corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » RIM's new Blackberry leaked

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RIM's new Blackberry leaked
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st Jan 13 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope Apple will never do that. Jesus that thing is messy. Pull out menu's and settings everywhere...

Dom

31st Jan 13 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Best thing about OS 10 is the fact apple and google will steal the features and improve them
Between iOS, WP8 and Android there really aren't any exclusive features to steal from BB10.

Multitasking, camera shift-time, gestures.....

quote:
In short, if you want a phone that does pretty much exactly the same as the rest and nothing more.....

All smart phones are pretty much the same, so i don't get your point.

Tbf it sounds like you're jumping on the hate bandwagon for the sake of it and without any real argument.

In fact i'm not sure why there is all the hate towards Blackberry. The mobile market desperately needs competition and having Blackberry release a smart, slick, integrated and well presented OS can only be a good thing and will hopefully get other manufactures (iOS is near identical since launch, likewise Android) to pull their fingers out and update their archaic clunky OS's.
Dom

31st Jan 13 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I hope Apple will never do that. Jesus that thing is messy. Pull out menu's and settings everywhere...

I was with it until i saw the settings menu which then some how extends in to more menus Although certainly Apple needs to do something (ie: do an Android and add notification toggles) about toggling essential settings like WiFi, Bluetooth etc
Balling
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not trying to jump on any bandwagon, I'm just thoroughly disappointed in the lack of development in the phone market.

There's nothing on the market right now that makes me think I need to replace my 2.5 years old phone. Every time a new phone is announced I'm hoping to be excited by it, but it's all just the same as it was almost three years ago.

I agree that BB10 could have forced Android and Apple to innovate, but the fact is that what they've introduced is pretty much exactly the same as all the rest. So yet again we're treading water.

A2H GO

31st Jan 13 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

I was with it until i saw the settings menu which then some how extends in to more menus Although certainly Apple needs to do something (ie: do an Android and add notification toggles) about toggling essential settings like WiFi, Bluetooth etc

Like I said, it needs some Apple polish, I think the settings stuff is not needed as the settings app is only one click away but the full screen multi-tasking is cool since 90% of the screen is redundant when you access the multi-taking app tray.

[Edited on 31-01-2013 by A2H GO]
A2H GO

31st Jan 13 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's got to the point now where nearly everythings been done in some form or another making it difficult to truly innovate (at least without infinging on someones patent) and come up with something radical that is still easy to use, makes sense, simple.

There's a difference between innovating to improve people lives and innovating for the sake of it, for example Samsung innovate by introducing loads of new features everytime that noone ever uses. (I won't mention wireless charging ).

Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny interview, avoiding questions about Apple

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/blackberry-s-euro-md-bates-ignores-iphone-questioning-on-bbc-radio-5live/0110091
Dom

31st Jan 13 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Multitasking alone makes OS 10 better than other OS's (only other OS to have multitasking was WebOS)

I'm generally confused why you believe OS 10 is 'treading water' when it includes features and functionality that other OS's don't have. And that isn't an Apple's Never-seen-before-but-actually-have-five-years-ago-in-another-phone-new-feature™.
A2H GO

31st Jan 13 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out if interest (genuine question) what makes multi taking on BB10 better than Android?
Balling
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you link to the multitasking in action? From what I've seen in videos it works very much like the rest.

Balling
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Funny interview, avoiding questions about Apple

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/blackberry-s-euro-md-bates-ignores-iphone-questioning-on-bbc-radio-5live/0110091
Audio here:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/1184240-stephen-bates-rim-europe-managing-director-on-bbc-radio-5live-breakfast

Poor man.

Dom

31st Jan 13 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Out if interest (genuine question) what makes multi taking on BB10 better than Android?

Ones multitasking the other isn't. iOS/Android being the isn't.
Dom

31st Jan 13 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Could you link to the multitasking in action? From what I've seen in videos it works very much like the rest.

If there was a video then i would. But iOS/Android work on the basis of saving the apps state and then (fast) resuming - this isn't multitasking. True multitasking (eg - on a computer) allows the application to continue in the background; memory is obviously an issue but you have limits on the number of running applications.

Edit - forgot to mentioned that Apple have the 'Background' state but you're pretty limited with what you can do in the background process.

[Edited on 31-01-2013 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So on a day to day basis, and not from a technical point of view, how would I experience Z10's multitasking to be different?

A2H GO

31st Jan 13 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about android multi-window, two apps running together? And the pop out video thing you can do (that noone ever uses) where the video keeps playing whilst you do other stuff?

Also wasn't there a massive whoo-har about Apples multi-taking being fake compared to Android because it freezes the state...so Android actually does this too?
Rob_Quads

31st Jan 13 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So on a day to day basis, and not from a technical point of view, how would I experience Z10's multitasking to be different?

And this is the key question. Too many people talk about internals and ooow its got a Quad core / Hex Core, Deca Core. It makes no difference what core it has. Its the difference it makes to the user. The user does not care if its dual or quad core. If the dual core works but the quad core is slower having quad cores is not a good thing..

The user perspective of features is the important thing.
LeeM

31st Jan 13 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why does everyone wank off over multitasking? i dont see how it would make any difference at all to how a phone works
Dom

31st Jan 13 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What about android multi-window, two apps running together? And the pop out video thing you can do (that noone ever uses) where the video keeps playing whilst you do other stuff?

Also wasn't there a massive whoo-har about Apples multi-taking being fake compared to Android because it freezes the state...so Android actually does this too?

Android has dual windowing which is useful, more so if you have the screen real-state to do it, but it still doesn't do multitasking. Good example, open up Youtube app, play a feed and then go browse a site or send a text/email (ie: make the youtube app a background process) - Youtube will go into the 'standby' state until it's resumed. Same with iOS.
Memory is the main reason why this is done and it's why there is a 'open' limit (from what i've read it's based on recently used apps, limits is around 8 or 10, so the least used apps outside this limit get put into a standby state like iOS/Android) on OS 10 (and i believe the same applied to WebOS).

Balling - It's a closer experience to that of a multitasking desktop operating system.
Dom

31st Jan 13 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
why does everyone wank off over multitasking? i dont see how it would make any difference at all to how a phone works

As said, true multitasking allows you emulate an environment closer to that of a desktop OS.

Only last week i was on a skype call, needed to email a load of documents to the person (had to be CC'd in others so couldn't use the in built transfer) and couldn't. Had to end the call, then write/send the email then call them back.

When you start needing to use a phone to do work rather than watching cat videos then you soon realise how useful multitasking actually is.

mwg

31st Jan 13 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The hub is cool and the whole gestures thing, Android and iOS will hopefully steal some of that from BB10 and the Unbuntu OS.

Also, Apple should listen more to the jailbreak community, this iOS7 concept with some Apple polish would be incredible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv-r9UTGri4

what % of iPhone buyers will jailbreak their phone? Very small I suspect. I don't know anyone in real life that does. Only people of the internet realm seem to jailbreak iPhones
LeeM

31st Jan 13 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by LeeM

As said, true multitasking allows you emulate an environment closer to that of a desktop OS.

Only last week i was on a skype call, needed to email a load of documents to the person (had to be CC'd in others so couldn't use the in built transfer) and couldn't. Had to end the call, then write/send the email then call them back.

When you start needing to use a phone to do work rather than watching cat videos then you soon realise how useful multitasking actually is.

ive got a laptop, tablet and phone. i dont need to do everything with one device. i can see the odd time it may be useful. but having to call someone back after sending them an email is hardly the end of the world.
Dom

31st Jan 13 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
The hub is cool and the whole gestures thing, Android and iOS will hopefully steal some of that from BB10 and the Unbuntu OS.

Also, Apple should listen more to the jailbreak community, this iOS7 concept with some Apple polish would be incredible:

what % of iPhone buyers will jailbreak their phone? Very small I suspect. I don't know anyone in real life that does. Only people of the internet realm seem to jailbreak iPhones

Then again - what percentage of iPhone buyers know about jailbreaking, what it is and what it does?
I suspect the majority don't.
Russ

31st Jan 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know what it is, i know the benefits, i dont bother with its a pain in the arse
mwg

31st Jan 13 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:

Then again - what percentage of iPhone buyers know about jailbreaking, what it is and what it does?
I suspect the majority don't.

True. My point is if it's only a small percentage doing it Apple aren't likely to take notice if the masses are happy
Russ

31st Jan 13 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the masses arent happy, they are told they are happy

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll