corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Official government petition to make 'Engineer' a protected professional title

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Official government petition to make 'Engineer' a protected professional title
Ellis

User status: Offline
12th Jul 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

According to Wikipedia:

"An engineer is a professional practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical problems."
Bart

12th Jul 12 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h

Lets look at it another way, most people can self diagnose diseases with the aid of NHS direct. Does that make them doctors? No, years of training and experience makes them doctors. Why should being an engineer be any different.

This make no sense and is no comparison?
If the person has spent years diagnosing then it may be different.

neil h

12th Jul 12 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:
Originally posted by neil h

Lets look at it another way, most people can self diagnose diseases with the aid of NHS direct. Does that make them doctors? No, years of training and experience makes them doctors. Why should being an engineer be any different.

This make no sense and is no comparison?
If the person has spent years diagnosing then it may be different.

How old are you? I bet over the years, that you've made plenty of basic medical diagnosis e.g. Headaches, sprains, cuts, colds etc.
JamesMc

12th Jul 12 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started learning how to program CNC machines, would i come under the title "engineer"?
sand-eel

12th Jul 12 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally think engineers should be designers...even "project engineer" sounds weird as they just manage projects no hands on/ design there.
alan-g-w

12th Jul 12 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What title do you give the people on the shop floor nibnob?
sam-smith

13th Jul 12 at 05:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cannot be assed to read through everyones opinions in the thread right at this moment.

but to be an engineer you should have technical skills not just a degree, a lot of uni graduates i have met are fucking useless with a set of spanners and are also useless at 'inventing' things, they just went to uni and did the work. i did my apprenticeship to become a marine engineer and would be one of the first to admit that i was more of a fitter but i would also argue that the grads i have met dont deserve the title anymore than me
taylorboosh

13th Jul 12 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a telephone engineer
AndyKent

13th Jul 12 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a shame you can't 'dislike' a petition.....
Nath

13th Jul 12 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My job title is Service Engineer. Fuck knows what it 'should' be though. Service Technician I guess. Bothered much.
neil h

13th Jul 12 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Its a shame you can't 'dislike' a petition.....

Tbh that petition really isn't explained very well. Sounds more like a student whinging tbh.

Think the IEEE sums it up quite well.

"The title, Engineer, and its derivatives should be reserved for those individuals whose education and experience qualify them to practice in a manner that protects public safety''
RichR
Premium Member

13th Jul 12 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm an Engineer by qualification, specifically Naval Architecture/Marine Engineering. My bug bear comes when a snotty jumped up kid on the shop floor buys himself a Snap On tool kit and calls himself an Engineer.

I'm a member of RINA, the Royal Institute of Naval Architects and I'm working towards Chartered and Incorporated status, primarily to be able to say that I have them tbh

[Edited on 13-07-2012 by LiVe LeE]
cpcrampton

13th Jul 12 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halliburton do not allow you to call yourself an engineer unless you are chartered.

For example

Regards
Chris
CEng Sr Mechanical Engineer
spencer88

13th Jul 12 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is like me calling myself a chartered surveyor and putting RICS after my name because I have done my job for 3 years!

By the way, I am at Uni and work a normal week doing surveying, does this mean I am a Double Surveyor?
neil h

13th Jul 12 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I'm an Engineer by qualification, specifically Naval Architecture/Marine Engineering. My bug bear comes when a snotty jumped up kid on the shop floor buys himself a Snap On tool kit and calls himself an Engineer.

I'm a member of RINA, the Royal Institute of Naval Architects and I'm working towards Chartered and Incorporated status, primarily to be able to say that I have them tbh

[Edited on 13-07-2012 by LiVe LeE]

Finally Thankyou.
taylorboosh

13th Jul 12 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think my job title is customer service technition
taylorboosh

13th Jul 12 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(sp)
Nath

13th Jul 12 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
It is like me calling myself a chartered surveyor and putting RICS after my name because I have done my job for 3 years!

By the way, I am at Uni and work a normal week doing surveying, does this mean I am a Double Surveyor?

Who do you work for?
LeeM

13th Jul 12 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm workin in a factory over summer, I fixed a pneumatic sealing machine yesterday. Add that to my uni education so far and I'm well an engineer
ed

13th Jul 12 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I love how people with an engineering degree get annoyed at this. Massively anal.

They're massively anal because they've spent 4 years being trained to be massively anal
ed

13th Jul 12 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus a fresh graduate with an engineering degree is only partially entitled to become pissed off at the Sky monkey turing up at your house calling himself and engineer. If you're trying to complain about professionalism e.t.c. come back when you're a full member of the IMechE and have come close or already have the letters CEng after your name - that shows you're serious about your profession.
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Jul 12 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have over a year's workshop experience and I'll be starting my Masters year of a Mechanical Engineering degree in October at the University or Warwick, so not some arcs polytechnic. The degree is also accredited by the IMechE.

Not all students are useless and can't use a spanner, so to the people in the thread slagging students off, don't paint us all with same brush.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

13th Jul 12 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure there are plenty of people in the industry who are shit at their job, you don't hear students always complaining how they're all crap and useless do you?

MX5 Project Thread
alan-g-w

13th Jul 12 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What category do the people who've sat an engineering apprenticeship fall in in the uni grads' opinions?
neil h

13th Jul 12 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna go with technicians. Purely on the basis thats what I be (professionally accredited et al).

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Official government petition to make 'Engineer' a protected professional title 23 database queries in 0.0126698 seconds