corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Intresting find about "lightweight" hot hatches

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Intresting find about "lightweight" hot hatches
jr

User status: Offline
26th Feb 08 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
Originally posted by broster
quote:
Originally posted by jr
its too heavy, the end

so is a c20xe.......

fuck who said that

the one who hasnt got enough £££ for a 200bhp 1.6 and a clio ASWELL

i am aiming for 230BHP actually!

clio was cheap......... honest

mwg

26th Feb 08 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give me the full fat version any day. Rather have a few more creature comforts and get to work a few tenths of a second slower...
broster
Premium Member

26th Feb 08 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the misses didnt have a bigger better car i think i would have bought a full fat clio over the cup, but the cup ticked all the right boxes when there is something better to drive on motorways
Fad

26th Feb 08 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FF are ok on the motorway if you like cruising at 5k doing only 80
Warren G

26th Feb 08 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quite light for a new car with all safety extras and a/c etc etc

put mine on the weight bridge other day 970kg, running ful trim just minus a/c

Robin
Premium Member

26th Feb 08 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
You can only make a car so light before 1) it becomes unsafe 2) before it becomes impractical.

Lack of the following;

Aircon
CD player
Electric windows
Electric mirrors
Sunroof
Electric seats
Side airbags
Traction control

doesn't make the car impractical, or even unsafe, the problem is, manufacturers are scared of making a car which they think won't sell, "the public" won't buy a car without these, apparently.

[Edited on 26-02-2008 by Robin]
Daimo B

27th Feb 08 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
You can only make a car so light before 1) it becomes unsafe 2) before it becomes impractical.

Lack of the following;

Aircon
CD player
Electric windows
Electric mirrors
Sunroof
Electric seats
Side airbags
Traction control

doesn't make the car impractical, or even unsafe, the problem is, manufacturers are scared of making a car which they think won't sell, "the public" won't buy a car without these, apparently.

[Edited on 26-02-2008 by Robin]

Most wont no.

Its only a small market of people who would buy cars like this. And people who want dedicated track cars will buy a dedicated track car really.

Small Market or Big Market for profit? Not really a hard choice for the manufactures.
SVM 286

29th Feb 08 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve X16XE
So what does yours weigh then jim?

744kg Steve.

Not including me of course.
SVM 286

29th Feb 08 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt H
I'd have specced a coal fire in mine
Robbo

29th Feb 08 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:

744kg Steve.

So 76,678,045kg with you then Jimbo
Robin
Premium Member

29th Feb 08 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Most wont no.

Its only a small market of people who would buy cars like this. And people who want dedicated track cars will buy a dedicated track car really.

Small Market or Big Market for profit? Not really a hard choice for the manufactures.

How many people bought the PROPER Civic Type R in Japan?
How many people chose a Clio 'cup' over a normal Renaultsport.
How many people will pay less money for the new Clio Cup instead of spending £1500 more and getting a slower car with a slightly better dash texture?

I think you'd be surprised at how many people would rather have the lightness than the creature comforts.

Most people who buy little sporty hatchbacks either have another car, or are young.

Both those types of people tend not to care about how their dash feels.

The manufacturers would make a lot more money by putting less stuff in the cars and selling them for less cash, £1500 less for a car which costs £2000 less to assemble in parts is an obvious way to make more money.

It's not about dedicated track cars, look at the 911 GT3 RS, you can use that on the road, every day, or the track. People pay more money for that too FFS if they'd dropped the price to below that of the normal 911 with the same engine, they'd have sold shitloads more.
burgess

29th Feb 08 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my astra gte track slag is supposed to be sub 800
need it on a wiegh bridge to confirm this but it has been made impractical to use in winter with no heater matrix
Daimo B

1st Mar 08 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Most wont no.

How many people bought the PROPER Civic Type R in Japan?
How many people chose a Clio 'cup' over a normal Renaultsport.
How many people will pay less money for the new Clio Cup instead of spending £1500 more and getting a slower car with a slightly better dash texture?

I think you'd be surprised at how many people would rather have the lightness than the creature comforts.

Most people who buy little sporty hatchbacks either have another car, or are young.

Both those types of people tend not to care about how their dash feels.

The manufacturers would make a lot more money by putting less stuff in the cars and selling them for less cash, £1500 less for a car which costs £2000 less to assemble in parts is an obvious way to make more money.

It's not about dedicated track cars, look at the 911 GT3 RS, you can use that on the road, every day, or the track. People pay more money for that too FFS if they'd dropped the price to below that of the normal 911 with the same engine, they'd have sold shitloads more.

FAR less that bought the normal Civic Type R with all the goodies
Not as many by far as bought the normal Clio Sport.
Maybe the younger people will yes.

Sorry, your looking at this as a wippersnappers perspective and not that of a business. It will go with the masses as thats what will make them more money.

Suprised you used those examples at all tbh.... They all prove my point.

Your into cars, im into cars, but 90% of people on the road arn't. They want something nippy, something to brag to their friends about (more the younger lot) and not compromise comfort. You need to look at it from a normal persons perspective and not that of a car enthusiast.

RE the 911, I very very very much doubt so. Prehapes you need a trip to the city or any large town or business area to see that its a different world and the upper class want to look good, go fast, but not loose any daily driveabilty, and thats WHY porsches sell SO well as they can be used and abused and not fail.
Gezza

1st Mar 08 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wonder what my v6 corsa wieghs then....

my scooby was 1240kg
Robin
Premium Member

1st Mar 08 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wippersnapper

You're not exactly ancient yourself, don't belittle me.
Tex

1st Mar 08 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The minimal weight saving seems to figure. I had a feeling an E46 BMW M3 CSL would be extremely light.

E46 M3 - 1495 kg
M3 CSL - 1460 kg

Pretty shocking difference if you ask me. And on the CSL you get nothing luxurious.

The 1495kg figure is for a completely factory standard E46 M3 - no optional extras and no fuel.

In that state the CSL is actually 1385kg, which gives you the 110kg saving that BMW quoted in the marketing. Most UK CSL will be nearer to your figure though, as they have optional extras such as Aircon and Xenon headlights. Mine came in at 1430kg (has A/C and Xenons, and had some fuel too) when we plonked it on the scales
SVM 286

2nd Mar 08 at 03:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:

744kg Steve.

So 76,678,045kg with you then Jimbo

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Intresting find about "lightweight" hot hatches 22 database queries in 0.4144571 seconds