corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 10 Pages

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 10 Pages
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Jan 12 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it wad the other way round it'd all be kicking off!

Ollie knows the score.
Nic Barnes

5th Jan 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because the comment was about white people, it will all be forgotten by the time i click post quick reply. nobody cares.
Gary
Premium Member

5th Jan 12 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
i think to be racist it depends on the context its said

Refering to anyone as a white person or black person is racist really, as not all white folk are the same and neither are black folk.
Gary
Premium Member

5th Jan 12 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
because the comment was about white people, it will all be forgotten by the time i click post quick reply. nobody cares.

Racist
Nic Barnes

5th Jan 12 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not racist gary. its pretty obvious the media and the world aren't available when a comment like that is made, yet if it was the other way around well it would be 8 game bans all over the place. its strange really.
Gavin
Premium Member

5th Jan 12 at 23:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Gavin
The precedent is set, so abide them, else face the same consequence

Cant set rules and then not follow them
And do you think the rules are proportionate?

ie. she can just apologise and its fine - ie. I'm not actually offended by her really and I personally don't think she should resign really, people do worse.

I can see that she meant don't do what white people did in the 19th century, even out of context I made that link.

My point is that we've got a race situation there where you can't say things like that - which itself is an out of touch point of view.

I see where you are coming from. I think the 'rules' are blown out of proportion. I think that in most cases, an apology may be suitable but sadly we're passed that point

I think I can see what she was trying to say, but then, we live in a society where you will be shot down for stepping out of line. This was a tweet, so she had time to think and check what she was broadcasting out to the world before pressing the submit button.

What really pisses me off is that people in such position are supposed to lead this country and set an example. Footballers who earn a fooking fortune can not keep their mouths shut. MP's are being idiots on tweeter. Jesus... most normal folks can go to work, abide by the rules set and earn a wage to feed their family. Cant see why its so hard for public people to set an example!

Regarding the use of black or coloured (mentioned in another post). Personally I dont like the word as its generic, lazy and old fashioned. What is coloured? Its kind of generalising everyone other than Whites into one group, making it a 'Us against the rest of them'. But am I offended by it, not really.
I had a conversation with a mate of mine with regards to Alan Hanson saying Coloured' on MoTD. I kind of agreed with my mate who said that its sometimes difficult to know what to call people of a non-white colour. A few years ago it was 'acceptable' to call a black person coloured but times have moved on. The word 'coloured' is an aging word, slowing dying out. I think the word 'Black' will start to die out and get replaced by Afro-Caribbean (ops sorry, you're not supposed to say Afro-Caribbean, its African-Caribbean!) African-American, West Indian etc etc etc...

my head hurts

[Edited on 05-01-2012 by Gavin]

pew pew pew pewwwww
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Jan 12 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The word 'coloured' is an aging word, slowing dying out.
You see this is where I get confused, because for me its the past tense of the verb 'to colour', which means to give something a tint or hue, which is actually fairly scientifically correct?

Its all a bit mad when you have to not use the right word just because some people decided its taboo now.

Surely African-American is also a bit of a misnomer. Most black people in America are American, nothing African except for some distance heritage, no different to me wanting to call myself Welsh-English with a bit of some other stuff probably. It's so not relevant to me I don't even know.

And what is the British equivalent? African-British? Do all black people come from Africa now?
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Jan 12 at 23:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So is Afro bad now? What's the hair style called when you are a black man and let it grow called now?
Dave

5th Jan 12 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does that mean we can no longer be called white, should we be Anglo-European or something?
taylorboosh

5th Jan 12 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eventually if racism is to be truely eradicated then a black person will then be known as just a person, same as everyone else
Gavin
Premium Member

5th Jan 12 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
The word 'coloured' is an aging word, slowing dying out.
You see this is where I get confused, because for me its the past tense of the verb 'to colour', which means to give something a tint or hue, which is actually fairly scientifically correct?

Its all a bit mad when you have to not use the right word just because some people decided its taboo now.

Surely African-American is also a bit of a misnomer. Most black people in America are American, nothing African except for some distance heritage, no different to me wanting to call myself Welsh-English with a bit of some other stuff probably. It's so not relevant to me I don't even know.

And what is the British equivalent? African-British? Do all black people come from Africa now?

I'm as confused as you with what is acceptable?

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
So is Afro bad now? What's the hair style called when you are a black man and let it grow called now?

Can't remember where I heard this, but yeah, some people insist on the full pronunciation

pew pew pew pewwwww
Gavin
Premium Member

5th Jan 12 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whilst on the point of being confused...

if someone asked me what colour I was, I'd say "Half Cast". This is what I was born up saying so thats what I continue to say. I find this acceptable whilst others dont and would probably insist on labeling me as Mixed Race, which is usually the only option to tick when I go to fill our a form lol

Mixed Race which means jack shit IMO really as that could mean half Chinese, half Italian.

pew pew pew pewwwww
taylorboosh

5th Jan 12 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As could half cast?

If every race are equals then why should anyone declare it on any form
Russ

5th Jan 12 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Eventually if racism is to be truely eradicated then a black person will then be known as just a person, same as everyone else
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Jan 12 at 23:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with john on the seeing people as people thing.

Not sure if you saw my post in the Suarez thread about it but I often had problems in work dealing with people who despite claiming to be politically correct still used race and disability as their primary recollective tool.
taylorboosh

5th Jan 12 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

explain - russ

[Edited on 05-01-2012 by john-d]
James

5th Jan 12 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
How's your new job James?

Good thanks mate, really interesting subject area actually. Currently learning about oil tankers and shipping!
Jake

5th Jan 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mixed race is worse than half cast imo
mattk

5th Jan 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Calling someone a coon for me isnt racist. Battering someone or not letting them on a bus because of their colour is racist

Id be happy being called a snowflake if I could call a black a nig nog

its nothing more than childish namecalling that has been blown up by people that have nothing else better to think about, to the point where people that dont really care but are scared to have an opinion will nod and agree
Sunz

5th Jan 12 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I don't agree, just need people to stop discriminating against others based on the colour of their skin, can still have a "black person" and a "white person" maybe it's in a mental sense that you meant it, within the mind !

Might be badly worded but some people could take that as - Everyone is a person apart from black people, rather then how I'm sure you wanted it to come across is that everyone is just a person and all equal.

Need to educate people better, there is way too many problems with people just generalizing about others rather then seeing it for themselves.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 12 at 00:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
Need to educate people better
Really? What more can you teach me.
Jake

6th Jan 12 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

long hair
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 12 at 00:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even when its a big ball on your head?

Long hair is surely straight and downwards?

Must we lose accuracy in pursuit of PC?
Jake

6th Jan 12 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think about it though
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 12 at 00:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did, then I posted, now I await an answer.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 10 Pages 23 database queries in 0.2519362 seconds