corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling

Poll: power vs handling
Power 38 (55.88%)
Handling 30 (44.12%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author power vs handling
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
17th Jul 12 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neil's has more power therefore will accelerate faster therefore be quicker.
micra_pete
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the road, power every day.

I have
A puma, low power great handling.
A legacy GTB, fairly high power, average handling.

Whilst I love driving the puma, it needs the right conditions to make me smile, right weather, right traffic, right road,right mood.

The legacy has the ability to make me smile whenever I plant my foot.

When each is at its complete best which one provides the better driving experience is hard to split, but miles for smiles power wins out.
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i cant argue opinions.

John

17th Jul 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of cause you can.
Nic Barnes

17th Jul 12 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol@john I see what he did there
Jambo

17th Jul 12 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most people seem to be of the USA school of thinking in here.

Interesting
Nic Barnes

17th Jul 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't over take someone without power and can't overtake on corners.
Ben G

17th Jul 12 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
You can't over take someone without power and can't overtake on corners.

pastor maldonaldo disagrees.
Eck
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually think it's more dangerous trying to exploit the limits of handling on the road as opposed to a quick push of the loud pedal on a straight road.
antnee

17th Jul 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
I actually think it's more dangerous trying to exploit the limits of handling on the road as opposed to a quick push of the loud pedal on a straight road.

This. Its easy to use the full power/potential of a car in a straight line on the road but not around corners. I often go around some back lanes, I know they are quiet but you can never commit 100% like you can on track, also there is no run off usually if you miss your braking point
Sunz

17th Jul 12 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Most people seem to be of the USA school of thinking in here.

Interesting

Loads of power for 30mph limited roads, need at least 300bhp.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah pwoer for road and handling for track, although theres never really any opportunity to put your foot down on the roads these days even
Nic Barnes

17th Jul 12 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah there is son, I had close to 6th limiter on way to work on Saturday.
Paul_J

17th Jul 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When we talk about handling here, we're talking about does the car do what the driver wants it to do and how does it behave at the limit of traction.

For example, if I steam into a corner and as a driver turn my wheel, I want the car to turn in and not under steer...

but equally at the limit of traction, when the tyres are equally giving up, I want the car to be nice and controllable and not spit me off into a ditch.

Finally there's how the car handles if driven like a moron, how the suspension responds, whether the car easily gets out of control, whether the back spins round easily etc.

- The problem though when talking about handling is the fact that a lot of 'how a car handles' is determined by the guy driving the car and whether he knows how to drive the car well. By putting the correct inputs in and controlling the weight of the car moving about, even a crap car could 'handle well' and equally a 'brilliant handling car' could be useless if the person doesn't know how to drive it.

Whether on a track or on the road, 'handling' is ultimately quite subjective. A great stiff chassis may be acclaimed to be a great handling car, but a muppet may spin it all the time. Contrastly, a poor handling car which is easier to drive may go faster in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

--- so... ultimately... this talk of handling is hard to quantify.

- Where as power... You have more of it. You press a pedal in a straight line... you go faster. Simple.

- That said, I'd prefer handling. A slower car that handles well teaches you a lot more about driving fast. Actually having to balance and control the car, brake later, control it on the limit, etc ... this makes a better driver and ultimately then when you have the power and the handling are a lot faster than most.

-- Generally people who focus on power never really learn how to actually drive a car and just boot it down the straights, then brake early for corners and mince about unsettling the car mid bend, before nailing it on the next straight.
Nic Barnes

17th Jul 12 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got bored after the 8th word.
3CorsaMeal

17th Jul 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with Chris, its all about the base you start with.

Shouldn't really need to pick power or handling, you should have a nice balance between the two, any decent car should handle well and have plenty of power to match

I think picking a corsa then deciding power or handling is for meanderthals

If you car doesn't really handle why you want to add more power, unless your building a drag car
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same, thing is what i dont understand is and i dont mean this disrespectfully to anyone who does track , i know nothing about it having not done it myself but why spend thousands and thousand on a FWD car that will not be fast in straight line or not be fast in the corners without chucking money at it.

why not just buy an old E36 325 or 328 or a 1995 sti impreza or similar and it will no doubt handle better, be faster and be cheaper to start with?

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by BarnshaW]
3CorsaMeal

17th Jul 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem is people with shit cars who think they can build a supercar by wanking over the demon tweeks catalouge and shoving the parts on something never designed to be a performance car
Nic Barnes

17th Jul 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ignoring the burk, barnshaw makes very valid point.
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

end of the day you want to make the car stop, handle then go fast.

just like ian said, he feels his car needs more power now but thats after umpteen trackdays of driving a decent handing car around the track but now just needs some power behind it.

i think the majority of people who are saying POWER (clarkson voice) dont even drive a car with more than 250bhp.
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not buy a car capabale in both areas to start with then?
Jambo

17th Jul 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cars are designed to move, if the car doesnt move how you ask it too, or doesnt feed back what it is doing - no matter the speed. Its not a very good machine IMHO. No matter the power.

Only exception for me was the Corsa. Never got bored of planting the throttle and the turbo kicking you in the back of the head.

That said, my clio was fun at 30mph, round any bend. Just popping to the shops was a hoot. Totally communicative car, gave you confidence, always knew what it was doing, torsinally rigid as hell. Didnt torque steer, engine liked being driven hard, gearchange got better faster you went.

Intoxicating.

Or Astra Gsi:

Go fast in straight line. felt like it was made of plasticine, no feedback from steering, jello chassis. crap suspension, understeer, skittish on poor surfaces etc.

But on an Mway it was a decent cruiser.

Depends how you drive a car and what you want from it I guess, so this thread will askew into a my dads harder than your dads state of affairs.

chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
why not buy a car capabale in both areas to start with then?

Budget i would assume.
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally dont agree with that as a good example of what i suggested above wont be much more then a clio 182 or a puma etc.
3CorsaMeal

17th Jul 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although it must be great fun having too much power and just planting it as Jambo says, i'd like a ridiculous car one day.

like setting off a massive firework kinda buzz

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling 24 database queries in 0.0185630 seconds