corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Total Vauxhall Live date announced

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Total Vauxhall Live date announced
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's fair enough Ian, as said I can see the sense in that. I'll bet they didn't just throw Lewis Hamilton into an F1 car on his first day.

It's just that this stuff about people claiming wildly underpowered cars are faster than cars with double the power needs to be stamped out tbh.
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Dec 10 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On paper, of course not. On the day, sometimes.
alan-g-w

23rd Dec 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sometimes, but only due to the car not being set up correctly or there being a lack of good driver in the superior car.
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Dec 10 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course - that is the point - it's about how it's driven.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

23rd Dec 10 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have the faster car, then overtaking a slower car is expected, the only fun in it is that you're driving un-restricted on a race track.

Driving the slower car and battling with supposed faster cars is where it becomes fun, ego building, that's the point, I'd hate to go on track with a faster car than everyone else, it'd be easy, it's all about challenging yourself and other people
alan-g-w

23rd Dec 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see why you like that style too Mike, you make a valid point. But are you trying to tell me if someone offered to fit the 1.2 with a 400bhp LET, some Bilsteins and some mega 4 pots and got it all set up to match you wouldn't go for it?

For me driving on track would be all about going as fast as I could. And tbh no matter what spec your car is at you're always going to be able to challenge yourself and other people. Just that the challenging other people bit would be a hell of a lot easier!
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Dec 10 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 400bhp LET you could still drive against yourself and the clock so yeah, still a challenge. It's just more difficult to drive so you therefore wouldn't be as good at it, therefore less rewarding.
Mike
Premium Member

23rd Dec 10 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Just that the challenging other people bit would be a hell of a lot easier!

No comprende

It's the challenge that makes it fun in my eyes. For example, when I was at Oulton Park there was also a race prep'd V8 Ginetta out and it was just blitzing everything, in my eyes that would've been a waste of £140 for a track day where you just drive around easily quicker than everyone else. I just like my little battles with cars that should be flying passed me
alan-g-w

23rd Dec 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye but Ian you'd soon learn how to handle it, the same way that you'd learn to handle a car with less power. I'd go as far to say it would be more rewarding to drive the faster car, because when you put in the practice and end up mastering a harder car to drive you'd be a much better driver than if you were only able to drive the medium tuned car. If that makes sense.

[Edited on 23-12-2010 by alan-g-w]
alan-g-w

23rd Dec 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Just that the challenging other people bit would be a hell of a lot easier!

No comprende

It's the challenge that makes it fun in my eyes. For example, when I was at Oulton Park there was also a race prep'd V8 Ginetta out and it was just blitzing everything, in my eyes that would've been a waste of £140 for a track day where you just drive around easily quicker than everyone else. I just like my little battles with cars that should be flying passed me

I was just joking with the challenging other people bit.

It must just be a case of horses for courses, I've never even been near driving on a real track apart from one designed for go karts so at this point in my life I can't really comment on the ins and outs. I do know that I would rather start off with an all round quicker base if I had the option to do so, but I can also see why power isn't everything. I've got no problem at all with people going out and tuning an underdog, everyone loves that. But when people just hit out with garbage about these sorts of things it's sometimes annoying.

I'll bet there are people on here who think a 1.6 would be just as fast round a track than a 2.0 with identical chassis prep work, just because the whole weight thing gets blown completely out of proportion. I know that's going off on a bit of a tangent but it's just one thing that gets brought up all too often.
Mike
Premium Member

23rd Dec 10 at 22:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The tuned 1.6 vs. 2.0 debate is one that I think has gone on since people started putting XEs in Corsas and it's probably never going to go away because each has its pros and cons. I started thinking about going down that route a few years back and thought I'd do a search on here and find the answer but all I found was numerous threads pointing out the same pros and cons and basically saying it's all down to personal preference and application.

Having never driven either I can't really comment but after reading through all those threads I found myself looking towards the X18XE1 so it really is all down to what seems best for you.

Obviously both engines in standard form the XE has the advantage but with work the 1.6 could have the advantage, it's a debate that'll most likely keep going till all the XEs have been killed
alan-g-w

24th Dec 10 at 02:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed as above, horses for courses.
SportBoy

24th Dec 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gotta love the power haters
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Dec 10 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guy just got back to me about that Vegga so I'll hopefully be sporting a factory 195bhp instead of my usual 125
Ojc

24th Dec 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SportBoy
gotta love the power haters

I have both
SportBoy

24th Dec 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go you!
corsadonk
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A track day isn't a race, your not even meant to overtake on corners.

I know first hand Mike B is a nutter, he's done me twice round Combe But I've never spun or hit anything on track before, I always drive within my limits, I think I'm a pretty good driver, but not fast, but I have been getting better, I'm aiming to have a shakedown on the 9th of April the Spring action day, in my new project
Mike
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
I know first hand Mike B is a nutter, he's done me twice round Combe

Oh how I laughed reading that earlier on whilst in the garage working on Version 2
corsadonk
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll see how I get on with my version 2
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Dec 10 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is it you're building? We were trying to work out what you might come up with.
Adam_B

24th Dec 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had most fun on track in my corsa that i threw together myself (except the engine) over about 5 years. Ive had an MR2 on track and a VX220, both were faster than my corsa but thinking back no where near as enjoyable. it was a massive understeering barge because it had the wrong XE in corsa if anyone cares.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Dec 10 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XE owner in understeering barge complaints

[Edited on 24-12-2010 by Ian]
Adam_B

24th Dec 10 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to get out and push it round corners as it was safer. 1.8 conversion wasn't invented back then

[Edited on 24-12-2010 by Adam_B]
corsadonk
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 23:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
What is it you're building? We were trying to work out what you might come up with.

Who, Me?
Mike
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 23:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, you

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Total Vauxhall Live date announced 22 database queries in 0.1424401 seconds