corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Cyclist Vs Police

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cyclist Vs Police
Ben D

User status: Offline
31st Mar 11 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Cybermonkey - http://www.abd.org.uk/know_your_speed_limits.htm

I agree with ojc, the officer quoted a law that doesn't even exist - ID Copplan was something made up by the police officer to forc the guy to comply. This is out of order, no matter what the cyclist has done - even if he's gone through a red light he's well within the law to be doing what he's doing, no matter how much of a cock he's being.

The police contantly do things like this to people who have no knowledge - there are plenty of cyclists on here aren't there? If it was one of the people complaining about how that cyclist was being a knob that got stopped, would you not have done the exact same thing as him to get away with it? I know I would if I could.

I believe he was referring to this: http://www.police999.com/forum/index.php?topic=165.0;wap2 skip to Section 24 [COPPLANId]
youngsezer

31st Mar 11 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so he does know what he's talking about, just not in exact words, i still fall on the police's side on this one
Jambo

31st Mar 11 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
Hard to say how much of a prick the cyclist is without seeing the incident. Imo it is perfectly safe to go through some red lights on a bike without causing danger to yourself or any other road user. I often do it myself so im not going to be hypocritical.

The policeman needs to do more homework if he is going to stop people in that manner. He really should know exactly where he stands legally in that situation or he shouldnt be in the job.

You do yourself no favours sir.

The guy went through a red light, regardless of if you think it's safe to do so. Same could be said about cars. I stop by one every morning and have to stay there even though I can see from both directions that there's nothing coming. Let's just all go if you think it's safe enough?!

The guy would have got points and a fine if he had a motorvehicle. This is a prime example of people thinking they are better than the law. Ill be the first to admit that the Police are generally inept and attitudes can be wrong but deAling with antagonistic superior little counts like that I'm not suprised.

Hopefully he will get hit by a bus next time he deems himself to be above the law so he doesn't need to obey the highway code.
Rob_Quads

31st Mar 11 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Hard to say how much of a prick the cyclist is without seeing the incident. Imo it is perfectly safe to go through some red lights on a bike without causing danger to yourself or any other road user. I often do it myself so im not going to be hypocritical.

Whether its safe or not is not the point. Its breaking the law. Do you do the same in the car? If not why not? Its just as safe if no-one is around?
Budgie

31st Mar 11 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:

Whether its safe or not is not the point. Its breaking the law. Do you do the same in the car? If not why not? Its just as safe if no-one is around?

You're not suppose to leave your engine running when de-icing your car in the morning but loads of people still do it.
alan-g-w

31st Mar 11 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Cybermonkey - http://www.abd.org.uk/know_your_speed_limits.htm

I agree with ojc, the officer quoted a law that doesn't even exist - ID Copplan was something made up by the police officer to forc the guy to comply. This is out of order, no matter what the cyclist has done - even if he's gone through a red light he's well within the law to be doing what he's doing, no matter how much of a cock he's being.

The police contantly do things like this to people who have no knowledge - there are plenty of cyclists on here aren't there? If it was one of the people complaining about how that cyclist was being a knob that got stopped, would you not have done the exact same thing as him to get away with it? I know I would if I could.

I believe he was referring to this: http://www.police999.com/forum/index.php?topic=165.0;wap2 skip to Section 24 [COPPLANId]

Aye right enough, the officer obviously didn't really have a clue about it though.

I reckon the policeman should have come at the guy with a bit less vigour to start with. He seemed like the type of officer that was dead happy to have caught him, the way he dragged it out at first really annoyed me. If it was a more sympathetic cop I would very much be on their side but the fact he's acted like an arrogant bastard before the cyclist means I've got no sympathy for him at all.
Jambo

31st Mar 11 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Budgie
quote:
quote:

You're not suppose to leave your engine running when de-icing your car in the morning but loads of people still do it.

Not quite on the same safety radar though is it?
alan-g-w

31st Mar 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But it's not about safety when you're at your clear junction you're talking about Jambo - it's about obeying the law.
Jambo

31st Mar 11 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course it's about safety?!

Your going on a red because YOU think it's safe, but to any other traffic/pedestrian the road signals are saying it's green.

That's when accidents happen. I'll refer you to when I nearly got knocked flat (as did girl right behind me) of the cyclist who chose to ognore the red light and plough into a group of pedestrians.

I can't believe people are actually debating this
Steve
Premium Member

31st Mar 11 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with Jambo, however i have a word or two to say about traffic lights and the like. I suppose this is a bit OT and for a seperate debate really.

I think traffic lights and over use of road signs has led to the inept brain dead behaviour posed by todays drivers. Studies in other EU countries have shown cleaner, less road signs and lights leads to people maiking more informed decision based on there own intelligence as well as less confusion.

Have you ever noticed how traffic flows better at the junction when the lights are out?

[Edited on 31-03-2011 by Steve]
Jambo

31st Mar 11 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I travel past a set of 3 lights by Maidenhead train station everyday, traffic all the time. Sit in it everyday, except the day when the lights are out of order!
BarnshaW

31st Mar 11 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont like cyclists and dont like police so let them both wind eachtoher up and have a bad day
alan-g-w

31st Mar 11 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Confusion
pow
Premium Member

31st Mar 11 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My latest annoyance on the road is the moped that can do no more than 25mph uphill that I have to sit behind in a queue of traffic for miles and miles in 50 and 60 limit areas because no-one can overtake it.
Ben D

31st Mar 11 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should just give him a helping push up the hill pow
pow
Premium Member

31st Mar 11 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll fucking knock the cunt off. If I was to drive at 25mph I'm sure I'd be pulled over but because he hasn't got doors, a heater and a radio it's fine clearly.
youngsezer

31st Mar 11 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep we have those too :grr:

also agree with the traffic flow when lights are out too, we have a 3 way traffic light junction on the a350, get stuck every day but when they are out theres never anyone waiting
pow
Premium Member

31st Mar 11 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone who knows the area should see the A4/A355/Three Tuns junction with no lights, my fuck it's entertaining
adiohead

31st Mar 11 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sometimes traffic flows better without lights, but I was stuck in crazy heavy traffic the other morning because the lights had stopped working at a major roundabout off the m40.
Dr Pepper

quote:
quote:

I go past several t junctions where I am in a cycle lane and am going to turn left onto the new road into a new cycle lane...Yes- I should stop at the lights ... but as I have half a brain and a pair of eyes it is perfectly safe to continue through the lights onto the new road. I wouldnt do the same in a car as I would be taking up the whole road - not continuing round a bend in a cycle lane.

Im not saying its legal - but its perfectly safe.

To be honest - there are plenty of red lights you can skip in a car as well if you know the road well and you can see exactly what cars, pedestrians are coming- personally I never do it - more because im scared of points on my license than of actually being in an accident.

Plenty of things are against the law - but we do them anyway because we feel we are not really causing a problem.

You honestly saying you dont ever go over 70 on a motorway ... personally if the road is clear, I can see whats coming and the conditions are good - I make a judgment call and drive over the speed limit - most people are capable of making these judgement calls - the laws are there becuase many people are not and we need laws for their safety and mine.

By the way - Im not saying it was right for him to jump a red - would need to see the road to say if it was acceptable or not ... policeman was well within his rights to stop him - but he should know how to proceed if the offender questioned his being stopped and asked for details...he doesnt appear to have a clue
adiohead

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Anyone who knows the area should see the A4/A355/Three Tuns junction with no lights, my fuck it's entertaining

I used to go to the Three Tuns Cafe
adiohead

31st Mar 11 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
By the way - Im not saying it was right for him to jump a red - would need to see the road to say if it was acceptable or not ... policeman was well within his rights to stop him - but he should know how to proceed if the offender questioned his being stopped and asked for details...he doesnt appear to have a clue

but he did proceed in the correct way, with a slap
pow
Premium Member

31st Mar 11 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:
Originally posted by pow

I used to go to the Three Tuns Cafe

Looks rough as fuck now
Dr Pepper

31st Mar 11 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Its not as safe in a car- a car is much bigger than a bike and doesnt fit in a cycle lane. You also have much better visability and hearing on a bike. Even if a car did come when I wasnt expecting it it is unlikely to be skimming along the kerb and hit me.

Im not saying its legal - im just saying that with a small amount of intelligence it is perfectly acceptable to break some laws without any problems.

If you get caught of course then you dont have a leg to stand on - unless you get a policeman like this guy got who hasnt got a good enough grip of the law to carry out his job. This policeman made such a pig of his job that he actually let a law breaker go as he doidnt know if he actually had the right to fine or detain him.

[Edited on 31-03-2011 by Dr Pepper]
youngsezer

31st Mar 11 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm sorry but i'm with rob_quads on this one

[Edited on 31-03-2011 by youngsezer]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Cyclist Vs Police 22 database queries in 0.0145810 seconds