corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2012

New Poll
  <<  17    18    19    20    21    22    23  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day 2012
Jamie Walby

User status: Offline
25th Jul 12 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off to France tonight to cycle. Je Voudrais un Croissant.
AlunJ

26th Jul 12 at 05:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Voila, un croissant monsieur. €1 s'il vous plait.
Enjoy yourself buddy
Jamie Walby

29th Jul 12 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done. Pretty easy but very enjoyable.
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

29th Jul 12 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've wanted to get in to road riding the last few weeks and I think the olympics has spurred me on that bit more...

Spoke to my Dad today about it and he has an old 1970-80's road racer sat at my Nans house.

Is it likely that I'll be able to get this up to todays specs?

Obviously the frame and forks are probably heavy by todays standards but are modern brakes and gears likely to fit?

Messed around with loads of BMX's and Mountain bikes in the past but never a road bike.

Only main reason for using the old frame is because of the sentimental value it has to my dad and because it's sat wasting away.

Any help would be great

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Cole

29th Jul 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking of getting a bike will be mtb as I live at the foot of the south downs so would be silly not to take advantage of that. I've been looking at the btwin rock rider 5.3 from decathlon seems a pretty good starter bike and it's only £300 I've looked on bikeradar and they seem to rate it just wondered if anyone has had any experience with these bikes
Rick Draper

29th Jul 12 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Treated myself recently:
AlunJ

30th Jul 12 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much that set you back rick? I fancy an s-works frame.
@darryl - you got any pictures/spec? Old road bikes in nice nick are quite something, not sure on the modern parts fitting but I don't see why not.
Darryl H
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 08:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to have a look at it this afternoon, I'll get some photos up then

Not a clue on spec, don't think my dad's too sure either

Rick Draper

30th Jul 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
How much that set you back rick? I fancy an s-works frame.

I bought the frame and forks from Sigma sport and that was £2.5k. Then took most of the Sram Red parts off my Felt with the exception of a new Red yaw front mech and a BB30 chainset. I was going to stick the Mavics off my Felt on it but I bought some 2013 Racing Zeros instead. Its a amazing frame, very stiff and it is a fair bit lighter than my old F3.
AlunJ

30th Jul 12 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ouch big money!
ArdenAndy

30th Jul 12 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my bike isnt anything special but i though i would share anyway also does anyone know if i could change to a triple crankset without creating any problems elsewhere?

Darryl H
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's the beast Alun

AlunJ

31st Jul 12 at 05:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy, you'll need the crankset, a new front mech, a triple shifter, and depending on what rear mech you have it needs to be a long cage.
AlunJ

31st Jul 12 at 05:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Darryl, looks good to get started on, my fixed gear had a similar frame and it handled really well. Perhaps a modern saddle and some clipless pedals to get started, if you wanted to change the handle bars they do conversion stems for the wider modern bars.
Darryl H
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Alun, looked on the bay, that handle bar conversion, is it basically a stem that comes out the forks that you attach a new style headset to or is it moulded together similar to mine?

I road it with a mate yesterday and it's smoother than my mountain bike in terms or gears and feels very solid. It looks a bit old but I'm sure after some tarting up it will be alright

Liam

31st Jul 12 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So after a few different ideas about with full susser I wanted, I tried out a couple (Canyon Nerve + Stumpy) 2 weeks ago I bit the bullet and ordered myself the bike I wanted all along, the Orange 5

Got myself a 2013 spec with no upgrades yet, but I will be going 2x10 or possibly 1x10 if funds allow, I got a pretty good discount on the bike itself (about 18% off list price)

I went for pretty boring black but, spruced it up with custom stickers and coloured pedals/grips from superstar components!

Pics

Can't wait to get up to the chase and ride it!
AlunJ

31st Jul 12 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Darryl H
Cheers Alun, looked on the bay, that handle bar conversion, is it basically a stem that comes out the forks that you attach a new style headset to or is it moulded together similar to mine?

I road it with a mate yesterday and it's smoother than my mountain bike in terms or gears and feels very solid. It looks a bit old but I'm sure after some tarting up it will be alright

The one I've got sort of fits in where the quill stem is and allows you to fit a newer wide stem to it.
AlunJ

31st Jul 12 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Orange five :drools:
Darryl H
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
quote:
Originally posted by Darryl H

The one I've got sort of fits in where the quill stem is and allows you to fit a newer wide stem to it.

Yeah found some of them

Should be getting some bits for it and getting it powder coated so will put pics up when it's done

AlunJ

1st Aug 12 at 05:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tidy
Jamie Walby

1st Aug 12 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just signed up to do the New Forest Rattler in a few weeks. Needed an event to keep me motivated.

Just doing the 47 mile distance as have a pre season friendly at 1.30 in the afternoon the same day.
Cole

1st Aug 12 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the way you say just doing 47miles lol
Cole

1st Aug 12 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right all this talk of road bikes has got me looking at them now im an absolute beginner when it comes to this well in adulthood anyway used to ride alot when i was a kid 20yrs ago lol. Basically i need to get fit ive got some nice roads near me which make ideal riding. Ive read through this thread a few times now and just not sure what i want to get as ive got the besat of both worlds here roads and the southdowns i can see getting an mtb as a fun way to get fit but the road bike being the best way to get fit what would you lot recommend i dont have mega budgets either.
Jamie Walby

2nd Aug 12 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Road bike and ride it everywhere, to shops/work and you will be fit in no time.
AlunJ

2nd Aug 12 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
Love the way you say just doing 47miles lol

me too, even when I was fit I couldn't do more than 20miles, I get bored too easily

<<  17    18    19    20    21    22    23  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2012 24 database queries in 0.0218751 seconds