corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Interested in rallying/motorsport?

Poll: Interested in rallying/motorsport?
  not enough information
  to expensive
  would rather drive round MakyDs
  dont have a garage or tools
  wouldnt know where to start

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Interested in rallying/motorsport?
nick_sri

User status: Offline
12th May 10 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres nothing saying you cant use the rally car on the road if you wanted
tomt08

12th May 10 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would like to get into the stock hatch series however a competitive car is to expensive and then youve gott think about things like a trailer and van for spares
antnee

12th May 10 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dhdev - What car you racing in the VAG Trophy, I should be going along with my friend to all the races except the first one at Brands cos the car isn't ready
dhdev

12th May 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
dhdev - What car you racing in the VAG Trophy, I should be going along with my friend to all the races except the first one at Brands cos the car isn't ready

I'll be racing a white Mk2 Golf in class C. My friend who is supplying the car will be racing another mk2 (black) in class A (1.8 20v turbo), he won't be able to compete at Brands though as he is still fitting the engine! What is your friend racing?
antnee

12th May 10 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A black (with green bits) MK3 Ibiza Cupra, think he's in class B, although it might be C
Paul_J

12th May 10 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tomt08
I would like to get into the stock hatch series however a competitive car is to expensive and then youve gott think about things like a trailer and van for spares

I'd suggest going along and watching them race first. It's like bumper cars. Most cars get damaged - yes parts are cheap, but you really need to be a mechanic to cheaply fix it all the time.

dhdev - that is awesome... £2.5k to go racing I'm very jealous. Although what happens if you crash the car / someone hits you? you say someone is giving you the car, is that included?

- Ian makes a very good point. Techincally a lot of us could go racing, but we choose to spend our money on other stuff.

I personally have faced this dilema several times thinking, I could go racing and drive a shit box daily... but the reality is, I still wouldnt' be able to 'afford' to go racing - I'd be in a budget series, with a budget car at the back of the pack, HOPING there's no accident / crash that is going to cause me to have to spend money on reshelling the car / fixing it etc.

In my opinion that 'worry' about damaging the car because of cost would impact the speed and agression you'd drive at. I know in my 106 gti I used to push harder and drive faster than I do in my s2000 on track, as in the 106 gti I could afford to lose the car and not lose too much money.

Therefore, despite being technically able to 'afford' to go racing, I can't really afford to do it properly and therefore I will wait a bit longer.

If I move back in with my parents this year (sad innit) - then I'll have so much more disposable income available to me, that I could really consider saving and going racing.

I originally considered doing a series like Mr2 Challenge, but recently I've been thinking about some form of caterham style / locost style series ... cars being light, great handling, fairly simple to rebuild etc and fairly similar in spec.

I'd hope with that, I'd be able to buy a car for around £5-£7k and have some fun competitive racing.
dhdev

12th May 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
dhdev - that is awesome... £2.5k to go racing I'm very jealous. Although what happens if you crash the car / someone hits you? you say someone is giving you the car, is that included?

We'll sort it out when it happens. Worst case it'll be a new shell and a lick of paint
sand-eel

12th May 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"too expensive"
Me and a mate where making a class 1 STRC corsa and I really don't have the money for it the now. I should have made it into a fucking track car like I planned to do.
Rallycorsa

12th May 10 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

once again thanks for your comments good to see that some agree it is about choice and that if you really wanted to you could be out there swapping paint with the best of them. I would like to use the comments as an indication to our beloved MSA
RCS

12th May 10 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cost is the main issue. It requires a high initial investment to build the car and get safety equipment which puts people off.

I sacrifice all my luxuries to fund it...its around £500 a race for me. With the CSCC Tin Tops being a two driver race you can split the cost...£250 per race.
Rallycorsa

12th May 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have thought the cheapest form of motorsport would be autocross around £45 entry and door to door racing in a standard car with cage has to be value for money.
antnee

12th May 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by tomt08

I'd suggest going along and watching them race first. It's like bumper cars. Most cars get damaged - yes parts are cheap, but you really need to be a mechanic to cheaply fix it all the time.

As I said earlier, my friend who is racing in the same series this year has spent 10k already and has more stuff to go!

Theres lots of little things which add to the cost which you may over look at first.
swill_omnibus

12th May 10 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love to do motorcross, but for me it's:
Time
Space
Tools
Money
Knowledge

But something I would consider in the future mind

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Interested in rallying/motorsport? 22 database queries in 0.3629029 seconds