corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody

New Poll
  <<  19    20    21    22    23    24    25  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question for everybody
SVM 286

User status: Offline
24th May 06 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S

darren,

It is possible that the wheels and conveyor belt are doing 400mph and the plane itself is doing 600mph

It isn't Jules. We already know that the belt travels at the same speed as the craft.

That is the overriding factor here.
Paul_J

quote:
Originally posted by gianluigi
I think that Live Lee guy has the right idea

please tell me you a fucking joking Live lee has just been talking twaddle all the way through this post

At least people like dave17,SVN,Darren etc are correct in the way they're thinking - just shame they're not thinking in the way the question is set

Live_Lee just talks crap.
John

There is no point in taking this any further without a concrete proof.
Live lee has a good argument and he knows why he's arguing like that.
There are now idiots joining in and thinking they are 100% correct no matter how stupid what they are saying is.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th May 06 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
the forward propulsion of the thrust jets [is what] causes the rotation of the wheels
No its not. Its the relative position of the ground to the moving plane which moves the wheels. If you move the ground, you cancel this effect, but the plane is still moving.
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by Jules S

darren,

It is possible that the wheels and conveyor belt are doing 400mph and the plane itself is doing 600mph

It isn't Jules. We already know that the belt travels at the same speed as the craft.

That is the overriding factor here.

agreed!
they are at the same speed constantly no acceleration from any of the 2. therefore as the plane is geographically on the same spot it will not get any wind lift which makes a plane take off in the first place
Hammer

24th May 06 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
I won't be swayed until someone shows me a 737 taking off from a static position at full throttle on a giant conveyor belt that is matching it's speed.

And speed is the key here. We are discussing speed, not force.

You will never see a plane sitting on a giant conveyor stationary and take off - As that's not whats being discussed here. IT's neither likely what we are discussing would ever happen either.

Please open your mind and review what people are saying, everyone else has gathered already the plane is not stationary.

Geographically it IS stationary Paul, because the belt compensates for any motive input from the craft.

All we know is that the belt travels at the same speed as the plane.

It's very simple.

has someone hacked into your account? last time i checked you seemed to come across as someone with rational thought
Ian
Site Administrator

24th May 06 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Its my feeling that we need a better question. The confusion has arisen because the question implies but does not confirm two things. What is propelling the belt and whether the plane is free to move.
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Geographically it IS stationary
Depends what you're measuring against. Relative to the ground, yes, but then as I've already said the ground is not important.

You could not stop a plan by spinning its wheels backwards. It wouldn't slow down.

Awesome way of looking at it
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Its my feeling that we need a better question. The confusion has arisen because the question implies but does not confirm two things. What is propelling the belt and whether the plane is free to move.

i think everyone assumes the belt has its own power and the plane is free to move.

anyone please correct me if im wrong
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sxi04

disengage your brain from treating the aircraft as a car for just one minute, and please do something for me, and maybe the penny will drop.

if you have your mobile phone handy place a pen underneath and sit both on top of a piece of scrap paper. now move the scrap paper and the phone at the same speed in opposite directions as stated in the question.

If you come back and still believe that by moving the ground under the wheels is the same as exerting an equal force on the planes jets then i dont hold much hope that you'll ever be swayed.

I won't be swayed until someone shows me a 737 taking off from a static position at full throttle on a giant conveyor belt that is matching it's speed.

And speed is the key here. We are discussing speed, not force.

well they do say ignorance is bliss my wordy friend

I have demonstrated no ignorance in my replies Mr. 04.

Incidentally, I haven't at any point treated the craft as a car.

Your mind reading skills are a bit ropey this evening sir.

P.S. Look at the size of your reply, and the size of mine.

I think you get the gold for wordyness sir.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th May 06 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks.

This damn belt is having no effect whatsoever on the planes ability to thrust itself forward.

Not difficult.
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Yes, from about page 2 I said it was brad's fault for crap question

I just find it amusing, that people like you ian, me and other's can understand we're right this way, but understand where the other's like darren SVN are coming from (how they could've mis-interepreted the question) - but I find it amusing they can't get their head round at all in the way we may be possibly thinking.
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Thanks.

This damn belt is having no effect whatsoever on the planes ability to thrust itself forward.

Not difficult.

it would seem its not difficult wouldnt it
bradfincham

24th May 06 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Thanks.

Not difficult.

IAN is god remember guys, and he is on the winning team

P.S - Ian says that we will be at 4 million posts very soon!!

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by bradfincham]
Jules S
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
thank you, ffs this really is like trying to educate PORK

You like that phrase dont you

perhaps I should copyright it
John

24th May 06 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imo Ian the conveyor being powered is irrelevant.
If the plane is tethered in place by something then no it won't take off but that would be a stupid question.
Steve
Premium Member

i love that phrase mate
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
the forward propulsion of the thrust jets [is what] causes the rotation of the wheels
No its not. Its the relative position of the ground to the moving plane which moves the wheels. If you move the ground, you cancel this effect, but the plane is still moving.

which is what I've said - the relative position to the groundplane is achieved as a result of the thrust from the engines - moving the body of the plane!

Paul I havnt talked any "twaddle" - Ive backed up everything I've sadi - stop being a dick

I'm sat with the godfather of jet propulsion, Savitsky's book in front of me - nothing I've said has been "Twaddle"
Ian
Site Administrator

24th May 06 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i think everyone assumes the belt has its own power and the plane is free to move.
In this instance, I fail to see how an aircraft propelled by thrust on its wings would fail to move.

Does this mean sea planes can't take off if there's a current? WTF.
Steve
Premium Member

what does Savitsky know about conveyor belts?
SVM 286

24th May 06 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave17
quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
Question:

If an aeroplane is taking off but is on a conveyor belt that is moving at the same speed as the plane, would the plane take off?

Just realised it doesnt even say its moving in the opposite direction, could both be going forward, if this was the case, then it would definately take off.

Im done

Bloody good point Dave.

If it is in fact travelling in the same direction as the plane it would render this entire thread redundant.
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I told my mate this one when we went to pick up a chinese. He was swearing blind like SVN etc, about it being stationary. Then I started explaining it in Steve / Ian's sense and he suddenly went oh yeh!

I think it's a lot easier to understand if you explain it in person, the problem here is some people have a picture in their head of what it is like and thus when we say things, it doesn't fit in with what they are thinking of.
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by gianluigi
I think that Live Lee guy has the right idea

please tell me you a fucking joking Live lee has just been talking twaddle all the way through this post

At least people like dave17,SVN,Darren etc are correct in the way they're thinking - just shame they're not thinking in the way the question is set

Live_Lee just talks crap.

thats really pissed me off - you are a cunt of sorts arnt you!
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Does this mean sea planes can't take off if there's a current? WTF.

this is what i said to my mother, she used to teach science and agrees with me, that the plane would take off, wether it be in rough seas, on a conveyor belt, or into a strong wind
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

which is what I've said - the relative position to the groundplane is achieved as a result of the thrust from the engines - moving the body of the plane!

Paul I havnt talked any "twaddle" - Ive backed up everything I've sadi - stop being a dick

I'm sat with the godfather of jet propulsion, Savitsky's book in front of me - nothing I've said has been "Twaddle"

anyone can quote anything - but it's making it relevant and understanding it mate

wasn't it you that first of all seemed to think when on the ground it was powered by the wheels

<<  19    20    21    22    23    24    25  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody 22 database queries in 0.0269060 seconds