corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MG ZR160

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MG ZR160
lostboy
Banned

User status: Offline
5th Jul 10 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
I'd rather a ZT V8 or ZS V6 personally.

or an MG F or TF.

[Edited on 05-07-2010 by adiohead]

You were doing well til you said that, you faggot.
adiohead

5th Jul 10 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lostboy
quote:
I'd rather a ZT V8 or ZS V6 personally.

or an MG F or TF.

[Edited on 05-07-2010 by adiohead]

You were doing well til you said that, you faggot.

Corsa_Sport21

5th Jul 10 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prefer the facelift ZS.The 1s with the vent things in the wings.
P1 ZR looks decent in the correct colour.

What is the actual reason the H/G goes??I think ive read about 10 different reasons over the years.
Adam_B

5th Jul 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because its a Rover and its shit.
Ste
Premium Member

5th Jul 10 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ignore the haters and the Rover bashers. I had a ZR+ TDi and it was a great car, got it from new in 2001 and kept it for 3 years till I traded it in for a 206. I had all the options so it was similar spec to a 160 but was for my 300 mile motorway slog per week so return 45 to the gallon.

They are a great car really. It did go in 11 times in the first year for warranty work and recalls but a used one should have had all the niggly issues sorted. If you were that concerned about head gaskets then just replace it when you buy it, £50 and an afternoons work and you have peace of mind. The Lotus elises have a restrictor in the ecu to stop you ragging them untill the engine is warm so aslong as you keep to that regime then you won't have problems.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Toby
Premium Member

5th Jul 10 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Mum got her 160 brand new in 05 even with 20k on the clock its actually shagged but the headgasket has gone. Trim is falling off, it went back three times for the alarm, abs had issues list goes on
kz

5th Jul 10 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I wrong for always having a soft spot for these? I think the interior's awesome!

adiohead

5th Jul 10 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

200 BRM's are cool, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaDFtZvsL18
jr

5th Jul 10 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a clio 172, its shit, but good and shit, unlike the rover
Fonz
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 00:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had two and loved them both!! (first was shunted the second i put in a ditch on its roof) would recommend if it is mechanically sound, i genuinely had little to fault it for and loved the driving position, sound from the exhaust and handling
Jamie-C

6th Jul 10 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lad I know has had one for about 2 years with no real problems. Great to be in, makes me smile every time
Eck
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 01:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates ZR 105 is a 54 plate with 40k on the clock and there aren't many bits of trim that haven't fallen off. BOTH windows have fallen off of the runners so can't put them up or down (and one of the back ones actually fell out...), an air vent fell off, the centre console popped out of place and won't go back in, buttons have fallen out etc etc. It's the worst car I've ever been in for interior quality. Bar none.
atz_49

6th Jul 10 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a cracking motor for £2.5k. A friend of mine has had a 160 for nearly two years and had very few problems. Yes the interior's crap and yes it isn't built like a Merc but then, for £2.5k, you don't expect it to be do you? Handles well, quick, looks ok too.
Ojc

6th Jul 10 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rachel hates the Clio, she quite liked the MG.
McWillster

6th Jul 10 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick cars, mate of mine had one, ran low 15's at crail, handeled well. Gearbox did fail on him though and it seem to take forever to get it back on the road

[Edited on 06-07-2010 by McWillster]
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

206 gti 180
Fro

6th Jul 10 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure the Honda engine came in at somepoint negating head gasket issues.
DaveyLC

6th Jul 10 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
do not get one, will be opening a bag of worms, not being able to get parts etc etc

As OJC said, parts arent a problem..

If the CHG goes fit the Landrover part and it will be fine

Lots of car for the money! But it will fall to pieces around you

[Edited on 06-07-2010 by DaveyLC]
adiohead

6th Jul 10 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some info from wiki that relates:

Head gasket failure

The K-Series engine used in the MG F has gained a reputation for head gasket trouble.[citation needed] This is due to a range of problems including build tolerances, block face stiffness, casting quality and material and cooling system layout. A number of changes were made over the years to improve the condition, but none were entirely successful. Because of this, the MGF and TF have a higher reliability index than their Toyota and Mazda rivals in the same class, which actually means that the car is less reliable[8].
Amongst the first of the changes was the introduction of steel head locating dowels. Early versions of the K Series engine had steel dowels, but these were loose fitting and used as an assembly aid. Plastic dowels were then introduced to prevent head face damage on the assembly line and also as a cost saving. This engine had wet liners and a solid block top deck and was not known for being prone to gasket failure. The plastic dowels were carried forward to the redesigned K series which was then available in 1600 and 1800 capacities by using damp liners and an open block design. However, it became apparent that this engine had an issue with head gasket failure which was partly due to lack of stiffness in the head/block interface. To help reduce this shuffling, steel dowels were reintroduced, but with a tight fit to fix the head securely to the block face. This reduced one mode of head gasket failure caused by movement between the block and head faces, but was only partly successful because the dowels only helped in their local areas. The gasket itself was also subject to minor improvements to the sealing bead design over the years.
During its later years, the cooling system was also modified by the introduction of a PRT (pressure release thermostat). This allowed increased coolant flow at high engine loads even before high temperatures were reached and reduced the thermal shock the engine saw when a conventional thermostat was first opened. This thermal shock would cause differential expansion across the gasket face causing relative movement between head and block. The design had already been used on Freelander applications with limited success.
A new design of head gasket has been available for several years from Land Rover which can be retro-fitted to all K-Series engines. This is of the MLS (multi layer steel) design. This has now been superseded by a new MLS design that is used in conjunction with higher tensile head bolts and strengthened oil rail (into which the bolts are screwed). A modified tightening method is also used with the new bolts. The effectiveness is yet to be proved.
In the 2005 model year updates, MG Rover added a low coolant sensor to the MG TF, which should virtually eradicate the problem from the car when coolant loss is at fault as the driver will be warned prior to any serious damage occurring. Destined to be introduced with the Euro IV emissions compliant engine in late 2005 was the MLS gasket and strengthened oil rail. The aim of the latter is to improve engine rigidity. But this was never introduced on the MG TF made by MG Rover Group as the company had gone bankrupt by the time of the planned launch.
The N-Series engine (basically the aforementioned Euro IV-compliant K-Series) in the MG TF relaunched by Nanjing Automotive in September 2008, has these modifications as standard
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
206 gti 180
Nath

6th Jul 10 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

206 gti 180
DaveyLC

6th Jul 10 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'd rather a ZT V8

I bet you'd eat those words after owning one..

BAG OF CRAP.
Ojc

6th Jul 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much are they Steve you man?
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can get them on 60-70k for 2500
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jul 10 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201026362628735/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/4000/price-from/0/model/206/make/peugeot/radius/1501/postcode/wr65jj/keywords/gti%20180/page/1?logcode=p

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MG ZR160 23 database queries in 0.0146599 seconds