corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Metal Fabrication - Update it's finished

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Metal Fabrication - Update it's finished
ed

User status: Offline
6th Nov 12 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
Folder/bender at work has fingers and you remove the ones to clear the sides.
Which assumes the width of the bend is the same as the fingers.

Not saying its impossible, just thinking you'd not have complete freedom to bend around the width of the bag.

That's how CNC brake presses work - the fingers space themselves apart/position themselves so you can get some real neat and tight bends in things. I've designed stuff with mitred flanges that have been bent with no problems before, just need the right kit to be able to do it.
Ste
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 00:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian, we can do that. also, the dimensions are dictated by the bags it needs to fit in.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Nov 12 at 00:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure anyone with a CNC bender will be making log baggers.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Nov 12 at 00:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Ian, we can do that. also, the dimensions are dictated by the bags it needs to fit in.

That one on the link says 450mm wide with 280mm walls which gives 730mm although Matt's bags are 450mm wide when flat? That does seem quite narrow if they're not open. Ideally need the circumference of the mouth.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 02:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
drawings

any decent fabricator will sketch something on the back of a napkin in about 5 mins to knock that up

Its not a fucking house, it doesnt need an architect

If you want to waste the sheet. It comes 2440mm x 1220mm and is expensive, the trick is to make a few the same and not be left with any sheet left. I'm not really confident you could do that on a napkin.
why? It just needs a few measurements. It's bread and butter stuff for most fabricators and won't require massive technical drawings. Maybe the napkin was too literal an example to explain my point. Besides he only wants one. Not many

[Edited on 06-11-2012 by Steve]
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Nov 12 at 02:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because if you buy a sheet and don't use half of it, it will either need to be very expensive or not very profitable.

[Edited on 06-11-2012 by Ian]
Steve
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 02:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm no engineer or fabricator. But Iv seen the guy I was talking about knocking up massive bespoke fancy gates with parabolic curves and everything that have to be accurate for an exact opposite too based on a couple of sketches on a shitty notepad and a few measurements. I don't think it needs to be expensive or over engineered.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Nov 12 at 02:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fine, we'll use a shitty notepad and use the rest of the sheet for other things.
Nath

6th Nov 12 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Fine, we'll use a shitty notepad and use the rest of the sheet for other things.

mwg

6th Nov 12 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Ste

That one on the link says 450mm wide with 280mm walls which gives 730mm although Matt's bags are 450mm wide when flat? That does seem quite narrow if they're not open. Ideally need the circumference of the mouth.

On that link I'm reading that as it's 280mm wide because it then says below minimum net width of 450mm? 280mm width makes sense as the logs you put in the nets would be 9-10 inches long which is 228mm-254mm plus a few mm of tolerance for an odd log thats slightly longer... I'm not sure what the demand is like, all I know is I want one for less than Fuelwood sell them!

I'm still going to ask someone here for a price so I can cut out the postage if possible.

[Edited on 06-11-2012 by mwg]
craig8
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Tbh most fab shops will have excess materials available for doing that sort of stuff, it's usually costed into the job anyway

E36 328
Steve
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian is correct in the fact that if anyone was to do it, eg not someone who was an established fabricator, then it probably would need drawing on pc's or fancy drawings made to get it right, and then yes it would start to cost more, but proper fabricators work in instincts and experience with obivously a few sketches and measurements to work with hence why it will probably be a lot cheaper to go and speak to some old guy that works under a rented arch of a railway bridge with a fag hanging out the corner of his mouth that has rhino skin on his hands

3CorsaMeal

6th Nov 12 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/4667-log-bagging-device.html
ed

6th Nov 12 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Not sure anyone with a CNC bender will be making log baggers.

You'd be surprised.
LeeM

6th Nov 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm no engineer or fabricator.

really? you seem to talk like you are
Steve
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I talk from seeing how proper fabricators work (i was dating his daughter at the time) he still builds things for us though even though hes retired.

Iv seen things far more complicated than a tray with a hinge on a stand made, with some basic doodles and measurements

Not by a nice man that breaks pumas, or a bloke that builds clocks and makes dodgy CF roofs. Im quite certain either of these are capable of building it, just not in a cost efficient way as they dont have the skills built up of many years of doing it day in day out.

If you read back through this thread you will see this is also backed up by other people who are around fabricators (see noshuas post)

mwg

6th Nov 12 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/4667-log-bagging-device.html

Seen that thread already when I've been searching round for alternatives. None of them work as well as the tilting tray though, I've tried!
Steve
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stes offer sounds reasonable, are you not close enough to go get it from him?
mwg

6th Nov 12 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

80 miles each way
ed

6th Nov 12 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
http://www.fuelwood.co.uk/logbagging.html

I'm 99% sure that they would have used SolidWorks rather than a napkin when making this.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably, hence why it costs so much because they have spent time fucking around with computers when some guy in a shed with real skills could have cut out the bullshit and made it for quarter of the price.

How did people build stuff before computers

Eck
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ian is correct in the fact that if anyone was to do it, eg not someone who was an established fabricator, then it probably would need drawing on pc's or fancy drawings made to get it right, and then yes it would start to cost more, but proper fabricators work in instincts and experience with obivously a few sketches and measurements to work with hence why it will probably be a lot cheaper to go and speak to some old guy that works under a rented arch of a railway bridge with a fag hanging out the corner of his mouth that has rhino skin on his hands

You've got this way of debating that is reminiscent of a child. Not far off the "ask anybody" card that gets used to back up a point The only fabricator/welder I know is my dad, and to be fair to you he will knock things up from nothing more than a couple of sketches. However, the ones who are in the trade are more than likely going to ask for more than the likes of Ian for use of their skills!
Steve
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree in that if you know someone its going to be cheaper, i guess its luck of draw if you happen to know someone, that also happens to have the skills

Maybe my initial quote should have been, "I would pay £50 max to have that built"

Dan
Premium Member

6th Nov 12 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at all this talk of computer drawings for a farty little project like that. Gotta agree with a lot of steves points for once tbh.

Half our fabricators wouldn't even sketch it on a note pad, they would just knock one up and it would be ten times better than that I'm sure.

If you have a bench where u do your bagging, why not make it bench mounted, meaning far less materials. Just have it over hanging the bench so it tips over it. Couple of pins for hinges with r clips and u can tidy it away when done.

[Edited on 06-11-2012 by Dan]

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
mwg

6th Nov 12 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have a bench, it needs to be freestanding as some of my woods in a shelter outside and some of it's inside a building so I want to be able to move it to where I'm working

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Metal Fabrication - Update it's finished 23 database queries in 0.2698722 seconds