corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Higher mileage & more options or Lower mileage & less options?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Higher mileage & more options or Lower mileage & less options?
Graham88

User status: Offline
16th May 12 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only just got rid of the run flats on her Mini.. horrid things!!

It's nice, but it's also on the Isle of Wight and miles away
A2H GO

16th May 12 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a guide price mine is a year older than Maces and I paid under £11k from a dealer around 12 months ago, same options. I would expect to pay £9-10k now for similar spec, facelift etc.

BMW aero spoiler and BMW alpine upgrade and mine is finished.
Graham88

16th May 12 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just a case of trying to find the right car with the right specs, that's way under what I was thinking I'd have to spend so that's a winner if I can find the right one

Sounds good plans, I like the red, seeing as most of my cars have been red!

[Edited on 16-05-2012 by Graham88]
Mase
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
It's nice, but it's also on the Isle of Wight and miles away

Didn't look at the location!

Mase
Graham88

16th May 12 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graham88

16th May 12 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3678335.htm

Hasn't got Xenons but its alot cheaper than any others I've seen so far, whitter can Xenons be retrofitted? You can get the headlights for about £600 but it might be different wiring....
whitter45

17th May 12 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi mate

xexons can be retrofitted but its simply isnt worth it as you need to code ECU etc

Few guys are now doing these which i don't think think look too bad

Having had xexons on the 120D and not on the 118D I can say they perform much better and also look the part with DRL's

However my unit failed on the 120D and the cost was over £1500 to fix

Also if looking for xexons get ones with adaptive lights as they are much better

Do not think xenons will be a deal breaker for me but if you can get them they are a nice option to have
Graham88

17th May 12 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'm just used to them on my M3 and she has them on her Cooper S. Those Ring things in the headlights are really growing on me although I prefer the white ones?

I know they're expensive to fix, I really like that silver one I posted. Aslong as it has other spec the Xenons can be overlooked I suppose. And surely coding the ECU can't be that hard? Just a bit of ££
whitter45

17th May 12 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

silver one looks good as it has full leather and also the aero spoiler which finishes it off nicely
Graham88

17th May 12 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know what I didn't even notice that but I wondered why it looked so different
whitter45

17th May 12 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in terms of xenons they need coding but also a new footwell controller if its not a version 3 module which you can check on the barcode of the controller

Would also need new front bumper with washer jets etc

There is an adaptive kit out there that only requires the footwell module recoding or replacing but costs are still high
Graham88

17th May 12 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's true I didn't think of the bumper and washer jets with these new MOT rules. Might go have a look at the weekend
whitter45

18th May 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graham

you may want to make yourself aware of timing chain issues

like anything on the interet it cant be taken as gospel but my mate has had a few cars in his garage now woth this and the forums are appearing more and more with this listed

N47 engines to early Jan 2009 had a crank that caused the chains to be shaved down the side. This causes the problems, pulls the chain and wears the guides and can cause the chain to overrun the sprocket, snapping it. It makes an *intermittent* chatter when it starts due to just one part of the sprocket/chain catching (that quickly gets continuous).

After replacement of the crank with the new design of crank, they then found that there was more noise which was continuous - this was caused by the ribs on the inside of the guides (so I am told) catching the chain. This always is a more continous and quieter sound. Some unlucky people have had the engine out three times - once to swap the guides, then they swapped the crank, when they found that was the problem, and then they had them again to fit new guides....

So if you car is N47 built before about Feb 2009 you will need a new crank and shells, from Feb 2009 to sometime in 2011 you need new guides only.

Personally not had this issue on 3 N47 engines but be aware

can affect 116D, 118D, 120D and 123D engines
A2H GO

18th May 12 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^Not come across that issue before, interesting.

To do the xenon retrofit properly your looking at £2k+, need lights, balasts, bumper, washer jets, bottom arms, footwell module, switch, codeing and lot of other stuff.

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34566

Areo spoiler finishes the back of the hatches off nicely.

[Edited on 18-05-2012 by A2H GO]
CORSA NUT

18th May 12 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had this problem when buying our QashQai graham, we ended up goin the higher mileage/top spec and havent regretted it since, although we've just spent out £350 on the cambelt

Our was an 07 plate with 68k with Keyless, Nav, Dual climate, Panormamic sunroof with cover, Heated seats etc
whitter45

18th May 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
^^Not come across that issue before, interesting.

To do the xenon retrofit properly your looking at £2k+, need lights, balasts, bumper, washer jets, bottom arms, footwell module, switch, codeing and lot of other stuff.

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34566

Areo spoiler finishes the back of the hatches off nicely.

[Edited on 18-05-2012 by A2H GO]

Yeah not experienced it myself but my mate had a 118d in last week with exact problem on an 08.

http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35965
Graham88

18th May 12 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whitter is that a recall from BMW?

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Had this problem when buying our QashQai graham, we ended up goin the higher mileage/top spec and havent regretted it since, although we've just spent out £350 on the cambelt

Our was an 07 plate with 68k with Keyless, Nav, Dual climate, Panormamic sunroof with cover, Heated seats etc

She still really likes that Coupe doesn't stop going on about it. But it's 250miles away do can't exactly pop out & look at it! :-/

That's not even high mileage, I don't really know what I view as high mileage really? Sounds nice, I think the BMW's are mostly cam chain so that won't be a problem
John

18th May 12 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every time we get a BMW thread they seem to have more known issues that Vauxhall do?

Also, £1500 for a headlight seems a bit worse than £1500 for a gearbox.
Graham88

18th May 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You pay for quality, same as everything else in life
whitter45

18th May 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Whitter is that a recall from BMW?

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

She still really likes that Coupe doesn't stop going on about it. But it's 250miles away do can't exactly pop out & look at it! :-/

That's not even high mileage, I don't really know what I view as high mileage really? Sounds nice, I think the BMW's are mostly cam chain so that won't be a problem

not that I am aware - if you read the threads BMW will provide % pay as good will but its an engine out job with 12 hrs labour so on labour alone your looking at 1500 plus at BMW

Just to make you aware of it - like I have said I have had 3 N47 engines and never come across this

But my mate who is a mechanic has had a few in over the last few months
Sunz

18th May 12 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Every time we get a BMW thread they seem to have more known issues that Vauxhall do?

You have to expect a lot of faults when you buy quality, it's cutting edge technology, top of the game stuff.

£1500 is a fair price for a BWM headlight due to the quality of the item, it lights up the road in the night time and allows for safe driving in low light situations, German efficiently at it's best.
Jamescorsa97

18th May 12 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in exactly the same situation atm looking at 120D M Sport and 123D M Sport. test drove both and seem fantastic.

Thanks for pointing out the Chain issues.
whitter45

18th May 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
quote:
Originally posted by John

You have to expect a lot of faults when you buy quality, it's cutting edge technology, top of the game stuff.

£1500 is a fair price for a BWM headlight due to the quality of the item, it lights up the road in the night time and allows for safe driving in low light situations, German efficiently at it's best.

think you will find any xenon unit including igniter and ballast from any manufacturer will be over 1k per unit/side

Graham88

18th May 12 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamescorsa97
I'm in exactly the same situation atm looking at 120D M Sport and 123D M Sport. test drove both and seem fantastic.

Did you notice much difference?
quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
not that I am aware - if you read the threads BMW will provide % pay as good will but its an engine out job with 12 hrs labour so on labour alone your looking at 1500 plus at BMW

Just to make you aware of it - like I have said I have had 3 N47 engines and never come across this

So it's kind of like the subframe issue on the E46 then, ok cheers!
Jamescorsa97

18th May 12 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamescorsa97

Did you notice much difference?
quote:
Originally posted by whitter45

So it's kind of like the subframe issue on the E46 then, ok cheers!

Not really. obviously had abit more poke but i'm going for 120D, purely for mpg tax and insurance saving and 177 bhp is more than enough. Excellent drives.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Higher mileage & more options or Lower mileage & less options? 23 database queries in 0.0152662 seconds