corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Car salesmen; how much you on?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car salesmen; how much you on?
Pop

User status: Offline
28th Feb 06 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry mav not been in work since the u2u ... was on a mazda course thursday/friday .. in work saturday but parts aren't open at the weekend ... my 2 days off this week are monday/tuesday so i'll find out when i get a spare minute on wednesday for you ... new 06 reg changes on wednesday though so it's mega busy
Pop

28th Feb 06 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Yeah my Astra when I try and trade it in. Audi against an A4, Jag against an XK8, Merc against a CLK, all convertibles so they're not entirely marginless, but all got told putting £2k worth of options on the car didn't make a blind bit of difference to its trade in price.

mmmm it depends who the underwriters for the quotes are... i know that when i ring for underwritten quotes they ask about leather etc, honestly couldn't tell you either way though if they'd offer more because of it
carnoisseurcraig

28th Feb 06 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its an existing customer then yes.

Of course adding leather and HID's would make a difference. Not to the price you paid for them to start with but it makes a car "more desirable" which is where people get mixed up with what there car is worth and what it will sell for.

EG. You have a Honda accord exec auto with beige interior. Worth 10k in glasses and 9500 in cap. You'd think that would be worth around the 9.5k mark on a honda forecourt.

Because its an auto and it has horrible beige leather not many traders are going to want it let alot a honda dealer. Very hard to shift on. Hence he may only get 9k.

Its the opposite in your case. You may only see 150 over and above what your cars worth because of your extras but its still worth cash and help the desirability of your car. What i would say in your case ian is that you chose decent extras that will help come resale time
Matt H

28th Feb 06 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*Mental note*

Never buy a new car
mav

28th Feb 06 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
sorry mav not been in work since the u2u ... was on a mazda course thursday/friday .. in work saturday but parts aren't open at the weekend ... my 2 days off this week are monday/tuesday so i'll find out when i get a spare minute on wednesday for you ... new 06 reg changes on wednesday though so it's mega busy

no problem mate, no rush cheers... plenty of other things on my mind...
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Feb 06 at 00:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by carnoisseurcraig
you chose decent extras that will help come resale time
I've been to all those places, and got a crap price off all of them. My experience is that it makes bugger all difference.
Pop

28th Feb 06 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i personally think that it has made your car more desirable and easier to sell ... i reckon that you would be offered slightly more than book but nothing near the £2k you paid for the extras

... also depends if you are trading it in, what you are trading it in against
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Feb 06 at 00:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that as well.

Obviously they're not worth £2k any more. Car is only booking at about 8.

As I said in the post, I was trading against cars which I wouldn't have thought were down to the wire where margins were concerned.

[Edited on 28-02-2006 by Ian]
carnoisseurcraig

28th Feb 06 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HHmm, well when im sales controller i always take this into account. But it does depend on the extras put on the car. Ive sold a customer 1500 quid worth of extras and the actually devalued the car as it look shocking when it went out.

Extras on a car that drops like a stone aint a good idea either as you never see the extra's back. I know what your saying ian and in a sense its true. Depending on the extras it may get a trader to pay that bit extra as he may think he can get a bit extra for it when he sells it on.
Pop

28th Feb 06 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i ask how you know roughly how much it's booking at? ... looking at the cars you were trading against i think there probably was a bit more leway with regards to margins
carnoisseurcraig

28th Feb 06 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I think that as well.

Obviously they're not worth £2k any more. Car is only booking at about 8.

As I said in the post, I was trading against cars which I wouldn't have thought were down to the wire where margins were concerned.

[Edited on 28-02-2006 by Ian]

in that case its garages not knowing the full potential of the car being traded in. I dont know how other garages are run but with me we get out prices from a sales controller. Me and another guy who guide and cap the cars and phone for bids on it or unless we think its a car we can sell on our own forecourt so we stand it in ourselves.

See with honda you can fit feature extras on the cars IE leather, cruise, HID. You have to go MODEL specific. So if you want cruise , HID etc you go for SPORT model. This method of selling protects residual values.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Feb 06 at 00:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vauxhall most recently valued it at 8500 against a Monaro up at 18995.

Co-incidently thats about what I owe on it, hence where I got the figure.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

28th Feb 06 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one thing ive always wondered is why car salesmen have to go and check everything over with 'the boss' before making a decision? in my opinion it looks very unproffesional and as if the salesmen are not trusted to make a decision by themselfes. Ive been in sales for a long time, owned my own sales and marketing buisness etc... i never tell the customer if i need to go and check something over with management, it loses you your credibility within seconds because the customers then know that there is sombody else making the decision and you are just a middle man.

i believe that if you gave most of the 'average' car salesmen out there some real sales training they could increase their earnings by more than double.
Tom

28th Feb 06 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You're doing nothing to dispell the myth that car salesman are sly-ass conning bastards here fellas

exactly what i was thinking before i even got to page 2
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Feb 06 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa808
one thing ive always wondered is why car salesmen have to go and check everything over with 'the boss' before making a decision?
Its a con to make you think you're getting special treatment. Half the time they're just doing a lap of the office corridor in the hope that the suspense and resultant extra special figures will seal it.
corb

28th Feb 06 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a getting them to commit thing. also makes the sales manager look like the bad guy and the salesman as someone who genuinely wants to help them.
carnoisseurcraig

28th Feb 06 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corb
its a getting them to commit thing. also makes the sales manager look like the bad guy and the salesman as someone who genuinely wants to help them.

Bang on. I always play good guy bad guy with the customers. Me and the sales manager have it to an art. If its a customer who is a bit difficult and wants a bit more then he sometimes second faces. With a bit on banter the deal is done.

Pop

28th Feb 06 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have to go ask the boss cos i genuinly don't have a clue lol ... not been in the game long
AK

28th Feb 06 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My HATES about car salesmen...

When they ask....

How much do you want for your car - No..... you should know how much my cars worth and just give me you best bloody price first time!!!

How much have you been offered so far - see above

They generally just really get me in a bad mood. Make things simple.... non of this dicking around trying to get you to buy shite etc. I've walked out of countless showrooms because i was being dealt with by a smarmy butt licker.

.... oh.... and to be told i was dreaming when in a BMW garage bye bye now.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Feb 06 at 22:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, he said you were dreaming about trading in five cars to buy one
Matt H

28th Feb 06 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^
carnoisseurcraig

28th Feb 06 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ask the above questions only when i have built up a friendship with the customer. When you have that, they tell you everything. Once they do tell ya then you have a basis to give over allowance or not.

People buy cars from people. If you dont like the salesman you wont buy the car.
AK

28th Feb 06 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
No, he said you were dreaming about trading in five cars to buy one

never even got that far

I was just looking round the showroom. He came out with the gem 'Just having a dream are we'

wanker.

My old man did this a while ago.... or got similar treatment in a saab garage first (Adrian Smith aberdeen). The guy wouldnt open the car up for him to look at or generally give him much attention. He asked for the gys name as told him something along the lines of..... 'You just made a big mistake bla bla bla'

My old man was friends with the garage owner

ended up buying a 900 turbo.

BMW garage... they wouldnt really take him on when he went in in overalls..... after a bit of hassle he ended up with a z3m....

clever guys.

AK

28th Feb 06 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as you can tell.... i have a passion for salesmen
AK

28th Feb 06 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AND!!!

They wouldnt let me test drive my old corsa sport to start with...

I was alone.... 18/19 and wanted a testdrive.... 'Nope' was all i got.

Pitched up a few days later with the old man.... kicked up a fuss... manager took us out. Bought the car.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Car salesmen; how much you on? 22 database queries in 0.0121589 seconds