corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » what grounds do companys have putting gps tracking devices on there fleet

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author what grounds do companys have putting gps tracking devices on there fleet
harrisp

User status: Offline
4th Oct 11 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are fitted to the vans at work, but you can use them for your own use but you don't get bonuses if you use works diesel (no one gets them anyway) and they don't say anything about speeding.
They do check you say you are where you say you are occasionally.
Fro

4th Oct 11 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Hypothetical scenario:

How would people feel if the government decided that every car should have one of these fitted tomorrow?

Will happen in time tbh
Hammer

4th Oct 11 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adiohead is such a tree hugging, leaf eating, faggot

I'd have them if it were my company, they have several excellent uses; personal mileage, choosing which engineer for which callout, skiving etc etc etc.
Nath

4th Oct 11 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^
adiohead

4th Oct 11 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personal attack
strick206

4th Oct 11 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
I'm pretty sure someone I know that works on the railways said his company have started doing that on their vans so they know they aren't abusing the use of them.

If you are doing nothing wrong what is there to worry about...

[Edited on 04-10-2011 by mwg]

Network Rail are for certain

Yep, there are a few of them popping around now.

We've just returned a fleet of response vehicles because some smart arse decided a limit of 60 on them, limiting them below the speed limit in the UK is stupid.

I agree with them, adiohead is kicking off because he probably has a lot to hide
pow
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dad's told me the day any of his cars are speed limited is the day he leaves
VegasPhil
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

British gas tracker theirs. Mates jcb used to aswell. Has been around for years. I thought it was mainly to stop them being used privately

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Dave

4th Oct 11 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The JCB one will be purely for theft, most modern plant has trackers of some sort now that notifies a control centre if it is used outside certain hours.

I would imagine tracking fleets of vans helps to keep insurance down too.
Haimsey
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had this in my old job. Masternaught tracking devices.

Its pretty insane tbf!
Tells you the exact location of the van, ignition on or off, how long its been stationary, top speed, average speed, time doing a set speed, down to the second in everything.
And it pop's up with a message on the PC when you're going too fast.
Pop's up with messages when visiting set locations - IE home addresses.

You cant do anything or blag a single thing with them in the van

BUT they do have their positives. They were used a couple of times during insurance claims when people's statements differed to where vehicles were at set times. Simply because we could prove (to the second) where and what speed the vehicle was doing and how long it had stopped for, at what time after the crash, etc etc.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quoting Wikipedia and linking the daily mail in one thread, can someone please think of the children?
Terry12

5th Oct 11 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They have them in all our Wagons now. At first they said the isotrak system was just for fuel economy purposes.

Now they monitor everything we do, They have restricted places that show up red if you park in laybys and even service areas on the motorway.

I got a nagged at for being parked up for over 47 mins on my tacho break.
It's not the trackers that are the issue, It all depends how your company use them.
I've had my managers calling a store to ask why I was there for over an hour, They could see i was parked at the back gate waiting and obviously didn't believe me when I sent them a message saying another vehicle was on bay being unloaded. we're actually required to message if sat waiting more than 10 mins.

Needless to say I hate the company with a passion and will be leaving.
whitter45

5th Oct 11 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsav6_mut
We've just got them on our vans at AA but they call it telematics and they say it's purely for emissions.

I can see this as they will be trying to create a Carbon emissions plan phase 3 which includes reporting of transport

whitter45

5th Oct 11 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth
Got one on my pug they use it for mileage audits, start/finish/overtime claims etc. We are limited to 78mph go over 80mph and it emails the manager and i expect to get a phone call saying slow down

I dont see how they can enforce that

I.e if my manager called me to say he had an email stating I was doing over 80 then I would ask what he could do about it

Its my risk If I want to speed

However this would impact running costs of fuel etc so can see logic but cant see how they could enforce it

The way our company now does this is via tax office

They take manufacturers combined mpg figure and take 15% off for real driving conditions. they take an average cost of fuel (at the moment (1.40 for Derv) and then uses calculations to work out pence per mile. think mine i s 13p per mile. Each month we submit total mileage and business milage. They deduct my fuel card cost and pay me 13p a mile for business miles

Therefore if i use expensive fuel and drive aggressively everywhere I will be out of pocket even for my business miles

Its more of incentive to use cheaper fuel and drive more conservatively

flybikeslee

5th Oct 11 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have them in our fitters vans to keep tabs on where they are, makes it easier to plan jobs and make sure they aren't doing sweet FA
Bart

5th Oct 11 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres lots of reasons to add trackers, and their well within their rights to add them.

Main reasons;
- Will reduce their annual van insurance
- Can monitor time spent on site
- Can verify travel time / milage against any personal milage,

tbh, they (should) prevent you from speeding now, which is a benefit for the driver; less dangerous and actually more time spent driving and not actually working.

If you dont take the pish out of the company, I cant see any issue.
spencer88

5th Oct 11 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Hypothetical scenario:

How would people feel if the government decided that every car should have one of these fitted tomorrow?

If the government give me the car, then fine.
taylorboosh

5th Oct 11 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vans are only meant to go 60 on the motorway now anyways, are they not?
taylorboosh

5th Oct 11 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh my bad 70 on motorway, 60 on dual carriageway

trackers arent a problem unless you make them a problem, we have people like the op at work who moan about everything and try and make life as hard as possible for the managers ect.... ffs just get on with it and be glad to have a job
AlunJ

5th Oct 11 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
vans are only meant to go 60 on the motorway now anyways, are they not?

that's dual carriageways
AlunJ

5th Oct 11 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah you corrected yourself already
taylorboosh

5th Oct 11 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remembered i got an email about it a while back and have been driving at 60 on m.ways since
Gareth

5th Oct 11 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth
Got one on my pug they use it for mileage audits, start/finish/overtime claims etc. We are limited to 78mph go over 80mph and it emails the manager and i expect to get a phone call saying slow down

I dont see how they can enforce that

I.e if my manager called me to say he had an email stating I was doing over 80 then I would ask what he could do about it

Its my risk If I want to speed

However this would impact running costs of fuel etc so can see logic but cant see how they could enforce it

The way our company now does this is via tax office

They take manufacturers combined mpg figure and take 15% off for real driving conditions. they take an average cost of fuel (at the moment (1.40 for Derv) and then uses calculations to work out pence per mile. think mine i s 13p per mile. Each month we submit total mileage and business milage. They deduct my fuel card cost and pay me 13p a mile for business miles

Therefore if i use expensive fuel and drive aggressively everywhere I will be out of pocket even for my business miles

Its more of incentive to use cheaper fuel and drive more conservatively

They are saying its a health and safety issue im not one to argue so i just sick to 80 but i know some engineers have had warnings for repeatly going faster than 80.

We use a similar method i often have to pay for business miles if i drive my car hard and get less than 50mpg
BYRON

5th Oct 11 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tracker is a brand, and telematics is the industry reference.

I work with telematics companies and predominantly field based engineer end users and the scope of what the can do and the benefits is massive.

Telematics enables businesses to make intelligent decisions using real-time field status information.
Basic Telematics can provide current and historic routes and locations, dynamic search functions, geozones, points of interest, exceptions and alerts, trip records and odometer, online and email reports
• Increase business intelligence
•Increase dispatch and supervision efficiency
•Increase utilisation
•Strengthen compliance
•Increase quality of service to your end customers
• Simplify fleet administration
•Strengthen duty of care
•Reduce operational costs and environmental footprint

Additional features can do provide fuel usage, Co2 emissions, high engine rpm warning, real idling (engine running and vehicle stationary) and diagnostic fault codes with short text description of problem.
• Understand fuel cost of every trip, driver, and vehicle
•Develop strategies based on accurate data
•Reduce fuel usage, Co2 emissions, service and breakdown
• Allows proactive fleet administration
•Strengthen duty of care

Endless really. As has been said before, the van is the companies asset - why cant they have visibility of it? If you do your job as intended, you will have nothing to worry about.
taylorboosh

5th Oct 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i honestly cant see why people think its a problem tbh

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » what grounds do companys have putting gps tracking devices on there fleet 23 database queries in 0.0170300 seconds