corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fuel Prices - where should they 'draw the line'?

Poll: Fuel Prices - where should they 'draw the line'?
sub £1 pl 65 (61.32%)
£1.00-£1.10 pl 18 (16.98%)
£1.10-£1.20pl 8 (7.55%)
£1.20-£1.30pl 3 (2.83%)
£1.30-£1.40pl 2 (1.89%)
£1.40-£1.50pl 1 (0.94%)
£1.50+ 9 (8.49%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fuel Prices - where should they 'draw the line'?
Robbo

User status: Offline
17th Jun 08 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres no denying that oil is harder to get to but that doesnt impact the cost from $8 a barrel in 2000 to the $140 it is today...
John

17th Jun 08 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even with all the extra costs it should only costs about $30 a barrel to extract.
Colin

17th Jun 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Thats what they'd like you to think.

Ok then
Hammer

17th Jun 08 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Futures market is the sole reason really like Robbo said, without it the oil price would sit at a natural level dictated by basic economics and we wouldn't have all this carry on we're going through just now.
Ben G

17th Jun 08 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:

Ok then

it really is colin. none of us can actually see the oil in the earth so therefore we have no clue really.

they can make up whatever they want and when oil doesn't run out within the set period, suddenly they will have found a new reservoir to extract.

Colin

17th Jun 08 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Even with all the extra costs it should only costs about $30 a barrel to extract.

Do you know how much it costs to carry out seismic surveys, carry out Exploration test wells, build a rig, all the equipment it carries, get some mugs to opperate it, then all the downstream parts of actually turning it into petrol.

The 1st 2 steps there could cost.....£5M easilly, at that stage theres not even any guarantee that it will be used as a production well.

Its a Multi Billion pound industry, for the £13Billion or whatever Shell declaired as worldwide profits the spent hundreds or billions to make that profit. Thats why a barrel of crude costs what it does.
John

17th Jun 08 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the current costs, it should cost about $30 a barrel to extract, thats the facts, it's not $130
Colin

17th Jun 08 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:

Ok then

it really is colin. none of us can actually see the oil in the earth so therefore we have no clue really.

they can make up whatever they want and when oil doesn't run out within the set period, suddenly they will have found a new reservoir to extract.

No you cant see under the ground but thats what Geologists do using reflection seismology, so they have a fairly good idea of where the oil is & how much.
Ben G

17th Jun 08 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they have an idea, but they can say anything to make it more dramatic and up the prices.
Colin

17th Jun 08 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
they have an idea, but they can say anything to make it more dramatic and up the prices.

Well I know what I believe.

Oil companies got to make a profit, proportional to their operations costs, just like any other company you know. Otherwise id be out of a job & no one would have any petrol for their motors Maybe the world would be a happier place
Ben G

17th Jun 08 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i understand about making a profit.

but theres a difference between making the same amount of profit continuously (sp) and being greedy and costing the same amount to produce but increasing the sale price.
Hammer

17th Jun 08 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's plenty of oil left, the reason the oil companies don't tell you that is the minute it's in the public domain the government will tax them more.

The proven reserves on most fields including the most iconic 'forties' field in the North Sea are all actually rising rather than falling. BBC Scotland documentary a couple of weeks ago detailed it.
Colin

17th Jun 08 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
The proven reserves on most fields including the most iconic 'forties' field in the North Sea are all actually rising rather than falling. BBC Scotland documentary a couple of weeks ago detailed it.

Then why are the numbers Barrels/day showing differently & why are the likes of BP/Shell/Total etc (Bigger players) selling off North Sea assets to the likes of Woodgroup/Petroplus/PSN ('fluffers' collect all the drips) & all their onshore assets aswell, there all pretty much owned & ran by smaller companies now. Why if the revenues not there would these big companies pull out?

The North Sea is still got many pockets of oil but it is in decline, all the future oils in deep sea & northern north sea area's thats a bit more dificult to drill.
Colin

17th Jun 08 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeah i understand about making a profit.

but theres a difference between making the same amount of profit continuously (sp) and being greedy and costing the same amount to produce but increasing the sale price.

It is costing them more to produce though

Your a plumber Yeah? What do you do when the price of copper goes up, or Stelrad decide to stick another 20% onto the cost of their Rad's? Pass it onto the punter....of course.
Hammer

17th Jun 08 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7435016.stm

That's a condensed text version of what the reporter said basically.

The big boys are selling up to hungry more aggressive companies that are shooting out seismic surveys and drilling new wells.
Mark.W

17th Jun 08 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1 PL should be the acceptable price
Andrew

17th Jun 08 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm happy to pay £1 a littre.

I use my car to commute, without it i can't get to work or even work. As i've said in recent weeks, i soon won't be able to afford to get to work.

Today i never had anything to eat to save a few quid and there's no food in at my flat. Just about had enough..
Daveskater
Premium Member

17th Jun 08 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's quite an extreme mate, I don't think the Govt. realize people are in that sort of situation.

If I get this new job then I will need to have to be able to run my car, because I'd be on a 3-weekly callout rota. One of the requirements for the job is you have to have a license so that you can do the callouts.

I reckon £1 would be an alright price, but anything less than what it is now would be good. As somebody said a page or two back, though, petrol/oil isn't something where the buyer controls the cost. Because we need it, we will pay what we have to to get it.

I also like all the "That's what they want you to think" conspiracy posts going on

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Mark.W

17th Jun 08 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was told it cost more to make petrol than it is to make diesel and petrol is cheaper than diesel.
John

17th Jun 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They aren't conspiracy dave, they are fact.
Colin

17th Jun 08 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I'm happy to pay £1 a littre.

I use my car to commute, without it i can't get to work or even work. As i've said in recent weeks, i soon won't be able to afford to get to work.

Today i never had anything to eat to save a few quid and there's no food in at my flat. Just about had enough..

Obvious answer to that is buy a cheaper car!?
Ash_EP3

17th Jun 08 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think we are fooked either way tbh, I dread to imagine how much fuel these guys use:
- Airlines
- Transport Companies (hauliers)
- MotorSport (F1, Moto GP WRC etc)
- Large Industial Companies

When the fuel supply runs out they simply can't stop? - these major users should learn to cut down

As for us "the average consumer" we have alternative ways to commute (may not be easy for some but tis true)
- Public Transport
- On foot
- Push bike etc

[Edited on 17-06-2008 by S214_UPP]
pow
Premium Member

17th Jun 08 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm happy to pay £1 a litre.
pow
Premium Member

17th Jun 08 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And tbh, at the end of the day i'm not going to get involved with this argument of "we lived without". We need to sort out the big companies, and the countries like China first, then move onto the public. And the way of working with the public is NOT to slap the price up sky high, but to qork with them, incentive to buy alternative fuel cars, encourage manufauters to make cars that run on biodiesel/biofuels.
lil_g

17th Jun 08 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Should be less than a quid.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fuel Prices - where should they 'draw the line'? 23 database queries in 0.2775369 seconds