corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Proof that the Civic Type R is nothing more than a marketing ploy

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Proof that the Civic Type R is nothing more than a marketing ploy
mwg

User status: Offline
20th Apr 07 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not strictly true though is it. MK5 Golf GTi is better than the MK4 GTi...
Rob H

20th Apr 07 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There really are some deluded people in this board .

End of the day Honda are here to make money - they spend thousands on market research and produce a model to meet their research, or a comprimise between a buisness descision and their results.

As for "stripped out cars", their are no people that make them to my knowledge, especially not in this class anyway. Oh, and what exactly do you want them to take out? On the standard Type-R there aren't particularly loads of luxuries anway, and those that are present won't make much impact if you remove them. If you compare the spec of the civics to the other cars in this category, it's fairly basic in comparison, so they've still not just given in to the market demands.

People seem to hapily compare cars to those of old and slate them for it. Yes it'd be great for cars to keep getting quicker and more powerful, but sadly the mass market doesn't agree, and neither do the EU. In the past 10 years the increase in legislation cars have to pass has gone mental, so you just can't make cars like they used too.

Put simply, times have moved on, and you can't make a light car anymore - that's not really Hondas fault, so they've made the best comprimise they can .
Rachel H

20th Apr 07 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
Thats not strictly true though is it. MK5 Golf GTi is better than the MK4 GTi...

Just...
Steve
Premium Member

20th Apr 07 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i agree they deffo improved on the later models
Steve
Premium Member

20th Apr 07 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rachel H
quote:

Just...

mk5 gti better than astrea vxr tbh
Marc

20th Apr 07 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good in white and and I'm glad they've put a proper tail pipe on it! Not keen on the roof scoop though
Welsh Dan

20th Apr 07 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
As for "stripped out cars", their are no people that make them to my knowledge, especially not in this class anyway. Oh, and what exactly do you want them to take out? On the standard Type-R there aren't particularly loads of luxuries anway, and those that are present won't make much impact if you remove them.

What about the Clio Cup then? Thats more basic than the boggo 182. The older Type Rs had thinner windscreens than the normal ones, less sound deadening etc. The Type R N1s, which were the even more hardcore ones, didn't have leccy windows etc.
Robin
Premium Member

20th Apr 07 at 20:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I blame Richard Hammond.

Since he said the mesh gear gaiter in the NSX-R was 'going too far' they've gone downhill.
Rob H

20th Apr 07 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
What about the Clio Cup then? Thats more basic than the boggo 182. The older Type Rs had thinner windscreens than the normal ones, less sound deadening etc. The Type R N1s, which were the even more hardcore ones, didn't have leccy windows etc.

The Clio cups a smaller car to start with as it's a super mini, not a medium sized hatch. Even still the weight savings between it and the standard ones were minimal, and hence so were the performance differences. they did however sell well, but i think part of that was due to the reduced price tag over the standard 182.

A thing to consider is that as the years have progressed, the extras, or omissions of the old type R have already been factored into the standard cars i.e less sound deadening by engineering a good chassis and engine to start with, rather than masking it, or having an already slim windscreen to save weight to drive down fuel economy etc.

Oh and on top of all that, they were about 300kg lighter than the new civic, only 15bhp down.... but still slower .
Welsh Dan

20th Apr 07 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fairness, the Civic and the Clio were originally in the same class. Its only now that its got a bit lardier that its effectively in the Megane's class
Rob H

20th Apr 07 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EK9 civic probably was, but wouldn't put the EP3 in the same class as a Clio .
Welsh Dan

20th Apr 07 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EK, EG were definitely in the same class. EP got a bit lardy and its gone to pot now.
Rob H

20th Apr 07 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
EG were definitely in the same class

Look it up - even the three door is as big as a 5 door megane
AdiSRI

20th Apr 07 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DC5 was the last of hondas proper Type-R's, its still raw compared with virtually every single other car on the roads.

Not many production cars have NO sound deadner, a LOT of bracing (much more than any road car i have ever seen), and things such as a parcel shelf as an optional extra!

Also comes with the LSD that none of the less capable FWD cars come with.

Have to agree tho, this 'review' of the RR is a load of trash if honda do make a RR version it wont resemble that at all, certainly not with 260bhp, that gearbox and the scoops etc..., just wont happen!
Robin
Premium Member

20th Apr 07 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
EG were definitely in the same class

Look it up - even the three door is as big as a 5 door megane

There is no way an EG Civic is as big as a 5 door Megane.

Not a chance.
Robin
Premium Member

20th Apr 07 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Length 4080 mm
Width 1695 mm
Height 1345 mm
Weight 1080 kg

Length 4209 mm
Width 1777 mm
Height 1457 mm
Weight 1175 kg

Fair difference there.
Rob H

20th Apr 07 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
DC5 was the last of hondas proper Type-R's, its still raw compared with virtually every single other car on the roads.

Not many production cars have NO sound deadner, a LOT of bracing (much more than any road car i have ever seen), and things such as a parcel shelf as an optional extra!

Was also a Jap only car - most likely because there wasn't a particularly big market in this country, or at least not enough to justify bringing it over here, otherwise they would have!
bubble

20th Apr 07 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Was also a Jap only car - most likely because there wasn't a particularly big market in this country, or at least not enough to justify bringing it over here, otherwise they would have!

i was told by salesmen in the crewe honda garage that nearly everyday people ring up asking for dc5's-so they now import them, get em sva'd and sell them. usually 4-5 in at one time.

i test drove on just after xmas, and fuck me what a drive. deffo having one of these at some point.
rallycross

20th Apr 07 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a few Integra Type R's ad they are (were) fantastic cars. The new ones do not compare.

Re the point above, I've also got a Clio 182 Cup at the moment, and its nowhere near as good as car as the Integra, ok its newer and it has more torque hence is easier to be a bit quicker in traffic, but overall it is no where near as good.

Re the Civic Type R, the 01-06 version was good, just not as good as the Integra.
rallycross

20th Apr 07 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here it is.
wont sell it, collectors car, 2000 W uk car with fsh and aircon.

message to you lot, when you think of selling your Corsa try one of these before you buy anything else!

Rob H

20th Apr 07 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Length 4080 mm
Width 1695 mm
Height 1345 mm
Weight 1080 kg

Length 4209 mm
Width 1777 mm
Height 1457 mm
Weight 1175 kg

Fair difference there.

I pulled up a random 5 door megane from between 96-02 and there was about 30mm dif in length, 10 in width, and the civic weighed more .
Nismo

20th Apr 07 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Not True the NSX-R was produced up untill 06. This was Honda's ast real car!

mwg

21st Apr 07 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rallycross
here it is.
wont sell it, collectors car, 2000 W uk car with fsh and aircon.

message to you lot, when you think of selling your Corsa try one of these before you buy anything else!

I like them but not the sort of car I'm after next
Steve
Premium Member

21st Apr 07 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes he wants to get up hills
SportBoy

21st Apr 07 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Proof that the Civic Type R is nothing more than a marketing ploy 22 database queries in 0.0169561 seconds