corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  25    26    27    28    29    30    31  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Jul 13 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I admit some of the quotes I've had are pretty much tinhat shit, which I can't honestly bring myself to believe - but it seems like the universal opinion of these rollers online is on the negative side of neutral.

At the Dyno day I attended, all of the FWD cars made expected power, with some low mileage new cars making HIGHER than stock figures - so I don't think it's a case of the rollers being particularly uptight... the readouts from my run were just wrong from all angles, and conflicted with everything we looked at today so I think there was a fundamental fault with how my runs were carried out.

If my AFR on the day came back at 11.4 and my boost curve was as expected, but I still had 30bhp "missing" - I'd have shrugged the day off and thought not much of it. The "scary" data was not the peak power or torque, and that's why I pursued it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 13 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think there probably was an issue with your particular run I wouldn't listen to most of those comments though. It's just people throwing there toys out the pram because reality has hit them that there exhaust hasn't actually added 20bhp.
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Jul 13 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jul 13 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv seen it happen loads on here, people coming and claiming they've gained X amount of power from basic mods, and that there rr printout is proof. When you point out rr's are not proof of anything especially as the majority are either run incorrectly or purposely wrongly calibrated they literally go wild.
John

4th Jul 13 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could also be that they give standard readings for standard cars to make it look like it's accurate.

Someone should take a mapped car in and tell them it's standard.
chris_uk
Premium Member

4th Jul 13 at 23:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first ever RR'd i went to in the VX (not RS Tuning) i got this

then, nothing done to the car i went to RS Tuning it made bang on 143bhp (dont have the pring out)

then i got some shit done and went back (still pre s/c)

then, i went to courtenay sport for my last map (s/c fitted but m62 charger)

then, fitted new charger and went to RS Tuning to make sure it was running ok on the AFR.

this was the AFR

[img]http://s904.photobucket.com/user/Chrisr1984/media/4293DA59-EA62-46A3-ABAF-EDAB66389B86-7684-00001E21B76AF013_zpsc2404830.jpg.html]

i dont have the power print out but it made 306bhp and 275ft/lbs.

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

5th Jul 13 at 01:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you fitted the new cat?
Steve
Premium Member

5th Jul 13 at 07:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you explain your point rather then posting a load of pics plz cheers
chris_uk
Premium Member

5th Jul 13 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just comparing rs tuning to other rr'd places, probably shouldnt of added the pics. Ill edit.

I know a lot of cars which have gone tere which have been standard (100 - 350bhp) and made pretty much bang on (2-3bhp difference) the power they should of.

CORSA NUT

5th Jul 13 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New bolts etc

Glad you got the answers you needed too man
iXiiN

9th Jul 13 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the attention to detail, have just read through the thread start to finish and was a little bit sad it ended to be honest.

Keep up the brilliant work, will certainly be keeping an eye on this.
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Jul 13 at 16:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm glad you're enjoying it, I'd like to think somebody likes reading this shit

If I have my way, the thread is a long way away from ending so don't worry too much

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Jul 13 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Purchase for today:

£2.50 well spent

I like this page, spotted some bushes I want to replace and a few bits I need to paint

CAN I HAS ISOFIX?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

9th Jul 13 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That cat
Ben G

9th Jul 13 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your cat is such an attention whore, it should be called nic barnes.

[Edited on 09-07-2013 by Ben G]
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jul 13 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye she's a tart.

I used to shoo her away from pictures I was taking indoors, but it seems she has a bit of a following now so I let her get on with it.

As soon as the camera is out, she's in there

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SXIBrad

10th Jul 13 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car looks sweet! Glad you don't have any big issues with it. Are you having it remapped again in the future?
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jul 13 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXIBrad
Car looks sweet! Glad you don't have any big issues with it. Are you having it remapped again in the future?

Ta. For sure this will not be the end of the mapping for this car.

Need to plan my next round of the engine upgrades and coordinate them all together

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Jul 13 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I came from a 2010 Civic Type R and one of the things I miss is the "crisp-ness" of the driver inputs. The gear changes in the Civic were almost digital, so precise and confidence inspiring and the steering feel has the Impreza beat too.

This has spawned a mini-project which I can trickle away at over the rest of the year which will probably involve at least some of the following:

Gear Linkage bushes
Steering rack bushes
Engine pitch mount
Possibly some wishbone/chassis poly bushes.

In addition to the above, I've got track-rod ends and balljoints on the list as I'm still not 100% with the handling of my car. I'm putting off coilovers for aslong as possible because I need to spend big bucks to get some which won't ruin the ride quality too much. The car feels fine on turn-in and exit, I'm getting more and more confident on the brakes then early on the gas through stop-go type corners but as soon as the road opens up and I get a bit of speed up my confidence is knocked by tramlining and bump-steer(?) I've experienced similar across a few different tyre setups, pressures and aligment configs so now looking at bolting some more parts on.

I've read positive write-ups on a roll-centre correction kit which basically involves taller balljoints (and matching track-rod ends) to push the angle of the wishbones just below parallel with the bottom of the car. This means whilst under load (turning or absorbing bumps) the suspension is thrown into it's optimal range for the geometry rather than pushing past it.

As the Impreza came stock, the wishbones sit pretty much flat when the car isn't moving, and with lowered suspension it even pushes the angle of them pointing upwards. This means that before the car is even turning, the suspension geometry is to cock and the roll centre adjustment kit his hence slated as one of the better bolt-on suspension upgrades. In the instance of my perceived bumpsteer, the roll-centre kit will avoid the scenario whereby my wishbones are pointing to the sky and causing the wheels to toe-out... or something like that

My only concern is that my car isn't that much lower than stock, the prodrive springs I use at 15-20mm lower I believe and I don't want to throw the geometry too much in the other direction, so I shall need some research before spending out on this kit. That said, it's a relatively cheap kit and if nothing else it will provide me with a good platform for the inevitibility of coilovers.

My limited experience with balljoints however is that they don't like coming out without a grinder of some description, so my confidence of retaining my OEM ones is a little on the low side

If you read through that snoozefest, here's my actual update for today... gear linkage bushes!

The cabletied one in the right of shot will go inside the car just beneath the gaitor. This connects the selector to a semi-fixed horizontal bar which I guess simply limits the movement of the stick out of it's intended range.

The two smaller ones and the large one all go under the car and I've had a crawl under tonight for a quick scout. They seem accessible enough but one of the big brackets will need to come off which supports the transmission. Shouldn't be too much drama to support it with a jack whilst I get the bushes swapped.

I should grease them up right before fitting? The rubber OEM ones in place now are oozing with the stuff.

Also whilst under the car I scouted out the steering rack bushes, they look like a proper pain in the ass so they might wait till later

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

16th Jul 13 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

poly engine pitch mount will make the whole car vibrate like fuck
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Jul 13 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, I'm aware that certain changes can have a negative impact on the driving experience in terms of noise/vibration. Read quite a few reports from people fitting poly diff mounts and stuff like that, then complaining about the severe whines and vibrations.

It's something I'll need to balance as I go, it may be that for some changes I opt to simply change for brand new OEM bushes to shave 8 years off of the "feel" of the car rather than go for hard track focussed poly stuff which will swing things too far the other way. It seems like some of the big brands are offering "fast road" and "track" catalogues to offer some granularity when it comes to hardening things up.

The engine pitch mount seems to be a notorious one for cabin vibrations on most cars, not specifically the Impreza so it's one which I'll approach with caution!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AlexW

17th Jul 13 at 06:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love reading your thread.

Good that you can get decent bushes for the gear linkage, isn' there any grease suppiled with them?

Would be intersted to see the balljoints if you change them, wishbones pointing up is a problem on lots of cars.
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Jul 13 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Alex. No grease supplied, I'll gunk them up regardless, it can't hurt I guess.

I'll get some photographs of my wishbones tonight and you'll see how the balljoints change things. They're only about 10mm taller than OEM but makes quite a difference.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

17th Jul 13 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your write ups are ace. I wouldn't have the patience to write it all, I enjoy reading it though so keep going
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Jul 13 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm glad you're enjoying it, it's worth the effort if a few people find it interesting!

I mainly use the thread to write down my thoughts, I've made a fair few decisions about my car half way through writing a thread so have then re-written it accordingly

On the subject of making decisions, I think I'm going to book a track day before bolting on any more parts. My road testing isn't consistent and to really push the car would be reckless so I'll see about doing it in a controlled environment.

Wrighty pointed me in the direction of http://www.blytonpark.co.uk/ which is fairly local-ish and is a nice new track with lots of run off. I had a look around for planned open pitlane days and one site was offering a few laps of tuition for an additional £20 which I reckon would be worth far more than any more goodies from whiteline or similar!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  25    26    27    28    29    30    31  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0220160 seconds