corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » OPTIMAX - BP ULTIMATE

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author OPTIMAX - BP ULTIMATE
ed

User status: Offline
17th Sep 04 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So can you get a higher rated RON plug, or do they 'self learn'?
goldfish
Banned

17th Sep 04 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on your ECU. can't say about the GM one
Cybermonkey

18th Sep 04 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Listen, older vauxhall engines like the old 1.2 8v units, 1.4 8v's, 2.0 8v's, etc have the RON plugs inside the enine bay, probably stuck to the left facing suspension turret. These are normally 91/95RON, however, i have seen RON plugs about with 98RON configured into them. All newer models incl all 16v models have a knock sensor which adjusts to whatever RON rating the petrol is, to give a cleaner burn when there are half values to be dealt with.
Kerry

18th Sep 04 at 07:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have reason to believe shell opticrap killed my cat

oh well just means i have to get a performance exhaust system now
Cybermonkey

18th Sep 04 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by goldfish
quote:
Originally posted by Andy
quote:
Originally posted by nik
always use optimax but only for the higher octane rating. Havent noticed any better mpg (its shit whatever) but gives me peace of mind. Don't bother with ultimate as everyone prefers optimax.

Disagree with you on this one Nik. It's well know that Optimax uses a number of additives to gain it's high octane rating on top of the base fuel. There have been lots of concerns that these additives are not very stable - fresh out of the refinery Optimax does exceed 98.6 RON but there are reports that it after a while, it degrades rapidly and that its octane plummets to little more than normal unleaded. BP Ultimate on the other hand gains its higher (though not as high as Optimax) octane rating from the base fuel, which is stable. The additives it contains are there mainly for cleaning. There are a number of reports circulating of high performance engine damaged cars around, where it seems the Optimax may not have been fresh. Shell have been repeatedly asked how long they guarnatee the RON rating of Optimax once it's left the refinery but they won't answer this question.

Because there are no 'high tunrnover' Optimax filling stations nearby, I now use BP Ultimate rather than Optimax. It's a point lower RON, but it's guaranteed to hold its RON value. Peace of mind I suppose

[Edited on 17-09-2004 by Andy]

Mon is more important. both optiplop and bp have the same mon rating it's only the ron in optiplop which is higher

You are wrong, MON/PON and RON are all the same, albeit MON being SLIGHTLY more accurate, but not really worth bothering about. PON is the number used in the united states and is the combined figure or RON and MON. People go on about the shit fuel in the states, when in fact it is of the same grade, but measured differently. In fact, US fuel is of a better reassuring quality since it goes through a more complex QC. So saying the RON is higher on Optimax is wrong, since they are all the same thing, MON being Motor Octane Number Test and RON being Research Octane Number Test. Motor Octane Test gets its slghtly better accuracy due to higher test thresholds. PON stands for Pump Octane Number.

Dave
Joff

18th Sep 04 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where is the PON measured then? At the pump itself??

Cybermonkey

18th Sep 04 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no the PON is the figure given from the RON and MON together. Will be measured at the petrol companie's HQ probably
kortas

18th Sep 04 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been using the bp stuff as i dont have a local shell, and performance wise i think it makes a slight difference there is deffiantly less lag when booting the car, but deff more eco and more mpg.
goldfish
Banned

18th Sep 04 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nik
always use optimax but only for the higher octane rating. Havent noticed any better mpg (its shit whatever) but gives me peace of mind. Don't bother with ultimate as everyone prefers optimax.

Disagree with you on this one Nik. It's well know that Optimax uses a number of additives to gain it's high octane rating on top of the base fuel. There have been lots of concerns that these additives are not very stable - fresh out of the refinery Optimax does exceed 98.6 RON but there are reports that it after a while, it degrades rapidly and that its octane plummets to little more than normal unleaded. BP Ultimate on the other hand gains its higher (though not as high as Optimax) octane rating from the base fuel, which is stable. The additives it contains are there mainly for cleaning. There are a number of reports circulating of high performance engine damaged cars around, where it seems the Optimax may not have been fresh. Shell have been repeatedly asked how long they guarnatee the RON rating of Optimax once it's left the refinery but they won't answer this question.

Because there are no 'high tunrnover' Optimax filling stations nearby, I now use BP Ultimate rather than Optimax. It's a point lower RON, but it's guaranteed to hold its RON value. Peace of mind I suppose

Mon is more important. both optiplop and bp have the same mon rating it's only the ron in optiplop which is higher

You are wrong, MON/PON and RON are all the same, albeit MON being SLIGHTLY more accurate, but not really worth bothering about. PON is the number used in the united states and is the combined figure or RON and MON. People go on about the shit fuel in the states, when in fact it is of the same grade, but measured differently. In fact, US fuel is of a better reassuring quality since it goes through a more complex QC. So saying the RON is higher on Optimax is wrong, since they are all the same thing, MON being Motor Octane Number Test and RON being Research Octane Number Test. Motor Octane Test gets its slghtly better accuracy due to higher test thresholds. PON stands for Pump Octane Number.

Dave

mon and Ron are different because they are different test you numpty
Marc

18th Sep 04 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You fucking numpty.
Nath

18th Sep 04 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Afroman
quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by vader
Half the people on this site using Optimax are wasting their money in doing so.

Shut up fool.

I bet you put it in your car dont you FOOL.

A few times yes. Have you ever driven my car with and without Optimax? NO. Therefore you cannot comment on the differences.

FOOL
MoNkEy MaGiC

18th Sep 04 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone that uses Optimax or BP ultimate get more MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i use opitmax or BP ultimate in my corsa Gsi it runs better in terms of more rev freindly, and dont judder/jerk as much BUT compared to everyone else i get less miles!!!!

with normal shell unleaded i get roughly 165miles from £20, with Optimax i get roughly 140miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i only use optimax/BP ultimate once a blue moon though!!
do you think if i use it constantly my miles would increase???
Joff

18th Sep 04 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes - pick either Optimax or Ultimate and run it for about 3 tanks or more without mixing with other brands.

goldfish
Banned

18th Sep 04 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use supermarket UL. both safeway and sainsbury are supplied by Bp
Cybermonkey

18th Sep 04 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nik

Dave

mon and Ron are different because they are different test you numpty

But they both test for octane strength!!! FFS, if you have a RON rating of 98, that equates to 90MON and 94 PON, whether it be Optimax or Ultimate, MON, RON and PON are relative to each other!!! Now whos the fucking numpty
Cybermonkey

18th Sep 04 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Afroman
You fucking numpty.

Why dont you fuck off back to wherever you came from
MarkM

19th Sep 04 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have filled the MR2 up with Shell Optimax for the last two tank fulls...it HAS made a difference in the fact that it feels a lot smoother under slow acceleration...not as jumpy...I once filled it up with 95RON unleaded and it ran so lumpy...so it does make a difference I beleive...

[Edited on 19-09-2004 by sport16v]
TRL

20th Sep 04 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, that's the real telling moment.....you go back to normal petrol, and the car just ain't quite right.

Tony
Rob H

20th Sep 04 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC
with normal shell unleaded i get roughly 165miles from £20, with Optimax i get roughly 140miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe its because your getting more Petrol for your money with Normal unleaded than Optimax . By Me its 6p a litre more expensive, so roughly you get about 2 litres less petrol for £20. You need to compare it by resetting the trip computer on a full tank, then recoring how many miles you've done on a tank, and how much youve had to put back in to fill it in, and then work it out from those values.
big eck

20th Sep 04 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the end of the day all I want to know is would either of the petrols do any damage to my engine????
Cybermonkey

20th Sep 04 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big eck, no it wont , there are isolated cases of very old cars getting decoked and going bang, but this is a very few cars against the hundreds of thousands that run great with it.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » OPTIMAX - BP ULTIMATE 22 database queries in 0.0161660 seconds