just put these in mine:
H7 Ring XENON Ultima +120% Headlamp Bulb 55W

They do a job and are more white than yellow.

Ben G

13th Dec 14 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My problem is that no halogen bulb will compare to my 5000k hid's. The light output was similar to new range rovers, which was great.

The bulbs themselves seem decent. They light the road up well, possibly better, just don't look as nice.

Function before form and all that.

[Edited on 13-12-2014 by Ben G]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

13th Dec 14 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Philips xtreme vision are very good the +130% ones. My car doesn't have projectors just normal headlamps.

I'm not just saying it either. I was convinced I was going to be wasting my money. Recommended.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ben G

13th Dec 14 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did see them in eurocarparts, Phil. Supposed to be very good but iirc they're 3700k. Mine are meant to be 4300k, which is the same temperature as the oem z4 xenon lights.

[Edited on 13-12-2014 by Ben G]
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Dec 14 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just ignoring my post further up then? The bulbs I've linked to are 4750k.

MX5 Project Thread
Ben G

13th Dec 14 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw it but I wasn't sure what to reply as i had bought some bulbs

Your ones look whiter than mine though.

Here's an awful pic of mine. The blue is from the led sidelight bulbs, which mask some of the yellowy colour.

Cole

13th Dec 14 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just had to fork out £80 for 2 bulbs on my qashqai that both went had to get Halfords to fit em aswell but I was hapy fore em to do that as I had spent nearly 2 hrs trying to get the ignitor back this morning after trying to find out which bulb I needed. Thank god for halfrods trade card to as it should fo been £140 inc fitting
Ben G

13th Dec 14 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't trust halfords with a barge pole

I can only change my drivers side bulbs by removing the bumper anyway as there's hardly any space at all in the wheel arch now and you'll end up with bloodied knuckles trying to do it the conventional way
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Dec 14 at 23:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh didn't realise you'd already bought some by that point.

I haven't had a chance on a quiet dark lane to check the proper light output of the bulbs but in terms of colour they're spot on. Best halogens I've had in that respect by a mile. Pretty cheap too.

MX5 Project Thread
Cole

13th Dec 14 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I wouldn't trust halfords with a barge pole

I can only change my drivers side bulbs by removing the bumper anyway as there's hardly any space at all in the wheel arch now and you'll end up with bloodied knuckles trying to do it the conventional way

luckily I knew the guy who was doing the job otherwise I wouldn't of gone there but when both bulbs fuck up on a Saturday and needing the car you kinda have no choice
Graham88

14th Dec 14 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not get Z4 Xenon's and retrofit them?
Ben G

14th Dec 14 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can but they're very expensive and hard to find.

You'd also need to re-code the car, swap the headlight switch for one without an adjuster and then somehow retro-fit the self levelling sensors on the front suspension.

That's far too big of a job for me, i'm afraid the Z4's xenons are also old tech now.

Had bi-xenon's on my focus st. I miss those
Graham88

14th Dec 14 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah fair enough, I should have guessed retro fit & BMW wouldn't be simple! You'd also need to tun the loom for the self levelling sensors and that won't be easy!

Can't beat modern Xenon's, even my M3 ones aren't that great compared to my mates Audi A5

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what are the best halogen bulbs on the market? 23 database queries in 0.0164940 seconds