corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Had the Abarth 500 a year...what next?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Had the Abarth 500 a year...what next?
M2RTY

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 11 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depreciation, who knows? Not looked at what they go for private, should sell ok though with all the extras on it, recent serviced, 4 new tyres etc etc

Fad

22nd Jul 11 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you probably did ok on the depreciation considering its a desireble and well specced

After the 500 i'd stick with something petrol and nippy tbh. I think the new Mini Cooper S shouldnt be over looked its much nicer than the old R53
ed

22nd Jul 11 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

500's seem to hold their value well.
adiohead

22nd Jul 11 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's because women buy them, and they have no concept of anything
Butler

22nd Jul 11 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Audi A1
A2H GO

22nd Jul 11 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

It will still have lost a minimum of 15-20% in the first year through VAT alone, then another 10% as a result of being a year older, 10k+ more miles, 1 former owner etc. Plus the second hand market is dire at the moment, especially for high value cars and a dealer will offer a packet of crisps and a fag end trade in.

I'd estimate a loss of £4-5k over the 12 months(plus any finance paid out), plus the same again on whatever you buy over the next 12 months if you go new.

I'd keep it another year at least. Fair play though.

[Edited on 22-07-2011 by A2H GO]
Mark.W

22nd Jul 11 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your description of what you want it to be describes my car im open to offers
whitter45

22nd Jul 11 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by ed

It will still have lost a minimum of 15-20% in the first year through VAT alone, then another 10% as a result of being a year older, 10k+ more miles, 1 former owner etc. Plus the second hand market is dire at the moment, especially for high value cars and a dealer will offer a packet of crisps and a fag end trade in.

I'd estimate a loss of £4-5k over the 12 months(plus any finance paid out), plus the same again on whatever you buy over the next 12 months if you go new.

I disagree

I paid 13600 for the VXR and sold it for 10800 meaning it lost 2,800 in 2 years

taylorboosh

22nd Jul 11 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id keep it
whitter45

22nd Jul 11 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
id keep it
Graeme
Premium Member

22nd Jul 11 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My other half has not long ago bought a Twingo Gordini, had a 500 100bhp before. There is only 200 I think in the country Twingo Gordini's. It's small ish, pretty nippy, handles very good, all the toys inside.

Full leather with bucket seats. Climate control etc etc.

We paid about £12750 new. They retail at about £14500 new.
Jambo

22nd Jul 11 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
Originally posted by john-d
id keep it

A2H GO

22nd Jul 11 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed

I disagree

Lots of factors, was that pre-recession? Sounds like you got it cheap if that was the 'new' price, also could have been lucky.

We bought a Mini One for £14k and were told by Mini it would loose 3k year one, 2k year two and 1k year 3, which is exactly what it did and thats a car that holds its value well. There's only one winner in this game.
mwg

22nd Jul 11 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do people get so bothered about other people buying new cars
A2H GO

22nd Jul 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not fussed in the slightest hence 'fair play', if you got the money go for it.

I personally would feel a bit of a mug to do it again.

EDIT: In response to the original question, if I had to choose it would be 123d Coupe, 12-18 months old in Grey.

BluKoo

22nd Jul 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd happily buy a brand new car if I was going to keep it for years and years, but I wouldn't buy one, keep it for a year and then buy another.
It just makes no sense.

It'd probably be cheaper to lease one.
belton

22nd Jul 11 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

123 or 120d coupe, Audi a4 S line 2.0t cab, or could just upgrade to that Ferrari 500 thing ( although I can't remember if that was just some kinda concept thing or Internet rumour)
although I had a play with a 500 abarth, that had some sorta exhaust system and it sounded like a really aggressive corsa VXR, it was immense! Although I did think why the fuck is this bsm learner car sitting up my arse, as it was White with orange abarth stickers all over it.
M2RTY

22nd Jul 11 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 500 ferrari thing is 35k and looks like a normal 500 learner car lol
M2RTY

22nd Jul 11 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ps she bought the 500 on a shopping trip to York with the girls, i wasnt impressed as she dosnt like bartering and do doubt got naff all discount. So this time ill be doing the buying
3CorsaMeal

22nd Jul 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Why do people get so bothered about other people buying new cars

pretty sure most people on here will be annoyed at the carbon cost involved in manufacturing a new car

its 100% not jealousy
whitter45

22nd Jul 11 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed

I disagree

Lots of factors, was that pre-recession? Sounds like you got it cheap if that was the 'new' price, also could have been lucky.

We bought a Mini One for £14k and were told by Mini it would loose 3k year one, 2k year two and 1k year 3, which is exactly what it did and thats a car that holds its value well. There's only one winner in this game.

sold it March just gone - and it was brand new built to order

[Edited on 22-07-2011 by whitter45]
whitter45

22nd Jul 11 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed

I disagree

sold it March just gone - and it was brand new built to order. I agree you always lose money on cars but some cars are a safer buy if you worry about depreciation

Its like BMW and Audi. people feel as though they hold their value well as they command 18k - 19k after 3 years. The fact they pay a much higher price at the beginning is not accounted for

Most BMW hold mid 50% values after 3 years and that's no better than other manufacturers

also people fall in the trap of looking at dealer used cars and seeing high prices. They are not going advertise its true value as it indicates they lose money like any other manufacturer

[Edited on 22-07-2011 by whitter45]
A2H GO

22nd Jul 11 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People feel they hold their value well because they do hold their vaule well in comparison to other marques, perhaps as a result of them being more expensive to buy to start with.

Generally speaking a more expensive car that depreciates slowly will cost you less than a cheaper one that depreciates more quickly.
whitter45

22nd Jul 11 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
People feel they hold their value well because they do hold their vaule well in comparison to other marques, perhaps as a result of them being more expensive to buy to start with.

Generally speaking a more expensive car that depreciates slowly will cost you less than a cheaper one that depreciates more quickly.

i agree

But if pay 20k for a car that holds 45% of its value then you lose 11k
If pay 30k for a car and it holds 60% which is quite high then you lose 12k

So its not always the more you pay the less you lose

A2H GO

22nd Jul 11 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Swings in roundabouts as the more expensive car will no doubt cost you more to service etc too.

Which brings me back to my point that cars are money pits and most people would do what ever they can to minimise their losses, unless of course you have a money tree.

Has he bought this one series yet?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Had the Abarth 500 a year...what next? 22 database queries in 0.0497680 seconds