corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Space piccy game

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Space piccy game
Daimo B

User status: Offline
14th Aug 09 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR

Yeh but how do they even measure distance when looking at objects so far away?

I mean when measuring in 'light years' for instance, when they are looking through a telescope how can they tell how many 'light years' something is away....

Complex stuff if you ask me

But the zoom and magnifactionof the lense.

Don't forget, the "photo" is probably 1 of about 10,000 bits of data they get from the telescopes. They mainly measure particals, what the dust clouds are made up of, infra-red, and a hole host of things they study I couldn't have the first clue on understanding. They do a LOT of work from the images.

Most pictures that come out of the telescopes are usually not colour photos.
Daimo B

14th Aug 09 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, well timed shot....

[Edited on 14-08-2009 by VXR]
Daimo B

14th Aug 09 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

And actually go into space, and realise that what we can see down from earth is actually 1/100000000000 of the actual stars you can see when your up there!!!!

See this shot for example.

Daimo B

14th Aug 09 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, this is the site I view every single day. Some amazing shots.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

FruitBooTeR

14th Aug 09 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow thats well cool!

Is it the same part of sky just at a different time, or is it from in space and just added to the pik?
FruitBooTeR

14th Aug 09 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actualy come to think of it it cant be the same can it as they look like galaxys in the pik
John

14th Aug 09 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get shots like that from earth with a camera and a mount that follows the rotation.
Daimo B

14th Aug 09 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
Wow thats well cool!

Is it the same part of sky just at a different time, or is it from in space and just added to the pik?

Intricate, glowing nebulae that shine in planet Earth's night sky are beautiful to look at in deep images made with telescopes and sensitive cameras. But they are faint and otherwise invisible to the naked-eye. That makes their relative location and extent on the sky difficult to appreciate. So, consider this impressive composite image of a wide region of the northern winter sky. With a total exposure time of 40 hours, the painstaking mosaic presents a nebula-rich expanse known as the Orion-Eridanus Superbubble above a house in suburban Boston, USA. Within the wide and deep view are nebulae more often seen in narrower views, including the Great Orion Nebula, the Rosette Nebula, the Seagull Nebula, the California Nebula, and Barnard's Loop. The familiar constellation of Orion itself is just above the foreground house. Brightest star Sirius is left of the roof, and the recognizable Pleiades star cluster is above the tree at the right. A version of the big picture that includes simple constellation guidelines is available here.

Basically, its whats up there, its just due to light pollution, gasses in the sky etc, we can't see so much down here.

I've seen our milky way though in a very very quiet part of france which was dark all around. You could see our milky way belt going from lower left to upper right of the night sky. Looked like a huge areoplane flume out the back, but much MUCh larger, and with stars in it. Amamzing sight!

I gotta go see the northen lights during my lifetime as well!!!!
sand-eel

14th Aug 09 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hundreds of billions of galaxys with millions of stars in each
sand-eel

14th Aug 09 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently there is 2.5x10^89odd particles in the universe, particles as in proton, electrons etc thats....

250000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 particles
Daimo B

14th Aug 09 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And the worlds more worried about war, and owning land than trying to put resources into finding out whats out there more.

Mad aint it....
DannyB
Premium Member

14th Aug 09 at 17:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are your views on other lifeforms similar to ourselves, millions/billions of light years away. I think there must be something else out there somewhere tbh, very weird when you take the time to really think about it.

[Edited on 14-08-2009 by DannyB]
John

14th Aug 09 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are 2 ways to think about it, either we are extremely unique and the odds of another planet like ours that can support life existing are extremely small, or the theory that it's not that difficult and there are so many places it could happen.

Both have convincing arguments.

I'm going for there are loads out there.

Partly because, although amazing in the scope of the solar system, life here isn't that amazing in the scope of the time and distances of the universe and partly because I like Star Trek
DannyB
Premium Member

14th Aug 09 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find it strange to think that, if there is places similar to earth; what is it like, their existance, technology, inventions etc etc. We have amazing things on this earth but there might be other places that are far superior to us.
Cosmo

14th Aug 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
and the odds of another planet like ours that can support life

See that annoys me, as its only based on a planet that could support life as we know it. Their is nothing to suggest its not possible for a totally different life form from what we know to survive on a foreign planet totally different to our own.
sand-eel

14th Aug 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true there could be things that swim in boiling acid.
Think this though, an intelligent being that could be millions of years ahead technology will be "out of this world"
3lfz

14th Aug 09 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sand-eel

14th Aug 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you would also be dead if you got your cock out.
John

14th Aug 09 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by John
and the odds of another planet like ours that can support life

See that annoys me, as its only based on a planet that could support life as we know it. Their is nothing to suggest its not possible for a totally different life form from what we know to survive on a foreign planet totally different to our own.

I agree.

From my limited understanding of what the scientists understand, to have anything even remotely close to what we currently consider life there have to be certain conditions, even if that life isn't exactly like on earth.

Afaik this is what the talk of odds is based on.
Cosmo

14th Aug 09 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I know they base it on similar attributes to our own (i.e. water and oxygen is needed iirc). But that totally ignores that their could be an alien life out there that can breath (if they even have to breath) methane and shits oxygen - for example!
John

14th Aug 09 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that's taken into account, even then there are still some pre-requisites.

There's a good chance I've not got it correctly and an even bigger chance there could be something totally different out there anyway.
Cosmo

14th Aug 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whatever is out there, I know they'll be less advanced than me anyway.
Daimo B

14th Aug 09 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.break.com/index/the-ultra-deep-field-in-3d.html
sand-eel

14th Aug 09 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats been posted.

Also people thought you needed sunlight for life, thats been proven wrong too.
Wrighty

11th Sep 09 at 04:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Two pics from the upgraded hubble telescope

I wonder what sort of pictures the new space telescope will bring when thats launched!

[Edited on 11-09-2009 by Wrighty]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Space piccy game 22 database queries in 0.0185628 seconds