corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » looking into getting a new car, Astra Gsi 2l turbo around 2003?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author looking into getting a new car, Astra Gsi 2l turbo around 2003?
Fad

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 10 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antmashed
quote:
Originally posted by Warren G
cant comment on the civic

but the astra, very thirty, find myself averaging 25ish mpg, after a few maybe 140+ stints and driving on motorways at 60mph to get mpg back up

theres something wrong with mine, standard it was slow, lacked boost/pick up/anything - then i went in antz standard one, power delivery is nice

i think iv got some strange turbo/actutor issue

fixed?

He is currently fixing it with a hammer
Rob B

23rd Feb 10 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steven_r2008
quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
quote:
Originally posted by Green Thing
Out of interest Rob, what mod's on the CTR would you need to get to 250bhp?

RBC inlet manifold, DC sport/Buddyclub manifold, 2.5" system/3" system, Some form of intake and hondata management.

and out of interest, how much would all of that cost . because my betting is after spending all of that on a ctr to get to 250bhp, you could map the gsi, sort the suspension out and have quite a decent straight line rocket that will go round corners reasonably enough, and still have money to spare (considering getting a race ecu for a ctr costs around £800 and only makes it see around 20 odd bhp increase). tbh the gsi looks absolutely gorgeous, alot rarer than the ctr, and round here about 75% of the ctr's are owned by chavs. oh yeah, and the noise from a gsi with a Miltek system is also lovely

the only up-side i see to the ctr are, out of the box handling heaven, the noise at the higher end, and you will get to see the rear end of a gsi when you hit a hill

You can never improve upon a flawed chassis, regardless of what you do, especially one with an out of date suspension system to match. You can fit ARB's, coilovers and add some camber, but it will still understeer.

I suppose it's preference, but ask most who have owned a Gsi and they'll tell you it was bland and boring. yes you could get an astra to about 270 Bhp and have an ARB and coilovers. But what people fail to realise is that 270 bhp will tail off quite quickly and the massive dose of torque is although a very good feeling will induce understeer even stronger than before.

I presume you've owned a CTR to comment on the torque, if you haven't and you have rose tinted glasses i think you'll find the create more torque than most 2.0 N/A Cars.

.dean.

23rd Feb 10 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gsi + diff! il admit it understeers like mad love mine to bits tho
DizzyRebel

23rd Feb 10 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The EP CTR's are hardly the pinnacle of handling anyway, i dont know why people seem to stress they are brilliant handling cars when they are just a transverse FWD hatch with torsion beam rear suspension. Any hatch with that layout (civic, astra, clio, 106, saxo, corsa to name but a few) will all handle pretty much the same once the weight distribution and geometry are all optimised for track driving.

If you want a good handling FWD car you need to buy one with independant rear suspension, so fiesta xr2i, ek civic vti, ITR are all capable of handling levels not possible in the list above.

Ive driven a gsi and a ctr, ctr feels more nimble out the box, but is annoying as a daily driver. astra is a better daily driver but requires more modification to make it a worthy trackday warrior. But in all honesty 99% of the time your car is driven on the road and not the track, so the time it gets round the 'ring shouldnt be a major factor when buying a car.
DizzyRebel

23rd Feb 10 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

RBC inlet manifold, DC sport/Buddyclub manifold, 2.5" system/3" system, Some form of intake and hondata management.

and out of interest, how much would all of that cost . because my betting is after spending all of that on a ctr to get to 250bhp, you could map the gsi, sort the suspension out and have quite a decent straight line rocket that will go round corners reasonably enough, and still have money to spare (considering getting a race ecu for a ctr costs around £800 and only makes it see around 20 odd bhp increase). tbh the gsi looks absolutely gorgeous, alot rarer than the ctr, and round here about 75% of the ctr's are owned by chavs. oh yeah, and the noise from a gsi with a Miltek system is also lovely

the only up-side i see to the ctr are, out of the box handling heaven, the noise at the higher end, and you will get to see the rear end of a gsi when you hit a hill

You can never improve upon a flawed chassis, regardless of what you do, especially one with an out of date suspension system to match. You can fit ARB's, coilovers and add some camber, but it will still understeer.

I suppose it's preference, but ask most who have owned a Gsi and they'll tell you it was bland and boring. yes you could get an astra to about 270 Bhp and have an ARB and coilovers. But what people fail to realise is that 270 bhp will tail off quite quickly and the massive dose of torque is although a very good feeling will induce understeer even stronger than before.

I presume you've owned a CTR to comment on the torque, if you haven't and you have rose tinted glasses i think you'll find the create more torque than most 2.0 N/A Cars.

Its not about how much torque the engine produces, its about how its delivered. torque curve on a ctr compared to a gsi is quite frankly laughable.
andy1868

23rd Feb 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate to be a prick dizzy, but the EP3 has independant rear suspension. its the FN2 that is the torsion bar
Nic Barnes

23rd Feb 10 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate to be picky, but.....

CAN YOU ALL GO AND POST ON YOUR HONDA FORUMS INSTEAD OF HERE.
andy1868

23rd Feb 10 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flybikeslee

23rd Feb 10 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

honda smonda
LeeM

23rd Feb 10 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the more i look at civics, the less i like them.
astra definately gets my vote, i'd love one but just going to stick with the engine in my corsa for now
Warren G

23rd Feb 10 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my astra is now fixed,

far happier with how it drives now - as in power not handles (boat on wheels)

Ash_EP3

23rd Feb 10 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in exactly the same position as you mate, went from a 1.6 sport to a civic and was very impressed...

Looks: Astra (just)
Drives: Civic
Reliability: Civic?
Rob B

23rd Feb 10 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
The EP CTR's are hardly the pinnacle of handling anyway, i dont know why people seem to stress they are brilliant handling cars when they are just a transverse FWD hatch with torsion beam rear suspension. Any hatch with that layout (civic, astra, clio, 106, saxo, corsa to name but a few) will all handle pretty much the same once the weight distribution and geometry are all optimised for track driving.

If you want a good handling FWD car you need to buy one with independant rear suspension, so fiesta xr2i, ek civic vti, ITR are all capable of handling levels not possible in the list above.

Ive driven a gsi and a ctr, ctr feels more nimble out the box, but is annoying as a daily driver. astra is a better daily driver but requires more modification to make it a worthy trackday warrior. But in all honesty 99% of the time your car is driven on the road and not the track, so the time it gets round the 'ring shouldnt be a major factor when buying a car.

Erm, whilst some things you've said i agree with. This is a comparison between a Astra Gsi and a CTR. The CTR has independant rear suspension, a well thought out MacPherson strut front setup. Which means with minimal mods you can gain alot of camber, can you even get camber on the back of a Astra? Without shims...

If you want a good handling car then double wishbone all round is the way to go like the DC2 or EK9.
Rob B

23rd Feb 10 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Its not about how much torque the engine produces, its about how its delivered. torque curve on a ctr compared to a gsi is quite frankly laughable.

There is more than ample torque, the gear ratios are well designed aswell which means the "lack" of torque if you want to call it that is made far easier to live with. I really don't see the torque issue, i've never felt in mine " i need more torque "
Nic Barnes

23rd Feb 10 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about if not everybody gave a fuck about track cars and just wanted a car? is it not ok to purcase the car you personally prefer? instead of all the slagging and brand snobbery, just let people like what they like ok?

im sure there are some honda forums out there for you to sign up to.
Rob B

24th Feb 10 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
what about if not everybody gave a fuck about track cars and just wanted a car? is it not ok to purcase the car you personally prefer? instead of all the slagging and brand snobbery, just let people like what they like ok?

im sure there are some honda forums out there for you to sign up to.

I'm aware there are Honda forums, but as this thread is Astra GSi vs, CTR do you not feel comments about either car are relevent ? Kindly GTF

And how have either of my two previous comments related to track! Most people who are looking at these sort of cars are buying them because they generally enjoy a spirited drive or two, now i'm sure people would rather do that spirited drive in something nimble rather than a boat.
Nic Barnes

24th Feb 10 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Astra's are bland and boring to drive, hence why you never see one on track!

Ash_EP3

24th Feb 10 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nic

I've never noticed the difficulty with torque tbh, quite happily leave it in 5th @ 30mph 6th 35/40.... these cars still produce 140lbs/ft of torque!

In regards to differences with Type R's, the best one to go for is the Facelift Premier Edition but those are still roughly 8-9k... I went for the 30th Anni edition because it was rare (pre-facelift though). So I'd advise looking out for them!

More info on editions:
30th Anniversary
In 2003 Honda decided to celebrate 30 years of producing the Civic by offering a special edition 30th Anniversary Type-R for the EDM. The special edition features special red sports seats from world renowned seat maker Recaro, air conditioning, leather MOMO steering wheel, red carpets and door linings and privacy glass on the rear windows. 30th Anniversary models were available in Nighthawk Black, Satin Silver and Milano Red. Only 300 of these models were produced, 100 in each of the 3 colours.

Premier
In 2005 Honda introduced the Premier edition which had Recaro Trendline seats (similar to those found in the Anniversary Edition, only in red and black rather than all red), a darker shade of fabric on the rear seat centre sections, a Momo Steering Wheel, Red Carpet, "Type R" embossed into the front brake calipers and privacy glass on the rear windows. These were available in Milano Red, Nighthawk Black, Cosmic Grey and Satin Silver.

Still fairly good looking as you can see....
Rob B

24th Feb 10 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Astra's are bland and boring to drive, hence why you never see one on track!

And the rest of my comments and justifications i feel will be very helpful to the opp as it should be quite clear if he wants a comfortable cruiser the Astra will be best, if he want's something that's ok at cruising and alot of fun to drive, he should go for the CTR. The CTR also favours reliability massively.

Also - The track comment was in regards to them being bland to drive.

Interestingly, what input have you had on this thread?

[Edited on 24-02-2010 by Rob B]
Nic Barnes

24th Feb 10 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really mate. im in honda most mornings. loads of fucked type-r's in all the time.

stop being biased.
Rob B

24th Feb 10 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
not really mate. im in honda most mornings. loads of fucked type-r's in all the time.

stop being biased.

What's biased ? Tell me a statement that a majority wouldn't agree on. The thing that's making me chuckle Barne is the fact there is 4 - 5 GSi owners in this thread that have all said they handle rubbish, like boats etc. Do you own one ? No.
CorsAsh

24th Feb 10 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's got you hook, line and sinker. Like a giant mackerel.
Nic Barnes

24th Feb 10 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

stop being biased.

What's biased ? Tell me a statement that a majority wouldn't agree on.

that people are free to chose what car they want to buy for whatever reasons they want. not everyone choses a car solely to be track orientated like you do. people chose to buy cars for many different reasons.
Rob B

24th Feb 10 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great point people do buy cars usually based around there personal needs. However this thread is about a CTR vs Astra Gsi. So once again, you've failed.
Nic Barnes

24th Feb 10 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh right. I wasnt trying to win.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » looking into getting a new car, Astra Gsi 2l turbo around 2003? 22 database queries in 0.0151651 seconds