corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Petrol Vs Diesel - an interesting article

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Petrol Vs Diesel - an interesting article
Corsa_Sport21

User status: Offline
3rd May 11 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually questioned him as to why he went for a diesel.I said the scientists over on Corsasport reckon it would take 12k miles to see any saving.
Then he came out with how the more expensive diesel lasts him longer.Felt like a right tit.
3CorsaMeal

3rd May 11 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate used to drive his porsche 911 turbo to work and was costing him £100 a week, he now takes the sit on lawnmower and costs £30 a week.

both petrol

Ash_EP3

3rd May 11 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless your doing loads and loads of miles I wouldn't even consider a diesel... they drive horrible, sound horrible and they have to have forced induction to keep with average cars I was driving my dads Saab 1.9 TTDI Aero a couple of times whilst my car was being resprayed and it wasn't anywhere near as nice/fun to drive as the Civic (although it was much quieter )
Steve
Premium Member

3rd May 11 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats also true, a na diesel doesn not usually beat a n/a petrol on performance
dannymccann

3rd May 11 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't go back to a petrol car unless you paid me, and I only do 8k a year, prefer the way it drives
Fad

3rd May 11 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrols drive so much nicer and cleaner than diesels without a doubt! Love getting back into a decent petrol.

You dont have to do 12k a year to make a saving on buying a diesel, firstly its depreciation is lower, tax is lower and they generally have longer servicing intervals too.

The only time a diesel is costly is when they go wrong.

There is no reason a diesel cant be quick as the equivilant petrol on track, anyone remeber the Touring car Seats? The reason they are not used is they are boring as fuck with a narow power band and not very flexible.

Going from several VAG diesels to a BM you can see how much diesel technology has progressed as the 320d drives more like a petrol being smooth and linear rather than a single punch like anything PD.

Wont be long till diesels will be more propular out on track I reckon sepecially with how cheap 335d's can be had for now

Steve
Premium Member

3rd May 11 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would say its harder to drive a diesel hard on track, unless it has very customised power delivery, you have barely any control over throttle modulation with great lumps of power coming in all over the place, also you dont have so much control or flexibility using engine braking

[Edited on 03-05-2011 by Steve]
Fad

3rd May 11 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine braking is true enough but you will find with bigger capacity diesels they do drive more progressively as they have more torque and dont require a shove in the back like smaller capacity engines.
LeeM

3rd May 11 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i prefer petrol over diesel to drive and to work on.
i know of at least 1 F1 team doing research into diesel though
sand-eel

3rd May 11 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
'mon the LPG & 70p per litre!

In the end LPGs use more fuel so you are prob saving 20p a litre, but still cheaper
sand-eel

3rd May 11 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you care that much about MPG get an old diesel with 2 fuel tanks (a small one for diesel and the origional for used veg oil) people in 20MPG shoguns were doing equivalent of over 200MPG as they only used a few litres of bought diesel
Phil W

3rd May 11 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like driving my diesel, however it doesn't sound particularly good.

I don't find myself wanting to go out for random spirited drives any more, but its costing me less
emicen

3rd May 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i would say its harder to drive a diesel hard on track, unless it has very customised power delivery, you have barely any control over throttle modulation with great lumps of power coming in all over the place, also you dont have so much control or flexibility using engine braking

[Edited on 03-05-2011 by Steve]

Disagree.

My 320d was no more difficult to drive on track than my Mini. Only issue was 3rd was a sniff too short for one straight between corners. But that's equally true on the road and if it was the 5sp box it wouldn't have been an issue.

Engine braking is an issue on any turbocharged car really compared to NA, not diesel specific. I can see why the BTCC guys are having issues but on lesser powered cars its not really a problem.

Lumps of power is an interesting one, more applicable to VAG units that have a surgey delivery.
smcGSI16V

3rd May 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do 16k a year, and I save about 40% over what I was paying out altogether.

And my Deisel is pretty fucking awesome on a track, you just have to drive them different.

I probably wont ever go back to petrol.

Also depends on which diesel car you buy and are comparing to a petrol car.

[Edited on 03-05-2011 by smcGSI16V]
Bart

3rd May 11 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alot of people slating diesels, im interested to know what they're comparing it to.

I bought my first diesel last year (535D M Sport, twin turbo 270bhp) and have to say its one of the best cars ive ever driven.

Excellent performance, excellent luxury and good MPG (not amazing, but good), better than my previous 318 and better than the wifes TT Quattro.

[Edited on 03-05-2011 by Bart]
Steve
Premium Member

3rd May 11 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

must admit im comparing it to my fabia vrs, my puma is undoubtably far better on track
A2H GO

3rd May 11 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
I do 16k a year, and I save about 40% over what I was paying out altogether.

And my Deisel is pretty fucking awesome on a track, you just have to drive them different.

I probably wont ever go back to petrol.

Also depends on which diesel car you buy and are comparing to a petrol car.

[Edited on 03-05-2011 by smcGSI16V]

888 to VXR, fuel wise I can't imagine you would save a great deal at anything less than 10k miles a year.
Adam-D

3rd May 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my omega was getting 25mpg.- damaged manifold - being driven nice
my 328 e46 was getting 25mpg - mixed driving

my audi 1.9tdi gets 40 - 45mpg mixed driveing.

i was putting £120 in the omega a month im now putting in 70 - 80 max a month.

so there is a saving.

plus with the audi being slow, and if i floor it chucking out smoke makes me feel bad to the poor sod behind me,..

it has slowed my everyday driving down.
i dont overtake as much. or gun if for the sake of it all the time.

it all depends on what you buy, the miles you do,. and what your camparing it to,

i wouldnt compare it to my 5 as that'd just be silly.

Ash_EP3

3rd May 11 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll admit if I did buy a diesel it would have to be sporty/semi-sporty (Astra 1.9CDTI SRI / BMW 330/335D) as they are the only ones worth buying for performance / economy but they aren't cheap to buy!!!
DaveyLC

4th May 11 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Diesel drives better tho

Debatable.

When talking about small CC cars the diesel wins every time!

maybe in a traffic light GP or up a hill, but take it on a track, different story

DAMN I knew I should have got the petrol version!!
DaveyLC

4th May 11 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think people need to look past the instant savings and think about the long term:

Economy
Common rail diesel engines are FAR more efficient then their equivilent petrol cousins, even hybrids find it hard to keep up! Yeah you might only save a few quid if you are doing short journeys but think of how long you'll be driving between fill ups.. time is money and all that

Insurance
Diesels tend to be cheaper to insure, they are the sensible choice and (at present anyway) a lower risk category in most cases.

Emissions
I'm sure nobody really cares *BUT* when it comes to paying for your TAX there are loads of common rail diesels that fall into the £30 bracket and just about every other modern diesel will be a lower bracket than its petrol cousin.

Residuals
In the current climate diesels sell better, its a fact! Yeah they are more expensive to buy but they depreciate far less and are easier to shift.

Reliability
Due to the nature of a diesel engine running on principal pre-igniton and not revving so high they are inherently stronger and generally last longer. Granted injectors and turbos can be a heafty cost if they fail.

IMHO most people who can't see the benefits have never owned one, its the same as the whole "I hate motorcyclists" rant which always seems to be by someone who's never ridden a bike on the road.

Open your minds
adiohead

4th May 11 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
must admit im comparing it to my fabia vrs, my puma is undoubtably far better on track

The Puma is one of the best handling fwd cars, imo.

What they need to make is a diesel engine which is light and powerful, then whack it in a decent chassis.
Think that's why the mk6 Fiesta Zetec-S tdci was so popular.

DaveyLC

4th May 11 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
[What they need to make is a diesel engine which is light and powerful,

Pug 1.6 16v HDI? The 206 GTi HDi is pretty impressive
adiohead

4th May 11 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
[What they need to make is a diesel engine which is light and powerful,

Pug 1.6 16v HDI? The 206 GTi HDi is pretty impressive

yeah, that's the same engine in the mk6 fiesta zetec-s tdci (i think)

EDIT - yes it is, my brain is still working! yay

[Edited on 04-05-2011 by adiohead]
mwg

4th May 11 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just buy what ever makes you happy and works best for you. Personal preference.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Petrol Vs Diesel - an interesting article 22 database queries in 0.0192730 seconds