corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who pay others to do conversions

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author People who pay others to do conversions
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th May 09 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe hes refering to getting fucked by the snap on man cause they charge proper money for tools.
richc

27th May 09 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
snap on man

Is it only us lot them call them strap on for fun?
johnboi xe

27th May 09 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in the middle of a putting a c20xe into a gsi now with a mate.Never done a conversion before, was going to pay for it to be done but i thought i might aswell have a go. Everyone starts somewhere i guess, and learn things as u go.
richc

27th May 09 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
maybe hes refering to getting fucked by the snap on man cause they charge proper money for tools.

Yes indeed

He tells me he thinks he has spent about £2000 on tools and gray paul buy him things aswell
andy1868

27th May 09 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah give it a go yourself, if you fuck it up you can always get someone else to sort if for you in the end
willay
Premium Member

27th May 09 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2k is nothing mate, I spent near enough £300 quid on specials and got a 3ton trolley jack and a set of screwdrivers. Gutted
richc

27th May 09 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
2k is nothing mate, I spent near enough £300 quid on specials and got a 3ton trolley jack and a set of screwdrivers. Gutted

I mean his personal money, with gray paul funding on top, plus what he has at home in his garage. Got another strap on set there! (but hasnt got 18v buzz gun and things to that extent)

Im sure he paid nearly 300 for a torque wrench aswell. Tightens to about 384,000 nm
willay
Premium Member

27th May 09 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes I heard about the price of the torque wrench over the weekend and I almost did a little poo, was careful with that one
Jambo

27th May 09 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ollie, its the same watchin Jamie work. Just looks at a car hes never seen before and takes a 30sec look and thats it, knows where everything goes etc.

BMW workshop man quotes alternator at 1hr 30mins, took him about 25mins after looking at the engine and alternator for about 30seconds.

Mind boggling. I could of done it, but would of taken me at least 3hrs if not longer, and i probably would of damaged my car.

richc

27th May 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yes I heard about the price of the torque wrench over the weekend and I almost did a little poo, was careful with that one

It would of got bigger if you had dropped it

Tbf, i think people just like having a big red box with the words snap on plasterd over it, as every full blooded male things strap on instantly and sniggers
richc

27th May 09 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Ollie, its the same watchin Jamie work. Just looks at a car hes never seen before and takes a 30sec look and thats it, knows where everything goes etc.

BMW workshop man quotes alternator at 1hr 30mins, took him about 25mins after looking at the engine and alternator for about 30seconds.

Mind boggling. I could of done it, but would of taken me at least 3hrs if not longer, and i probably would of damaged my car.

TBH jambo, they were thinking business side of things. They think well its a M serious, its worth some money, the owners are snobs and will only pay us to do it...

BMW touch £100 an hour, so they want to make as much of a job as possible. They no they can do it quicker. He is covering his back for tea breaks

My cars never touches a garage. Its cheaper for me, quicker, i can watch whats going on, no silly test drives etc!

Saying that, he never touches his car.

'Its under warrenty, im not doing it'
3lfz

27th May 09 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was to do a conversion, I'd love to give it a go myself, know nothing about engines really, but since I got my car, I've learnt alot more in that 6 months. One day I think I'll be able to do it. Not really an option for me at the moment, due to insurance and money.
Richardhhha

27th May 09 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My problem was had no garage or drive and if you did anything other than changing a set of pads where i used to live the council would come take your car.. And fine you.. Now tho i have a garage and im doing all my accedent damage and going to blue print a xe and put it in there.. Fun fun fun
Adam_B

27th May 09 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strap on, quality

[Edited on 27-05-2009 by Adam_B]
richc

27th May 09 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
Strap on, quality

I thought it was common amoungst you petrol heads.
Ian W

27th May 09 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watched my mate do a conversion on a Corsa and thought i'd have a crack myself. I'd taken engines out but never put one back in

Was in and running in a weekend

Im happy to work on Corsas, my pug etc but paid to get the clutch and brake lines done on my Audi, to complicated for me tbh
Iain M

27th May 09 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because i don't know my arese from my elbow where engines are concerned, Think i am getting better now tho

Seriously tho, wanted my xe doing proper so paid someone. Also don't have tools or space, but that shall change when i get my new house as we have a garage. But i still won't be doing a conversion
Twiggy

27th May 09 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can take it apart but cant put it back together again

I tuned a 30min rear brake pad change into an all day task and brake fluid everywhere
Graham88

27th May 09 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have a go at anything myself. I've always done work myself, only time I haven't is when I needed to change my engine in my MK6 Fiesta as I needed it back asap, my mate did it in a day, I couldn't have managed that

Couple of years back I had to get my Dad to help me show how to jack a car up and get a wheel off, since then I've changed an engine in a Corsa, changed an engine in a motorbike and stripped that engine down and rebuilt it, now building an XE, no job really I'm afraid to do just cause I bought some tools and evaluate it before I start undoing things.

Suspension is a doddle, plus it's more enjoyable doing stuff yourself!

[Edited on 27-05-2009 by Graham88]
K2NY-G

27th May 09 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My knowledge and experience before starting on my ibiza was zero... could'nt even do an oil change.

Now with the help of my mate i have learned so much and my confidence has grew, at the moment the engine's in bits along with the air con removed etc
jr

27th May 09 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
Strap on, quality

I thought it was common amoungst you petrol heads.

it is, well i thought it was

strap on wednesday is well known in these parts
john_c20xe

27th May 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He tells me he thinks he has spent about £2000 on tools and gray paul buy him things aswell

he hasnt got many tools then if they are from snap on,
ive spent about £700 so far and my little gay roll cab and top box isn't even full up.

there is an older guy at out dealership with reciepts of £38,000 worth of tools, doesnt mean he knowes what hes doing but if ever anyone gets stuck in a situation, you know he will have the tool to sort it out!
quite good for me and bad for him really because if anything happened at our work place (fire ect) each persons tools are insured for 10k each so i will be well off

as for the conversions.. i bought a redtop corsa couple years ago was the worst decision i made everything was a bodge! so this time im doing my let conversion on my own.
mark2009

27th May 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had no idea how to get my engine out untill a mate showed me but it was fun and you do learn alot. but will rember this for a long time

Torsa g

27th May 09 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do all my own engine changes and rebuilds and i do all my mates, i also do all my own spraying to, my car has been done all on my own with no help from anyone apart from abit of man power for shifting engines about,

tbh it does my head in sometimes when people have these features and praises of how nice there car is when all theyve got is cheque book, but i know when people say are your cars ace ect i can take full credit for it and its quite rewarding.

Theres not alot of people that can actually say that theyve done there own car in every aspect but i can, the way i learnt was to just get stuck in and not be a lazy bastard but another reason why i had to do it is because i just couldnt simply afford to pay out for other people to do it,

The only thing i still lack tho is the space and the facilities to spray to a higher standard with out flating and polishing due to no spray booth!

[Edited on 27-05-2009 by Torsa g]
RCoughtrie

27th May 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glady get the cheque book out on everything.

If i did it myself i would brake it or do it wrong... much easyer to go paint someones house for a few days and use the cash to buy the engine and get it fitted right, no fuck ups no hassle suits me perfect always has always will.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who pay others to do conversions 22 database queries in 0.0201890 seconds