corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Taiwan Air Crash Captured on Dashcam

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Taiwan Air Crash Captured on Dashcam
Jimbothebarbarian

User status: Offline
4th Feb 15 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That taxi driver (I think it's a taxi) needs to buy a lottery ticket if he got out of that unscathed. Shit the fooking bed!!
DaveyLC

4th Feb 15 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flying is no less-safe than its been before, the Media are just on the band-wagon at the moment.. Check out wiki for annual lists of serious commercial aviation crashes and you'll see this isn't even a particularly bad last 12 months.
Nic Barnes

4th Feb 15 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im flying to germany next month. im not worried.
DaveyLC

4th Feb 15 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for the cause a little bit of me suspects this might be another crash caused by un-secured loads or a bad center of gravity.

Similar to what happened to this 747:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksDISvCmNI
JonnyJ

4th Feb 15 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Flying is no less-safe than its been before, the Media are just on the band-wagon at the moment.. Check out wiki for annual lists of serious commercial aviation crashes and you'll see this isn't even a particularly bad last 12 months.

2014 was the safest on record i think. Just been one of those years where bizarre happenings have caught the medias attention, the disappearance of MH370, followed quickly by the shooting doing of MH17 over Ukraine meant everyone was going mental about flight safety when in truth, its safer than its ever been.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Feb 15 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
As for the cause a little bit of me suspects this might be another crash caused by un-secured loads or a bad center of gravity.

Similar to what happened to this 747:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksDISvCmNI

Remember that when it happened, so graceful but so utterly disastrous.
Jambo

4th Feb 15 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

B52 crash was similar in a way also. In Vegas IIRC
baza31

4th Feb 15 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taxi drivers will do anything for a whiplash claim these days
Dave

4th Feb 15 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I'm not sure, he's clearly losing altitude and it could be that the left wing stalled causing it to roll like it did. It looks like the number 1 engine is out, although I'm on my phone and it isn't too clear. Still should be able to climb on the other engine though, assuming that was still working.

Depends on whether an engine quits after the decision point but before the safe rotation speed. I forget which V this equates to, but on multi-engine aircraft there's a green line on the airspeed indicator which is your safe single engine takeoff speed.

It does look pretty nose high and a wing drop like that does indicate a stall though - scary stuff

Either way a single engine flameout shouldn't cause this plane to crash. The distance from the airport suggests it got airborne ok, even if it lost engine 1 fairly early, I think something caused the second engine to fail too. If they were already struggling on one engine and didn't have a lot of altitude losing the second would end things pretty quickly.
Gavin
Premium Member

4th Feb 15 at 20:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
Taxi drivers will do anything for a whiplash claim these days

Imagine him ringing this one through to the insurance

"ermmm yeah, just been invovled in an accident. Yeah, ermmmm a plane hit me"

pew pew pew pewwwww
SVM 286

4th Feb 15 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poor bastards.

Heroic effort on the part of the pilot if it was his actions that got it in the river as opposed to a selection of buildings.
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th Feb 15 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last words from the pilot were apparently 'Mayday mayday engine flameout'.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pilot-mayday-mayday-engine-flameout-094007638.html

MX5 Project Thread
ed

5th Feb 15 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
I'm not sure, he's clearly losing altitude and it could be that the left wing stalled causing it to roll like it did. It looks like the number 1 engine is out, although I'm on my phone and it isn't too clear. Still should be able to climb on the other engine though, assuming that was still working.

Depends on whether an engine quits after the decision point but before the safe rotation speed. I forget which V this equates to, but on multi-engine aircraft there's a green line on the airspeed indicator which is your safe single engine takeoff speed.

It does look pretty nose high and a wing drop like that does indicate a stall though - scary stuff

Either way a single engine flameout shouldn't cause this plane to crash. The distance from the airport suggests it got airborne ok, even if it lost engine 1 fairly early, I think something caused the second engine to fail too. If they were already struggling on one engine and didn't have a lot of altitude losing the second would end things pretty quickly.

It can though - if the engine quits on the takeoff roll after the decision point (i.e. the point where you can safely abort the flight and bring the aircraft to a stop) but before the minimum single engine takeoff speed then you're in big trouble. Try to stop and you're going to hit whatever's at the end of the runway, try to takeoff and you're likely to stall.
Dave

5th Feb 15 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not how it works, once you have hit V1 you are taking off and the plane will have enough thrust spare on the other engine to keep you airborne, it's a requirement for all commercial airliners.

It's also the most practiced emergency event for any commercial pilot. In this case FR24 says they got to around 1000ft normally, suggesting that's about the time they lost the first engine. Either the second engine lost power too or the pilots screwed this up.
3CorsaMeal

5th Feb 15 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must have taken off from a conveyor belt imo
baza31

5th Feb 15 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only on cs can we have aviation experts
Jambo

5th Feb 15 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ed has a pilots license so probably knows what he's talking about
3CorsaMeal

6th Feb 15 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a pilot pen, its a Hi tec V5 Rollerball.
MatthewR

6th Feb 15 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I have a pilot pen, its a Hi tec V5 Rollerball.

Ive got Hi tecs
Dave

6th Feb 15 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some reports now suggesting the pilots shut down the good engine. If that's true engine 1, which isn't running in the video, was the one the pilots shut down after having issues with it on a previous flight. Engine 2, which appears to be running, had some sort of malfunction and dropped to idle, although didn't shut down all together.
Dave

6th Feb 15 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31162351

Pretty damning if it turns out to be true. Very similar to the Kegworth crash too.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Taiwan Air Crash Captured on Dashcam 23 database queries in 0.0210030 seconds