corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread

New Poll
  <<  17    18    19    20    21    22    23  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread
Dom

User status: Offline
1st Mar 14 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't really been following this test (will have to catch up next week) but heard Merc had a number of issues with their gearboxes - apparently they lost two doing similar number of laps - anyone know if this is likely to affect other Merc engined teams?

Good to see RBR are doing well though
JonnyJ

1st Mar 14 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok Massa has just done a 1.33.2, thats pretty fucking quick, bets time of the Bahrain tests. Fair play.
JonnyJ

1st Mar 14 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laps completed on day three

1) Felipe Massa (Williams) 99

2) Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 103

3) Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 87

4) Kevin Magnussen (McLaren) 88

5) Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso) 81

6) Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) 115

7) Jules Bianchi (Marussia) 78

8) Marcus Ericsson (Caterham) 117

9) Romain Grosjean (Lotus) 33

10) Adrian Sutil (Sauber) 1

11) Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) 0

1) Felipe Massa (Williams) 1:33.258

2) Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 1:33.484

3) Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:35.426

4) Kevin Magnussen (McLaren) 1:35.894

5) Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso) 1:36.113

6) Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) 1:36.205

7) Jules Bianchi (Marussia) 1:37.087

8) Marcus Ericsson (Caterham) 1:38.083

9) Romain Grosjean (Lotus, 1:42.166

10) Adrian Sutil (Sauber) No time

11) Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) No time
JonnyJ

1st Mar 14 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty impressive from Merc to get 103 laps nailed down given they missed nearly all of the morning. Williams are looking very good, most reliable so far AND fast.
fred7

1st Mar 14 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A little disappointed with how mclaren have seem to of stayed in the same position. Was doing well first test but seem to be lacking in places again.
JonnyJ

1st Mar 14 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fred7
A little disappointed with how mclaren have seem to of stayed in the same position. Was doing well first test but seem to be lacking in places again.

Early tests the times meant absolutely nothing. To a certain extent they still dont, though i dont think you'll find many, if any, teams sandbagging this season. Expect a lot of updates to come at Australia though.

I think many are saying Mclaren are currently the 3rd/4th fastest team, though Ferrari are still an unknown.
Jamie-C

1st Mar 14 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would love to see massa do well at williams this year, when is the first race and will it be on bbc?
Dave

1st Mar 14 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

March 16th (two weeks) and no, Sky only.
fred7

1st Mar 14 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crikey it is 2 weeks goes quick!
JonnyJ

1st Mar 14 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon if you finish, you'll get points.
jrdn7

2nd Mar 14 at 02:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are there any highlights of Australia on BBC?
Cole

2nd Mar 14 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more problems for redbull again this morning vettel stops out on track and merc still have gearbox problems
fred7

2nd Mar 14 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seen vettle facing the wrong way with smoke coming from the rear again lol. Those williams are flying again today!! Didnt realise this was first year for williams with a merc engine but williams still making there own transmission looks like a good mix!

[Edited on 02-03-2014 by fred7]
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Mar 14 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope that Williams is as good as it looks. I can't imagine anyone doing quali runs on high fuel this pre-season, they've all got so much to learn so need things to be accurate as possible but I can't help thinking they'll rock up to Australia and just be "ordinary". With a Merc lump they should at least be looking at regular Q3 attendance though

I'm not sure what I enjoy most, Redbull breaking down a lot - or Redbull stringing together laps, but being REALLY slow

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

2nd Mar 14 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was a slow burner today, got up hoping to see Lewis smash some laps but he was even out till a few minutes before lunch. Merc seems to enjoy eating gearboxes so thats definitely something they need to look at. After dinner it was red flag after red flag, bit of a nightmare really. Bit of common sense meant they got it extended.

Nightmare day for Mclaren, god knows what happened to them today, not looking massively quick either.

Williams look in very good shape. I'd be very surprised if at least one of them wasnt on the podium, if not both. Its going to look pretty cool with its Martini livery

Roll on Australia, should be fascinating

Best times and tyres used in Bahrain

[Edited on 03-03-2014 by JonnyJ]
JonnyJ

3rd Mar 14 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/03/analysis-the-pecking-order-after-the-most-unpredictable-f1-winter-tests-for-years/

Really interesting article to read there from James Allen and Mark Gillan. Some good analysis of the long runs people did, looking at speed and tyre deg.

They've got it listed as Merc out in front, then a gap back to Williams and Ferrari, the order of which is too tight to call, then a bigger gap to Force India and Mclaren, with Renault teams nowhere.

Good to see them saying the Merc looks like it looks after its tyres well
JonnyJ

3rd Mar 14 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graph

Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Mar 14 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems to be some mixed info on the tyre used by Lewis for his fastest lap. The above (and Pirelli) says used soft, but Lewis himself and the Sky live feed at the time said SS.

It might not be important, but it could make Williams look slightly better than the above would indicate.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

3rd Mar 14 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Seems to be some mixed info on the tyre used by Lewis for his fastest lap. The above (and Pirelli) says used soft, but Lewis himself and the Sky live feed at the time said SS.

It might not be important, but it could make Williams look slightly better than the above would indicate.

They initially reported SS which at the time i found odd as just before he posted his fastest lap, they had just gone out on the softs, the first shots of of him using the SS and the time the team tweeted the photo were about 10 mins after his fastest lap, so didnt coincide, i was a bit shocked when they reported SS. Sky have changed their article from when it was first posted so they must have got some more reliable info. When they run the live feed they dont get to see the cars live on track as the media centre at Bahrain doesnt have a view of it.
Rob_Quads

3rd Mar 14 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Hamilton is spot on with this comment "There will be mistakes through the whole paddock I'm sure, and hopefully we'll make the least."

Getting to the finish without pushing it too much will be the key to winning IMO
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Mar 14 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

They initially reported SS which at the time i found odd as just before he posted his fastest lap, they had just gone out on the softs, the first shots of of him using the SS and the time the team tweeted the photo were about 10 mins after his fastest lap, so didnt coincide, i was a bit shocked when they reported SS. Sky have changed their article from when it was first posted so they must have got some more reliable info. When they run the live feed they dont get to see the cars live on track as the media centre at Bahrain doesnt have a view of it.

It's been clarified as a SS lap time, so Massa/Williams time was "legit"!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

5th Mar 14 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top speeds at Bahrain. The Ferrari one was achieved with a tow, so you can disregard that. Looking at the the teams you can clearly see a running order, Merc -> Renault -> Ferrari
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Mar 14 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wonder how much of it is engine and how much of it is aero.

Majority will be engine I would imagine, but there's an even higher penalty this year for having dirty downforce - as the fuel saving will really hurt them too.

RBR's recipe right up to 2013 really was just pile on downforce, and blow through loads of fuel in a race, suffer speed on straights but get awesome cornering pace and critically better tyre management.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

5th Mar 14 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The Ferrari one was achieved with a tow...

Got source? AMUS article doesn't mention anything, neither does @gruener (from what i can see) nor does anyone mention a tow on F1Technical - they're like school children, so they'd be the first to mention it .

Plus Ferrari only managed a handful (think it was three) of 330+ runs so it could mean absolutely anything.

Either way, Australia is going to be epic
JonnyJ

5th Mar 14 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
The Ferrari one was achieved with a tow...

Got source? AMUS article doesn't mention anything, neither does @gruener (from what i can see) nor does anyone mention a tow on F1Technical - they're like school children, so they'd be the first to mention it .

Plus Ferrari only managed a handful (think it was three) of 330+ runs so it could mean absolutely anything.

Either way, Australia is going to be epic

Was put on the SkySports live feed when they were mentioning top speeds and how "insiders" at Ferrari were saying they reckon 75bhp down on the Merc

[Edited on 05-03-2014 by JonnyJ]

<<  17    18    19    20    21    22    23  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0222740 seconds