corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra vxr- any good ??

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra vxr- any good ??
stevenc89

User status: Offline
29th Dec 11 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jono22
Okay as I say think I will just leave it with regards this vxr, to be honest guys have to say thanks for being so honest with your thoughts, so many folk will stick up for there own cars manufacture no matter what car but I think the general opinion off the astra vxr is that it can have its fair share off costly repairs / unreliablty issues.

having just been over to vxronline and reading a few posts it would seem mpg figures vary wildly, some reporting low 20s and some saying as high as high 20`s on town driving which is what I 99% drive at.

gearbox is gash for being reliable
destroys tyres if you drive like i do,
mpg, i get about 22mpg that is very varied driving and my mate is 31mpg just now
and he drives it 50/50

I love them then again iam bias haha very good looking cars, although i would reverse the map
big eck

29th Dec 11 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I waited for a while for the vxr to drop in price so I could afford to buy one as I loved the look of them. How gutted was I when it all went tits up after only 3 weeks lol.

The gearbox issues is not an Internet myth, the amount of failures that I've heard about on here and the huge amount on aon and vxr online just proves it's a very expensive weak spot.
big eck

29th Dec 11 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:
Originally posted by big eck
Nice looking cars but pretty fragile. Mine had £3.5k worth of REPAIRS done in 6 months and the car was only 4 yrs old with 32k miles.

The gearbox costs £1340 for a rebuild. The rest was on a new Intercooler, full air con system and other bits and bobs.

Would never have another one.

Can get gearbox rebuilt a lot cheaper than that.

Not brand new you can't. I had to replace the clutch cylinder, diff pin and other bits as well so it wasn't a simple bearing replacement.
Lee Wilson

29th Dec 11 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone know what it is that causes the gearboxes to go?
Joe

29th Dec 11 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changing gear too often and letting the clutch out too fast I think was ollies theory.
mattant

29th Dec 11 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I get irritated when people defend stuff just because they like it.

Yes I appreciate people have a passion for particular makes, but you can still priase something yet remain partial to its flaws, no car is perfect, and the vxr is a good car but does suffer from unusally high cases of gearbox failure.

I like 106 gtis, and will always priase them but will still advise anyone to watch out for gearbox problems if they are seeking advise, in a way, owners are some of the worst people to ask advice from because a lot of the time there passion and bias clouds there judgement

I agree with you, which is why I try and not read reviews from owners. When I was looking at cars all the reviews said, "I've owned the car for a week and it's great"
Steve
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Wilson

i dont think anyone knows for sure, but from the failures iv seen looks like manufacturing flaws with the casing where one of the races for the bearings sits as its seems to be the same bearing everytime and there is no pre load on it, only as said the casing that holds the race
Jambo

29th Dec 11 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Granny shifting not double clutching like you should
Nath

29th Dec 11 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too many F&F shifts. It's changing from 8th to 9th that does it.
smcGSI16V

29th Dec 11 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Lifted from AON.

The maximum input torque for the M32-6 manual transmission is 320 Nm. The 1.9CDTi (150) delivers 320Nm at 2000-2750 rpm.

Symptoms can be

•Whining Noise in 6th gear at motorway speeds
•Gearstick movement in 1st gear on release of the clutch
•Gearstick movement in 6th gear at motorway speeds
•Gears slip when pulling off, feels a bit like clutch slipping

These symptoms indicate bearing failure on the lower main shaft. Usually a single bearing.

I'm beginning to think that it just isn't a co-incidence that the failed bearing is right next to to power route for 6th gear. My car spends most of its time cruising in 6th gear.

As the 1.9CDTi delivers the maximum torque of 320Nm at 2000-2750 rpm, in 6th gear, this represents a cruising speed of 70-80mph.

Reviewing the technical data, the engine delivers torque at the limit of the gearbox at standard power.

The addition of any remap or tuning box will instantly take the torque beyond the stated limits of the gearbox. As such, I don't feel anyone should complain when they gearbox fails after tuning.
Jambo

29th Dec 11 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon it's because the Astra VXR's race gearbox is so finely tuned and high stressed that only a true racing driver could tame it.

Plus it would appear using driving gloves drastically reduces wear on the gearbox...........
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
quote:

Lifted from AON.

As the 1.9CDTi delivers the maximum torque of 320Nm at 2000-2750 rpm, in 6th gear, this represents a cruising speed of 70-80mph.
That's fine, but if you're cruising then you've not got your foot flat to the floor with the engine creating 320Nm of torque. You'll only be at partial throttle so it will be making nothing like that. Also if you were really giving it some then you're not going to be flat out at that rev range in any other gear than first.

What is the peak torque of the VXR though? Surely it's not close to 320Nm?

Not saying this isn't why the box breaks or anything, but that was just my thoughts when I read that comment.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
big eck

29th Dec 11 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if anyone maps there vxr the gearbox will deffo fail??? Piss poor design then.
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbf although manufacturers know that ultimately some cars will be modded, they can't be expected to design for every possibility. Also there's no knowing how far tuning will go, I doubt someone at Vauxhall once said "one day these VXRs will be tuned to 400bhp" or whatever it is they're at now.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Jambo

29th Dec 11 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But it happens to std ones Dave.
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Admittedly, yes, that is bad design. But saying it's a bad design because it breaks after a remap is silly imo as it's not designed to work under that much load.

But yeah you'd have thought they'd make it so it was capable of taking standard power

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
29th Dec 11 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went out in mine yesterday and it was fine, don't know what all the fuss is about.
Nick-S

29th Dec 11 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice car. Quick, but need abit of money throwing at them to make them interesting to drive.

I drove one back to back with an R26 Meg and it was not as nice to drive. Less car for the money compared to the Meg also.
A2H GO

29th Dec 11 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"The maximum input torque for the M32-6 manual transmission is 320 Nm. The 1.9CDTi (150) delivers 320Nm."

Typical example of Vauxhall cutting corners, surely you would use a gearbox with a higher torque limit than what the car actually produces.
Jambo

29th Dec 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contruary to blinkered brand whores they are cheap hatchbacks made on a budget to make a profit with small margins.

So corners will be cut, quality is standard for a cheap fwd hatchback and the cost reflects it.

I have driven a couple and enjoyued the drive a lot. However it was just a solid cruiser. Good for Mways like the previous Astra. Megane is like night and day. Jump in that it has a purpose and makes you want to do 100mph everywhere full throttle grinning ear to ear.
Joe

29th Dec 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ollie is defo evens to rage quit next after this.
Jambo

29th Dec 11 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sold the S3 Joe?
Joe

29th Dec 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No mate, still not been bothered to clean it. Therefore still not advertised.

I'll sort it one day.
Jambo

29th Dec 11 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U2U me bout it sexy
A2H GO

29th Dec 11 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

So corners will be cut, quality is standard for a cheap fwd hatchback and the cost reflects it.

Swings in roundabouts, the money they saved skimping on the gearbox will have been spent replacing them all under warranty, they just happen to give themselves a bad name in the process.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra vxr- any good ?? 23 database queries in 0.0190010 seconds