corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Advice.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Advice.....
AndyKent

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 10 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't deliberately not paid a lot purely to take the piss by the way. A fair wedge of that money came from the death of my grand-dad a few years ago and is part of what I've set aside for a house. The rest has come from not drinking much, doing photography jobs in my spare time and whatever.

I haven't set out not to pay much. Basically she set the rate and I've just paid it. Hardly going to just offer loads more cash
pow
Premium Member

22nd Feb 10 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with John here, your 22 for fucks sake not 30, you should be able to live a little before you grow up and move out. I'm not being funny but IN MY OPINION your Mum is being a little silly about it.

[Edited on 22-02-2010 by pow]
John

22nd Feb 10 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
quote:
Originally posted by John
Who really thinks you should be paying 50% of the house costs

Just about everybody who has a son/lodger that is going to buy a VXR whilst living near rent free would be my guess May be not 50% but being able to have £20k of money/assets whilst paying less than £50 a week rent is taking the piss somewhat...

quote:
That's what parents are for as long as they can afford it.

Yeah righty then

Unless his mum is living in poverty because he's buying a VXR get a grip tbh.

I'd hate to be your son.
AndyKent

22nd Feb 10 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see both points. She's not here to subsidise my lifestyle, but at the same time if I can't spend my own money at 22, when can I?

Fuck it though, I'm coming to the conclusion that if I buy the car I'll feel awful for going against what she thinks, and if I don't buy it I'll hate her for it. Easiest would be to short term rent a room off a mate and see if I can buy somewhere asap.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Feb 10 at 23:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your not gunna get the car don't move out.

Don't answer this if you don't want to but does your Mum struggle?
John

22nd Feb 10 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't go against my parents either, most have some funny ideas about at least one aspect of your life.

I hope I don't become miserable enough to be like that with my kids though.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Feb 10 at 23:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see the money I pay my parents a token of respect for the fact they give me everything I need at home, not rent. Parents who demand rent at an extortionate rate off their children while they are not desperately struggling shouldn't REALLY be parents IMO. My parents allow me to live at home because I'm their child and they love me. I'm not a "lodger" in their house.

[Edited on 22-02-2010 by pow]
AndyKent

22nd Feb 10 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
If your not gunna get the car don't move out.

Don't answer this if you don't want to but does your Mum struggle?

Not really, no. Shes like me (or I'm like her) in that she doesn't spend a lot on random stuff. Just the essentials, but thats not really because she hasn't got the money, its because thats how her parents were and shes always been the same.

That said, she fairly recently bought a brand new (well, pre-reg) corsa and only works part time

[Edited on 22-02-2010 by AndyKent]
pow
Premium Member

22nd Feb 10 at 23:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Umm it's very difficult. Perhaps leave the whole thing for a couple of months and talk to her about it then?
Generation

22nd Feb 10 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy the VXR tell her, you went for something cheaper in the end, unless she knows what a vxr is? Then debadge it
Nath

22nd Feb 10 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Buy the VXR tell her, you went for something cheaper in the end, unless she knows what a vxr is? Then debadge it

Legit plan
AndyKent

22nd Feb 10 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats some serious effort
Carl

22nd Feb 10 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know understand the rat look, all along it has been for those living at home not wanting their parents to know they had spent any money on their cars. That explains a lot.

[Edited on 22-02-2010 by Carl]
Paul_J

22nd Feb 10 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
She's right - unless you're paying 500pm then it's a good deal.

I agree with Ian...

Fucking hell you're paying £175 a month! That's fucking nothing.

Go rent somewhere in the real world and realise how cheap you're mum is letting you live.

There's a lot more than just the 'rent' cost. so say you found somewhere to rent for £320 / month... it won't 'only' cost you £145 more.

You'll have council tax - £150 a month... bills £60 + £30 = say £90 a month.

Then you've just said your mum buys all the food. Seriously sit down and think what this costs, e.g. a meal every night, every bottle of coke, snack, milk etc. it all adds up and will be £150+.

£320 + £150 + £90 + £150 = £710... and that's being quite conservative.

... £175...a month that's such a bargain fair enough when you were say 18, but now you're 22 and working full time I think it's time to grow up and help your mum out.
Nath

22nd Feb 10 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul, did you not read anything about Andy's current predicament with regards to a deposit and his basic wage?
JonnyJ

22nd Feb 10 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tell my mum the same thing when these discussions arise.

She opened her legs, not me, live with the consequences. Now put my dinner on.
Generation

22nd Feb 10 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pay £120 a month TBF my parents dont need money as mortgage etc paid off, usully I am not at home much apart from evenings. I relaise its cheap, I also realise I am lucky, but in their eyes, I am there son (last one at home) and they are charging me rent, so that I have enough money to save each money to move out
Generation

22nd Feb 10 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They also wouldnt give a fuck what I spend my money on
Adam C
Premium Member

22nd Feb 10 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Umm it's very difficult. Perhaps leave the whole thing for a couple of months and talk to her about it then?

And perhaps help your mum out abit, I don't know if you do or not, but perhaps spend abit more time with her, do some jobs around the house and generally help her out in as many ways as you can.

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
Tomnova16
Premium Member

22nd Feb 10 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have neve paid any rent or anything towards food and things still live at home but moving out very soon and always had the cars i wanted, holidays i wanted. dont see why some parents are like this. id want my kids to enjoy their life.
I do help out round the house though.
just get the car and tell your mum when you are older then you will return the favour and build a granny annix on the side of your house

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Generation

22nd Feb 10 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offer to up rent about £40 a month, no its not a massive amount, for you or her, but it will show your trying to help out more + shes more likly to ccept that amount
AndyKent

22nd Feb 10 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
just get the car and tell your mum when you are older then you will return the favour and build a granny annix on the side of your house

Fuck that

Jokez btw for anyone about to have a go
taylorboosh

22nd Feb 10 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol id tell my mam to get fucked tbh. i blow loads on cars and dont save at all, my mam and dad dont care
Paul_J

22nd Feb 10 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Paul, did you not read anything about Andy's current predicament with regards to a deposit and his basic wage?

yeah I just think he needs to pay his mum some more respect... He's acting like a spoilt brat.

He's said '£175 I know that's not half the costs my mum has, but it's probably not far off' - It'll be no where near...

I think Andy should go rent somewhere to see how much living out of home costs. I learnt the hard way... Just looked at the 'rent' and thought 'yeah I can cover that easily, I'll be loaded renting' - then months down the line thought 'hmm where is all my money' - when you work it out, you realise how much you're parents paid to support your arse living at home.

Don't get me wrong, if I was Andy, I'd buy the VXR - but I think he needs to pay some more respect to his mum as she is doing him a massive favour charging him so little.

If I was to move back in with my parents (and I consider it since renting is pouring money down the drain) I'd happily pay them £250-£300 if I got free food too and feel I've got a great deal! Would be saving myself a lot of money.
kz

22nd Feb 10 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car's really ain't worth shit man... if you're happy at home then stay there. I'm earning around the same as you and my car cost me £800 and I'm perfectly happy with it

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Advice..... 23 database queries in 0.0172539 seconds