corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Britain's best driving road?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Britain's best driving road?
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Dec 11 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just to clarify, no matter what road you find, or how scenic it is you will never be able to drive it like you can on a track
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to double clarify that doesnt mean you cant have fun on a decent road, but its no substitute for a track
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

k?
mwg

6th Dec 11 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. Look at that picture, there is nothing like it apart from maybe another road in the Lakes or Scotland. 25 miles on that road without seeing a corner that is the same as another.

Having to overtake other cars, cars going the other way, narrow parts of the road etc. etc. is all part of the fun to me.

[Edited on 06-12-2011 by mwg]
Warren G

6th Dec 11 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

/\ LIKE

Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hate to say it but I've got to agree with Steve. You can't drive properly fast on the road but track and road driving are generally completely different experiences for me. Track means full on attack mode, adrenaline pumping, dry mouth etc. a nice road means a relaxed but brisk drive with something good to look at and still needing some thought on getting round the bends.
John

6th Dec 11 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is a road not more challenging than a track then? you have to take loads of other factors into account than just spinning off into some gravel.
Adam_B

6th Dec 11 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer going for a smash down some decent roads because I dont have to sit in a room for 45mins looking at flags and it doesn't cost me £200
mwg

6th Dec 11 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's fun to me, not disputing that you could push harder on a track but I don't have to be driving the car at 100% of its potential all the time to have fun.

Not interested in going round and round the same piece of smooth wide tarmac. Each to their own though.

John

6th Dec 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about spending 6 months of the year preparing a car for track for one outing Matty? That not float your boat?
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the problem is you get people driving like idiots on the road then thinking they are driving flat out and are some kind of driving genius
Fonz
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
They're all the same link mate Newbury to Wantage looks good though, not that far from me so may have to try it Got a couple of days off next week

this is a great piece of road, tight in places, it wouldn't offer room for error. i used it fairly often as the in Laws are in Newbury (i am in Wantage)

the A338, Hungerford>Newbury Road is equally rewarding, more open and predictable than the 4494 i find
Rick Draper

6th Dec 11 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cat and Fiddle is shit now, 50mph average speed cameras on it.
mwg

6th Dec 11 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
the problem is you get people driving like idiots on the road then thinking they are driving flat out and are some kind of driving genius

why is that a problem when all this thread about is what roads people like driving on in britain
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ur the problem as you brought tracks into the equation with your statement
John

6th Dec 11 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a toll road? Any good toll roads that we could call tracks?
Nath

6th Dec 11 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
What about a toll road? Any good toll roads that we could call tracks?

mwg

6th Dec 11 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
ur the problem as you brought tracks into the equation with your statement

I only said your roads are crap down south thats why you go on tracks. Then you started waffling on about driving on tracks

Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i swear to god someones going to get fought
John

6th Dec 11 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't find my Fabia picture to illustrate but in answer to the question, anywhere North of Glasgow is great.
chris_uk
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To say you cant drive like on public roads like you can on a track isn't exactly true.

If you are driving down hill and you can see the twisting road and you can see there are no cars in sight then whats to stop you committing to the corners like you would do on a track?

The real difference is that the public road is not always going to have perfect conditions, there may be potholes, leaves on the road causing it to be slippy, an animal running across the road, gravel spilt, paint or any number of things lying on the tarmac which could cause incidents or worse. The fact is that driving fast on a road is no different to driving on a track (take hillclimbs for example or city based tracks, they are still using public roads its just that they have been maintained and have been made safe etc)

John

6th Dec 11 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use the full width of the road if I'm out for a blast and can see clearly.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres laods of difference, hill climbs are closed off roads for a start just like rallys are

i dont think id ever commit to a corner on a road quite like i would on a track, its not just crashing into cars thats the problem, you have zero run off and obstacles like lamp posts etc etc

Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
It's fun to me, not disputing that you could push harder on a track but I don't have to be driving the car at 100% of its potential all the time to have fun.

Not interested in going round and round the same piece of smooth wide tarmac. Each to their own though.

You where saying people drive on track because they don't have good roads locally. There's only OJC that's said roads are boring but we all know what he's like.
mwg

6th Dec 11 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said southerners, you are northern

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Britain's best driving road? 22 database queries in 0.0136602 seconds