corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » McWillster's Body Project Thread - Update: Where it's all at..

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author McWillster's Body Project Thread - Update: Where it's all at..
McWillster

User status: Offline
22nd Mar 12 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for that Laney, will have a proper look at the weekend!

Rob, it's not just the fact my forms shite with any kind of weight that will provide decent muscle stimulation. Even with a low to moderate weight on the bar where i can keep strict form, the pressure it puts on my lower back leads to the same issues.

I realise it's my loss by not doing these exercises, but i'm not willing to put myself at any kind of risk in terms of health later on in life. At the end of the day, it's not that serious... Just looking to build a more muscular physique, and still be able to walk in 5 years..
McWillster

22nd Mar 12 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yesterday was Shoulders & legs:

Won't go into the fine details of the workout as i'll just be constantly repeating the same shit.

Managed to go up from 30kg DBs - 32kg, so a total strict OH press weight of 64kg for 3 sets of 12.

Tried something new yesterday as well which burned the shit out of my shoulders! Felt like i'd built all kinds of muscle!

Included a superset of Arnold press on my last set of OH. Then did another 2 straight sets of Arnold press after that.

Used 16kg DBs as my shoulders were nailed by this point. Really felt a good burn off this excercise and will be including these in my shoulder routine from now on.

For legs i did 4 sets of leg press till failure.

Then did 4 sets of lunges holding onto 36kg dumbells.

Legs were buggered and woke up this morning with massive DOMS due to not training them for a while... oops.

Then i just walked back to my car, couldn't face jumping on the treadmill after the lunges!
McWillster

3rd Apr 12 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another little update on where this little lot is all at.

Basically since i last posted, i have only really been eating maintenance calories but have been training very hard.

Still seeing increases in all lifts and body fat is continuing to fall off gradually.

Just to give you a little insight to where i am with lifts.

Recently managed 100kg x 6 Bench press which is nearing my goal of using 100kg as my working weight by the end of April!

Also managed to press 45kg DBs on a slight incline for 10 reps as well, so to say i was chuft with that was an understatement!!

Can now comfortably do around 12-14 pull-ups with good form which i am so happy with as i'm still in the region of 95-100kg BW. And to think before i started this i couldn't do 1 dodgey pull-up!

Everything else is coming along nicely aswell, strict shoulder press is now up from 64kg to 70kg.

Legs are improving and more weight being throw on leg press weekly.

Will need to take another body fat % reading in the next couple of weeks and see where it's at. Looking to go on a cut in 3 or so weeks (Begining of May) See if i can shed 3-4% off just before summer.

Will take some before and after pics and make a little update on tranformation once cut is complete.

Also, found the wonders of the morrisons salad bar, will take a little pic at lunch time and show you what i'm eating on currently!

Thanks again for reading!
Whittie

3rd Apr 12 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent progress buddy, good news on the bench press too!
McWillster

5th Apr 12 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been substituting my 12pm pasta meal with this now just to try cut out a little carbs from my diet. Also have a protein shake for pudding.
McWillster

18th Apr 12 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last week of being able to eat whatever i want (within moderation). As of Monday i begin my 5-6 week Cyclical Ketogenic Diet.

After reading the little lot i am away to post below this, it really does seem to make sense in terms of fat loss and muscle prevention. So i will be sticking to this to a T. Current BW is sitting at 96kg, (217lbs, 15st 7) I am currently estimating my BF % at around 13%. Starting to see general outline of stomach muscles and BF on other areas of body is low enough to see decent enough defination.

The goal will be to cut around 12lbs. This should take me down to the region on 7-9% BF.

On Sunday i will be taking photos of where i am now, and then again after 3 weeks, and again once cut has been completed. I will upload these pics at the beginning of June.

See below for a comprehensive breakdown of the Keto diet i will be following. It's quite a read but there is some brilliant advice and info in it. The only thing i will not be doing, is following there workout routine, I will be continuing with mine, implementing Deadlifts on back day and Squats on Leg day.

The Cyclical Ketogenic Diet: True Fat Loss

In recent media, low carbohydrate diets have been THE fad for almost everybody in America wanting to lose weight. From your secretaries, elementary school teachers, and desk clerks, to bodybuilders, models, actresses, and athletes.

However, there is a huge difference between those who follow an Atkins plan and those who follow a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD). Atkins is a low carb plan for those who are quite sedentary, walk maybe 3 times a week at the most, and just follow normal everyday activities. So forget Atkins here. The CKD is for those who’s main concern is true fat loss and muscle preservation—muscle for sports and high intensity activities.

My opinion for those who practice Atkins is that while they do lose fat, there is much water loss and most importantly muscle loss. Something we athletes do not want. A CKD is a true fat loss diet that works undeniably, if followed properly and strictly. Yes, low carb diets can be hell at first, but after two to three weeks, there have been anecdotal reports from many dieters that the cravings for carbohydrates decrease. This route to fat burning is unlike any traditional diet all the low-fat diet authors and FDA people have been advocating in history.

I got turned onto this diet a few years back when I got tired of cutting fat and still not being able to lose those last percentage points of bodyfat without losing hard earned muscle. I would start a low-fat diet, and be a either a social misfit (not going out with my friends to party or not going out to eat). Or in the worse case, feel so deprived of delicious junk foods I missed and bail out on the diet all together. One advantage to this diet is that there is no true restrictions on food. One may eat anything labeled a "food"! Well, almost. I’ll explain later.

How the diet works.

The science behind the CKD is simple. Carbohydrates in the diet cause an insulin (a "storage" hormone) output in the pancreas. It is used to store glycogen, amino acids into muscles, while causing excess calories to be stored as fat. So common sense asks me, "How can one try to break down fat, when your body is in a storage-type mode?" Difficult to do, indeed. That is why it makes perfect sense for step one to be cutting carbs.

The next thing that happens in your body is the rise in catecholamines (a "fat mobilizing" hormone), cortisol (a "breakdown" hormone), and growth hormone. Now your body realizes there’s no more carbs to burn for energy, so it must find another energy source: fat.

This usually happens during a metabolic condition called "ketosis." This is when your liver is out of glycogen and starts to produce ketones (by-products of fatty acids). You can check your status of whether or not you are in ketosis with urinalysis strips you can pick up at any local drug store called "Ketostix." Just urinate and see if it turns color. If so, you have ketones in the urine.

When the body is fed fat and protein, it will use dietary fat along with bodyfat for energy with protein going towards repair.

As a side note, there is another reason why this diet makes the most sense to use while keeping muscle. When one follows a high carbohydrate, low-fat, reduced-calorie diet, there’s a point when some bodyfat is burned, but when the body is still in a carbohydrate burning metabolism while trying to lose "weight," it will strip down precious body protein to convert to glucose for energy.

On the other hand, during fat metabolism, protein cannot be converted into free-fatty acids for energy. Although there is no scientific research done on this, there have been reports from followers that there truly is a "protein-sparing" effect. It makes sense doesn’t it? Where else would the body look for fat energy when all dietary fat is burned? Bodyfat.

Diet Requirements Mon. to Fri.

The phrase "working smarter, not harder" applies here more than any diet one has tried. One must fully understand what they must do in order to optimize their goal. To set a CKD up, one cannot just expect to cut all carbs in the diet, train hard, and lose fat! Although some have come up with variations to this plan, the one stated in this article, I have found, has worked for myself (it got me to 6% BF), and other clients I’ve trained to the leanest, hardest they’ve ever been.

First, to set up the diet, write down your lean mass weight. Not your total weight, dough boy. If you weigh 200, but have 20% bodyfat, your lean mass weight would be around 160 pounds. Multiply this by one, getting your grams of protein requirements for a day. Make sure you eat at least one gram of protein/pound of lean mass! This is important in recovery from workouts and enough nitrogen retention to keep muscle. Next, multiply by four, to get your protein calories. Here, it is 640.

The rest of your caloric requirements for the day should be fat. Here is the catch: you must eat fat to burn fat. There’s no way around it. There are many advantages to dietary fat on this diet: Feeling of fullness since fat digestion is slow (less hunger), tastes great, and lowers blood glucose levels (lowering insulin and allow all the fat burning hormones to do their job).

So how much fat? I always recommend starting out with a 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance calories. If you don’t know, it is usually 15 times body weight (full body weight here) depending on an individuals metabolic rate. So here, the example would need 3000 calories a day to maintain weight, and 2500 calories to begin fat loss.

2500 minus 640 (protein calories) is 1860 which works out to be around 206 fat grams a day. Now as you go deeper into the diet, and find the need to restrict calories more, you must cut fat calories, not protein.

The Weekend Carb Load

Since muscle glycogen is the main source of energy for anaerobic exercise such as weight training, we cannot simply deplete all stores while working out and not fill them back up. If that does happen, be rest-assured that the body WILL use protein for fuel then. But this won’t happen on the CKD.

Your one and a half days of "freedom" allow you to do two things: First, reward your carb cravings from the previous days, allowing you to enjoy pleasures like pizza, pasta, breads, etc. Second, eating these things are physiologically rewarding as insulin levels run high, storing amino acids and carbs, as glycogen, into the depleted muscle allowing you to be able to workout again the following week.

Your "carb-up" should begin Friday night and last until around midnight Saturday. Now the next important issue to address is how many carbs. Some lucky individuals find that they eat whatever they want for the 24-30 hour time interval and receive perfect glycogen compensation, while others rely on a better statistical number.

What has been recommended by other authors of the CKD is 10-12 grams of carbs per kilogram of lean mass. Again, time to do math. Our example had 160 pounds of lean mass, so divide that by the conversion factor of 2.2, and we get roughly 73 kg.

100 Grams of easily digested liquid carbs along with around half as many grams of carbs in protein (here 50) as a whey shake or something of that nature should be taken right after the last workout (which I will address in the workout section of the article) when insulin sensitivity will be at its greatest.

A few hours later this individual will start to spread the remaining 630 grams of carbs, along with the important number of 160 grams of protein (remember, keep this constant) during the remainder of the compensation period.

So what about dietary fat? I know you’re reminding yourself, "Didn’t this guy mention pizza?" Yes, I did. And here’s why. During the first 24-30 hours of carbing up, the body will use all dietary carbohydrates to refill glycogen, protein for rebuilding, and get this: fat for energy. Still?

Just like the previous five and a half days. Makes sense. When all the carbohydrates are being used for more important functions (muscle), what else is there to be used? However, you can’t just eat all the fat you want. Keep grams of fat intake below your body weight in kilograms. Again, here our example will keep is fat below 73 during the carb-fest.

By anecdotal reports, this should keep fat regain minimal to nil. Keeping fat intake extremely low has even caused some extra fat burning during the carb up!

As stated before, some dietary fat should be eaten to slow digestion and keep sugar levels stable. Whether it be saturated, unsaturated, or essential fats, is the dieter’s decision. All have nine calories per gram. (Note: there is a claim that essential fatty acids such as flax seed oil increase insulin sensitivity within the muscle cells, in turn, increasing glycogen intake.)

In Case You Missed It

So here’s how it breaks down during the week: Sunday through Friday afternoon , you will follow the low carb diet outlined above. Eat fat and protein all day everyday except on workout days because after workouts, you will need to consume strictly just protein—no fat or carbs.

Some have found to enjoy a protein shake afterwards because they are easily digested. Do whatever works for you. But fat is not logical since you want the protein to fuel the healing process as quickly as possible and fat will only slow it down.

Friday afternoon, around two hours before your last workout of the week, eat two to three pieces of fruit. This will get your body/liver ready to start the carb loading and give you some energy for that final, dreadful workout (trust me, during the first few weeks, you will not want to do that final workout, but you must). Then from Friday night until Saturday at midnight or until bed, eat those carbs!

JordanR

18th Apr 12 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looool was gonna read this but im on my phone so ill do it later!

Basics of the diet?
McWillster

18th Apr 12 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, High fat (about 220g which will equate to about 1500 calories)

High protein (180g equating to about 500 calories)

Zero carbs between Sunday and Friday afternoon.

After last workout on a Friday, load up on carbs for 2 days until Sunday. So about 150g of complex carbs Friday night and same again on Saturday.

The idea is to fuel your body with carbs at the weekend so you have glucose etc.. stored in your muscle for the week to train.

And during the week, get your blood sugar levels low enough for your body to start burning fat as an energy source.

Pretty basic overview..
McWillster

23rd Apr 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought i'd continue to try make an effort in sticking more food up as requested!

So these have been making an appearance more often right now.

This badboy will be good during my keto diet, although there is a small amount of sugar in the milk used, i'll try keep it to a minimum sacrificing fluffyness

This was surprisingly minging But it served a purpose so meh!
These bad boys are helping loads in fat reduction, although not totally carb free, over the past month i've noticed a massive change in definition. The only thing that has changed has been eating more of these than my pasta meals. Ok i'm not as strong and the weights arn't going up much but i'm maintaining whilst loosing fat... So must be doing something right.

Literally just some chicken and bacon whith lettuce, sweetcorn, peppers and some pasta, topped with mayo.
McWillster

26th Apr 12 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the Keto diet started today!

Should be able to post plenty of photos of stuff i'm making as theres loads of stuff you can do! Far more interesting meals than chicken and pasta everyday!

Last night i had a play about with some snack ideas, made Grilled mushrooms with cheese. They were immense!

Then for lunch i made these:

3 chicken breasts stuffed with butter, wrapped in 9 slices of bacon topped with 1/3 tub off double cream and cheese. Will eat 1 tub at like 10 then the other for lunch!

This morning i was struggling for time, so just nailed a protein shake with water. Holy fuck do shakes taste BOKE without milk! Ohwell, hopefully worth the effort!

Cheers for looking.

[Edited on 26-04-2012 by McWillster]
Nismo

26th Apr 12 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it you are just purely after weight gain at the moment?

As you can kiss goodbye to any form of abs with that lot
McWillster

26th Apr 12 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
I take it you are just purely after weight gain at the moment?

As you can kiss goodbye to any form of abs with that lot

My intentions are the total opposite.

Break down the macros of those chicken wraps looks like this:

Protein - 40g
Fat - 60g
Carbs - 0g

So with those 3 breasts that will total 120g of protein, 180g of fat, 0g of carbs. As all i need to do after that little lot is have some kind of meat at night, eat a bag of peanuts and drink a couple protein shakes and i'm band on target for sticking to the Clinical Keto Diet i posted above.
Nismo

26th Apr 12 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in my experience i would say theres just to much fat in that little lot.

I have cut all fat back and in the space of 6 weeks abs have come right through.

To get lean theres such a fine line between eating the right amount, but everyone is different, i just know that if i went with that in a matter of weeks id loose the definition.

if it works then i take my hat off to you
McWillster

26th Apr 12 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could have probably just continued with my low carb diet and it would have worked ok, but i'm looking to loose a good few BF % in as short a time as possible and a keto diet is supposed to be an effective way of going about it.

If not much changes, or god forbid i put on weight in a couple weeks, i will re-asses the macros/ lower the fat intake.
Nismo

26th Apr 12 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, will be interested to see the outcome in a few weeks
Laney

26th Apr 12 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eating fat won't make you fat. Eating shit carbs and fat will make you fat.

Protein to rebuild, fat for energy, greens for nutrients.
McWillster

26th Apr 12 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never done a cut before. Anyone able to give me an idea of how much i am realistically looking to loose in terms of BF and weight??
Nismo

26th Apr 12 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney
Eating fat won't make you fat. Eating shit carbs and fat will make you fat.

Protein to rebuild, fat for energy, greens for nutrients.

Not strictly true, If i chomp on a bar of lard every day i will get fat.

Cheese, needs to be had in moderation.
AdZ9

26th Apr 12 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did Keto a few years back, worked wonders for me, although I did get bored of it after 8 weeks or so.

Good thing was, if I was put into a social situation where people were eating at McDonald's and I wanted to get something I would just order 2 double cheese burgers and take off the buns!

If a normal person started Keto they would drop a lot of water weight, but i'm guessing from you already losing weight on a low carb diet then you might of already depleted alot of water weight.

I would recommend getting some sugar free mints/chewing gum to have now and then, after a while of no carbs and once your body starts producing more Ketones your breath will be horrible, some people get an iron/metallic taste too like when your mouth bleeds. If it wasn't for the mints I wouldn't of stuck out the time frame I did!
BarnshaW

27th Apr 12 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is no way on earth that chicken with the bacon, butter etc contains 0 carbs.
Whittie

27th Apr 12 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
there is no way on earth that chicken with the bacon, butter etc contains 0 carbs.

Chicken has none, bacon has a little but its something mental like 0.5g per 100g. iirc
BarnshaW

27th Apr 12 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about the 1/3 cream, cheese and butter?
McWillster

28th Apr 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cream, cheese and butter all have very nominal amounts of sugar in them. Certainly not enough to make your blood sugar levels rise.

Thanks for the info Adz, already on the chewing gum, purely because these high fat meals are all very rich and leave a heavy after taste.

I'd be right in saying i can drink the odd can of Diet coke?? Says zero carbs/sugar but will sweeteners affect my sugar levels...?
McWillster

28th Apr 12 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a few more meals for you including macro breakdown.

3 x Sausages
4 x Bacon
3 x Eggs
3 x Mushrooms
1/3 of a jar of Mayo

Protein - 60g
Fat - 95g
Carbs - 5g??

All cooked in Olive oil.

400g of Chicken
1 x red Pepper
1 x Large Mushroom
75g of Green Beans

All cooked in Olive oil. The chicken was topped with a little curry powder and some Schwartz spices. Tasted ace! Also had a fucking wad of mayo with it to get some fats in.

Protein - 105g
Fat - 30-40g??
Carbs - 0g

[Edited on 28-04-2012 by McWillster]
Jimbothebarbarian

28th Apr 12 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Man these meals look fucking lush!

Can I still drink beer?

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » McWillster's Body Project Thread - Update: Where it's all at.. 23 database queries in 0.0165560 seconds